ok, Educate me.....

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I claim to be no dummy. But I sure am ignorant as to why it is not ok to have Pilot Sports up front and MXX3's on back.

Have I just been lucky, or living on borrowed time? I have had above referenced mismatch for OVER 12,000 miles. I have the car up to 150 mph about three times a week.

Anyway, I will be having Pilot Sports put on the Back in two days. I just want to know how lucky I have been. Thanks for the info!

Regards,

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tooling conservatively around town is NO BIG DEAL. But consider these facts and logic when AT THE LIMITS of adhesion......

1) Sidewalls designs and stiffness both different...flex at varying rates front to rear.

2) Tread "squirms"/flexes differently, heating up differently

3) MXX3s are much stickier....Sports will let go sooner.

4) Mis-matched "transitional response" due to all of the above can be hard to recover from when you lose it.

5) Mis-matched responses are hard to read in the first place

6) Watershed characteristics are different: front signals 'OK' while back is in danger.

7) I guarantee that some lawyer would SUE YOU if you hurt someone and you had mis-matched tires.

Shall I continue.................?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
7) I guarantee that some lawyer would SUE YOU if you hurt someone and you had mis-matched tires.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon Jon, it doesn't take mis-matched tires for that to happen.

BTW send me some EBC reds fronts and backs for my stock 98 RT/10. Home address. Also that tool for pushing the piston back.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run AX events with 275 XGTZ fronts, 335 MXX (no 3) rears. and also 25.5x12.5x17 all around, and all same brand/model. It's all in what you learn to "expect" and then drive to that limit. Frankly, I'd be more afraid of same tires with the wrong front-to-rear pressures than different tires at correct pressures. But do re-learn your car when you switch tires on either end...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom, F&L GoR:
I've run AX events with 275 XGTZ fronts, 335 MXX (no 3) rears...... and also 25.5x12.5x17 all around, and all same brand/model. It's all in what you learn to "expect" and then drive to that limit. Frankly, I'd be more afraid of same tires with the wrong front-to-rear pressures than different tires at correct pressures. But do re-learn your car when you switch tires on either end... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, Tom...... 1 - 2 lbs makes a difference on track...4-5 on the street...as in cornering on exits, and straightline wander under accel........

Many neophytes don't learn "buttfeel" (dead-end kids?) til the rears leave the path.....the "O.S." factor imprints too late.

CHUCK....yer Reds will ship Monday or Tues....dunno if FedEx is off VETERENS DAY.... THANKS

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'll chime in here as I've touched upon this topic before in my "Viper a piece of junk" thread. I simply would just like some proof. Something that says..... "we tested two different tires and found that adhesion lost .0345 of an inch...blah blah blah. It's easy to say there are a lot of issues, yes there may be, but, I tend to trust a person who has been in the tire business 20+ years. Just my .03 cents.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveb:
.....I simply would just like some proof. Something that says..... "we tested two different tires and found that adhesion lost .0345 of an inch...blah blah blah........ I tend to trust a person who has been in the tire business 20+ years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe the logic if not the messanger. I am not making this up, or giving this advice lightly ! {Or trying to sell you tires!) I spoke / inquired at length on this issue w/ 3 different Senior Michelin High Performance tire reps.... at Viper Days, FIA-GT Laguna, and at VOI.

Michelin even "sponsored" my Pace Car and Truck Tires in 1995-1999. I foolishly asked for 2 MXX-3 REARS. They convinced me NEVER to mix their tread patterns and styles ... for the reasons I cited...and even NOT to run DOT-legal track tires on the street.....{Or in Pace car duty either!)

There are a LOT of "20+ year tire sellers" who cannot even BALANCE a Viper rear.......much less know why NOT to mis-match treads. Sure, its Just A Dodge.......... but at 100 mph+ in a corner........ IT MATTERS! P.S. If you mis-match them on a RENTAL, there are 5000 lawyers hoping to meet your clients. Your defense expert is your "20-year tire guy who said it was OK." The plaintiff's expert is Bim The Michelin Man his-self!

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, Still want the proof. I'm not discounting the fact. Hell, I'll turn around and sue the place that put my tires on because they made it "Dangerous". If you find an article or have seen published tests then I'll bite, otherwise it's just smack to me.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon is right on track here, as the Pilot Sport has a much softer sidewall, and it is a good wet/dry tire. The MXX3 is only good in the dry and all you need to extrapolate is the differing cause/effect scenarios if you have this car in the wet - fronts in a slide for life when turning ( MXX3s on the front ) or a lovely snap oversteer with them in the back. It is all evolution and with those of us on the track ( whether autocross or race course ) it is amazing what little changes in just tread design have done to various brands of tires. Usually things that appear ludicrous, will chop off a half a second on an autocross track. Just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62