GM High Tech Performance Magazine LOVES Vipers!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
OK, I've been holding my breath for two months as this story couldn't be "broken" until the January 2002 issue of the GM publication was circulated, but now.... IT'S TIME!

Page 24-27
SUPERCAR SHOOTOUT

Here's some excerpts:

"Here's the part where you groan. The Viper GTS is not only a Mopar, it's faster than a Z06. A lot faster."

"First up was the Z06. With the traction control switched off, Smitty did a brief dry burnout to clean the tires..... The smooth as silk run was anti-climactic and the timers froze at 12.42/112.7"

"Celebration was muted, for there was a menacing black Viper GTS sitting silently in the corner. ...... Time was wasting, and while the Z06 shifter was being ornery, the Viper clicked off two more great ETs, an 11.98/117.7 and 12.11/116.3. Hot weather or no, the Viper was making hay out of Chevy's best without breaking a sweat"

Absolutely great story, in a GM PUBLICATION!!!! ..plenty of pictures (even on the cover). Available on larger newstands now, and, I've ordered bulk copies so if you can't find one, just e-mail me.

You must be registered for see images

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to hear the "creampuff" cars doing 11's. And to think I heard it from GM first. Printing that story took balls. Now I can admire GM's editorial management as much as I admire their cars.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What an awesome article. I sure wish they would have tested the 02. I would have lent them mine. Should be good for another .2 and a couple of MPH. I love it when they do unbiased tests.

You have got to pick up this issue.

Thanks for telling me Joe. I picked up a couple of copies.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Oh yeah. My buddy has a 1,200 horse power TT 427 C5 that will smoke a viper anyday . . . "

Thats what Im waiting for. That seems to be the common response for the vette guys.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"Mr.Bob Lutz
Is no klutz
And you can bet
With money and sweat
Be it dry or wet
He'll boost the 'Vette
Taking more than hodge-podge
He'll build an Econo-Dodge"....that will FLY!!!

Anonymous (except for my Sign-on !!)
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mean to p_ss on the fire here but what a lame article to come out now and not test an 02 Zo6! Bogus!

I'm tired of the 4 second BS from the Bowtie boys how about some proof!

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Morgan,

I'll send you a copy and you'll understand the logic a bit better. John Hunkins (writer and editor of the mag) had no intention of testing an '01. All were excited as they were promised by GM that the press car they were receiving was an '02! When they went to pick it up, things were different.

"After washing down a handful of Prozac with some Maalox, the 'ol blood pressure came down and cooler heads prevailed. ..... I wiped the froth from the corner of my mouth and delivered the bad news to my staff."

TOO FUNNY!

That's when they quickly came up with the idea of doing a shootout, gave me a call (through Joe C and Evan) and I quickly zipped over to the track from my office, for the "event".

I gladly volunteered to come back when they get their '02.

Please read it, it's an unbiased look at our Vipers..... from the competition's side.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run stock cars with very few mods...only smooth tubes and Borla cat back exhaust and I was @430/470 on the 96 and @409/430 on the 01. Since yer the dyno man, maybe you can dial my 01 back up to 430/470 "in front of me" but according to the people that MAKE the car there is a known cam issue at least with the 01. I have not inquired about any other years. 97 is supposed to be the best year according to the road racing crowd.

I'm still trying to get more info on this, but if you know who John Hernandez is, he will explain it fully to you.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"You neglected to say whether you would accept my offer."
(no thanks...I have no interest in Drag racing.)

"To show you I have a little experience in these matters(especially horsepower) I on moter(93 octaine) makeover 560 to the tires.The car has posted one of the fastest times in the country on Mich Pilot (on moter) 11.2 at 130.5 and has won modifyed 1 class 1999,2000,2001 ViperZone events at E town ."
(Wow...congratulations....some big numbers for a stock car with no mods. You must really have '"a little experience". )

Prove it to me let EVAN RUN YOUR CAR.
(I have no need to prove anything to anybody but thanks anyway. Evan can ride my John Deere mower if he wants, I'm sure he can pull an 11.2 on his way across the lawn too.)

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TurboSnake:
Man,those Vette boyz are not gonna like that.
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think most vette owners are going to mind. I know my car stock for stock is not as fast.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now this is entertainment...

"Dont run your mouth unless you can back up what you are saying on the racetrack ."
(If you look at it that way then if my friend Lenny who now owns my old 96 smokes bye me on the straight after we both got the same run out of the corner would that be proof enough for ya?)

"You probably have put your car on a Dynojet 3 times in your life and now your an expert."
(4 times but still no expert...I just ask smart people that know much more than me like you and John Hernandez.

"When you get to close to a thousand runs let me know. Yes I have seen or conducted that many."
(I will even call you collect if that's ok....cause I want to celebrate the moment with you.)

"You cant argue with this fact (whether you like it or not) the fastest published run of a stock Viper ever was done using a 2000, NOT A 1996."
Who's arguing???...did I ever mention anything about a 2000? or my old 96 being the fastest car out there???...huh...I think you been watching more like 10,000 dyno runs and the fumes have gotten to you. Lets simplify it for you...I now have a 2001 ACR. I had a 1996 GTS. Both mostly stock. 96 was faster than 01 is now. 2 cars I'm talking about...you follow? Not Evan's, not Joe's, not yours. MY OLD CAR AND MY NEW CAR. Don't you feel better now?

"Now go play with your high powered 97 cam wiyh the BIGGER PROFILE. "
Wow...do they have bigger ones too...yes I'll supersize it son!

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not "claiming" anything, I know it with Dyno numbers. My 01 is dooooown on power compared to my 96...maybe not yours but mine is...it's something to do with the cam profile.

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Joe,

Chill!

Morgan isn't preaching, he just is making a point. And your points are always respected as well. Morgan OWNS a 2001... he KNOWS how aftermarket equipment effects performance of his two cars ... and that's all he's stating. He's been tremendously effective at blowing out the competition in SCCA (roadracing...not drag racing)... so cheer him on! ...and he's not complaining, just discussing.... so I'll meet 'ya at Hudde's for a drink if you promise to spell MOTOR correctly for now on.... deal?

Give me a buzz, I pick up my car today!

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Your friend, whats his name smokes you in your old 96 so all 96 are faster"
You used the word "ALL" not me..there you go again.

"Get a clue.How come for all that *hit you talk you will not back it up on the RACETRACK.Are you AFRAID ?"
Yes ...I'm afraid of you more off the track than on. You might want to stop eating sugared cereal in the morning.

"Come on a guy with your vast RACING ,ENGINE,DYNO EXPERIENCE afraid"
Thanks for the compliment.

"Since you claim to know all the guys at team Viper I will have one of my connections at Mopar Muscle Mag give them a call.You seem to be a hear say talker,"
I only meet John a few times and had a brief discussion with him recently about cam issues. I encourage you (1bad) to call him...you might learn something...even though you are the smartest dyno guy I know.

"who REFUSES TO BACK UP ANYTHING HE SAYS ON THE RACETRACK."
Yes I refuse, I enjoy winding you up more here.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad GTS,

While I agree with you on the slightly stronger earlier Vipers, I do not agree with your assesment on the dyno jet.

You can run a viper back to back to back and get almost identical numbers. The only difference will be if the car starts getting too hot. And nothing you do with the car will change the numbers it pulls, the reason I know this is because I tried.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Intelman34:
The magazines are getting better wih speaking reality. A recent Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords admitted that the new LS1 F-bodies flat out crush any new Mustang/Cobra out there. Now GMHTP admits that the Viper is king.

Finally, people are getting correct info.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya. Maybe the advertising money isn't a factor here. hahaa

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
"Here's the part where you groan. The Viper GTS is not only a Mopar, it's faster than a Z06. A lot faster."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well duh GM finally noticed that the viper has been the best for the past 10 or so years.
laugh.gif
To me a corvette is a sedan.
BURNOUT.gif

Kurt

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi Joe- I can't seem to find a copy, so if you could, I would really appreciate if you'd send me a copy. I'd be glad to pay shipping/cover charge. I can't find your e-mail address though. Can you please give me it so I can send you my address? Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
E-mail addresses for EVERYONE are right under their posts... that's what the little yellow envelope is.

My bulk order should be coming in this week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth