VETTE OWNER, FUTURE VIPER OWNER NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!!

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, this has to be some kinda record for thread resurrection. A "96 with less than 5K miles" made me look at the date......:)

There's lots of garage queens out there... :p
I know of a yellow 01 FS with less than 6k miles... LOL

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my 96 GTS since 2005, and I've put 19,000 miles on it. The driver's side front hub has been replaced and so has the clutch slave cylinder. I recently replaced an A/C line, but other than those 3 things the car has performed flawlessly. When I lived in Vegas I worked at the drag strip for 3 years. Brand new stock Corvettes broke rear ends and oiled the track on a regular basis. I lost track of how many I pushed off the starting line that failed to make it a foot. A black twin turbo Viper had problems braking aftermarket half shafts, but other than that it was very reliable. There are no other active Viper owners in Abilene, so I hang out with the Corvette club; I hear about them breaking all the time. Ask Cindi Lux about the durability of a Viper compared to a Corvette, better yet, ask her crew that now has so much more free time since she started driving a Viper because they're not replacing brake rotors after EVERY race. Are Vipers perfect? No, but I believe you can push them a lot harder and still not have things break.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear JBS99HT,

My '02 GTS ACR has 85k miles on it, here are the things that have gone wrong in a decade:

1) the hatch glass hinge adhesive started to come loose....result: replaced under warranty. Even if it happened now, I can get one from a few of the vendors who advertise here on the site.

2) Fuel pump relay: $24

3) front passenger o2 sensor:$85

Other than that, it's been only maintenance items. So based upon my experience, it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I change the oil every 3k miles (overkill), changed the brake rotors, pads and lines and fluid. About 6 months ago I changed the clutch & disc, the flywheel, slave cylinder and throwout bearing and the fluid. I've changed the tires twice and I'm up for the 3rd time in the next month. The Viper is actually very easy to work on, the easiest of any car I've owned.

Regards,
Aaron

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the shop? NO, especially the 1999-2002 Viper years. Those are bullet proof. I am a previous Vette owner having 3 of them and they were far more prone to shop attacks. In the last few years however they have really improved in quality.

TP_ GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hmmmmm.......

Attachments

• holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg
    holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 21

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I know why I resurrected the thread....it is listed under the Forum on the first page as if it the question just came up....Wonder why it was right there as if new question....that is why I thought it was a new question....I never looked for any dates...just responded several yrs too late, ha.....to much free time on my retired hands, huh ? Fun fun fun.:dunno::rolaugh::):usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave