Viper as a daily driver?

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used mine as a daily driver. I am now using a VW GTI for a daily driver and it makes me really like the Viper more. The VW is just about the opposite of the Viper. It has little torque down low, but when the turbos come on its pretty potent. It has a short wheelbase so its easy to manuever in traffic. I can fit 4 people in it and my Mountain Bike.

As you can see in this video I probably drive it twice as much as I should. That's me in both lanes. I was playing with Adobe After effects this evening.

Viper Video

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you expect to be sitting for any length of time in stop-and-go traffic with the A/C running, you may see your engine temperature climb up into the red. Other than that, there's no mechanical reason not to use it as a daily driver. Other considerations are:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Security. Will you always have a safe place to park? Can you avoid door dings, etc.?
<LI>Low ground clearance. The Viper has one of the lowest ground clearances of any vehicle. Every driveway is an adventure. This could be a daily annoyance.
<LI>Weather. In Phoenix, I guess you don't have to worry too much about snow (or rain). In other climes which actually experience seasons, there could be a fair amount of days when the weather's lousy and you just wouldn't want to drive it.
<LI>Insurance. If the Viper's your only car, your insurance on it will be considerably higher than if you have a ****** listed as your primary car and the Viper as a recreational driver.
<LI>Depreciation. If you put 12,000 miles per year on the car, it will be worth less than other Vipers of similar Vintage. Not many people are interested in a two-year old Viper with 24,000 miles when there are plenty of garage queens with 3,000-5,000 miles, unless, of course, the price is considerably lower.
[/list]

I'm sure several people who use their Vipers as daily drivers will respond. It can be done. If the issues I've listed above aren't a concern, then go ahead and do it. I would highly recommend having a ****** available for those trips into not-so-nice areas or in inclement weather.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine everyday. Unless It snows of course. Im not paying 70 grand for a dodge so it can sit in the garage.

I sat in Traffic in Chicago in the summer with the AC on. My temp started to climb. Easy fix though - Turned off the air and rolled down the windows. Gotta love that fresh Chicago traffic air.

I had a corvette and the viper is just as good as a daily driver as the vette was. I do miss my heads up display though.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using mine as a daily driver in rainy Portland for a couple months and so far so good. I have been extremely impressed with the traction of the Pilots on wet pavement. My only concern about driving it daily is that someone may report me for Viper abuse when they seem me tooling around in it in a downpour. I know if I saw a Ferrari F355 or similar out, I would be thinking the same thing.

I AM starting to think about getting another car as my daily driver because I think that (a)it deserves to be treated a little better i.e. garaged in the worst inclement weather and (b)a car like the Viper is appreciated more in small doses.

The published maintenance schedule is pretty much like any other car (3000 miles for extreme conditions, 7000 miles normal), but most Viper owners seem to error on the safer side.

--- Ken
'01 GTS

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my 2000 RT/10 year around here in boston, except when it snows. I have almost 10,000 miles on it in a year and I was travelling for almost 2 full monthes. Wonderful car for racing, Daily driving and every other thing
smile.gif
Never driven a better car!! NEVER WILL!!

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just thought of something.

Maybe when deciding who gets the new '03 Vipers, they should take into account how many miles you drive your Viper.

The local dealer gave me a pretty good discount on my 98GTS due to the fact he knew I was going to be driving it around town and that it wouldn't just stay locked up in a garage somewhere. He felt it was a rolling advertisement for Dodge.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine every day for 3 years and loved every minute of it. Even when I had to spend an hour getting the water out of it before I had the weatherstripping right. I enjoyed it right up to the minute it was totalled and I'm enjoying it right now because I'm not in a hospital. Do small upgrades every 3 to 6 months and you will not get to complacent about it.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive that sucker. Do dirt burnouts. Do doughnuts on golf courses at friends' military retirement ceremonies. Perform parking lot 360s on request from ogling 11 year olds on skateboards. Get an RT/10 and NEVER put the top on. Drive faster in the rain so the water blows over you. Wash it only when the dirt gets so thick that you can't see the door dings.

Don't miss a bit of mechanical maintenance, though!

I've been doing all the above for the past few months. I won't do it in the 99 GTS, because that fixed roof makes me feel like I'm in a garage all the time anyway...

;-)