VETTE OWNER, FUTURE VIPER OWNER NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!!

JBS99HT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently own a vette, but I'm ready to switch to the Viper. However everytime I go to a vette show everybody has a story about some friend of theirs that has one and its always in the shop. I figure I get the story from the people who own them.
It would be greatly appreciated if you could answer this questions for me:

1- Which model is better (more reliable), the R/T 10 or the GTS?
2- Which years are known to have more or less problems, and what are they?
3- Is it difficult to find a dealer that knows how to work on them?
4- And last but not least, What should I expect to pay for a 1996-99 with less than 5k miles?

Thanks for your help.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBS99HT:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No difference in reliability. My 98 RT/10 leaks a little with the hard top and a lot with the soft. I haven't noticed any leaks in my 97 GTS. Both have over 30K miles with no problems.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
98 is my favorite year. Most will advise to go with 96 and up.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lots of good ones around, but I haven't found one in the Tampa Bay area yet. Apparently they don't read this board.
4- And last but not least, What should I expect to pay for a 1996-99 with less than 5k miles?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Check the classifieds on this site.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi JBS, I don't think most Vipers are always in the shop. That sounds more like anti-Viper rhetoric from a crowd that's partial to Vettes.

My wife and I bought a new 99 GTS and have put 8000 miles on it, and the only problem has been a slow driver's power window. I do not expect the Viper to go 150,000 miles and be as trouble free as our Subaru wagon, but I think it is generally a reliable car. Vipers have proven to be solid track cars and many owners have a considerable number of miles on their cars.

My wife and I recently bought an 01 Z06 and have put about 4000 miles on it. The only problem I have had with the Vette is needing to add a quart of oil every 1500 miles... I suspect the overall reliability of the Vette will be similar to that of the Viper.

Jim

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some Gen 1 engines (mine included) had some problems (1992- 1996) but, if you find one that has been rebuilt by Arrow, that's a keeper. It's not all of them that are that way either, as a matter of fact, the number is relatively low. Some of the newer ones, 1999? had piston problems, but keep an eye on this board for more information about that. For sure, get one that you can purchase an extended warranty for, and you will be much more satisfied, I was very lucky to still have the warranty for our '94. The newer RT/10 cars do not leak like the older ones at the roof as far as I know. There are ways to remedy most of that too. If you like the wind in your hair, the sound of the V10 exhaust system, the birds chirping, open sky, and that constant "Hey, nice car" then there is nothing like the RT/10 for you!

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4- And last but not least, What should I expect to pay for a 1996-99 with less than 5k miles?T1- Which model is better (more reliable), the R/T 10 or the GTS?

1. 1995 or newer Rt/10 or GTS - these are GENERATION II cars - updated engine that elimates the problems of the GEN 1 engine - more horsepower, 96, 97 and I believe 98 have a lumpier cam - models after that, the so-called creampuff series have smoother cam, a little less horsepower and are probably better built - as in interior fit and body panels fitting.
Personally I find my 96GTS to have been increadably reliable over 27,000 miles - including several open track events- I have had a hose failure - cost $14 - interior repairs - bought two little plastic covers - $40.
Separate from the repairs I have had several items fixed under warranty - these are items that were manufacturing issues - 96 GTs being the first year of coupe production - to be expected -and they go as follows: side sills replaced, right rear rim replaced, door glass and seals replaced, rear defroster switch replaced, alarm system replaced.did any of these items affect reliability - not a single mile.
Now comes the question - are you looking for an exclusively street car or a street track car.
Street only - go with 98 or later
Street Track - 96 & 97 GTS's have better shocks and springs - if you have tons of track experience or or plan on changing these items - stick with 98 or later. (Whoops - if you plan on doing track time you would want a GTS verses the RT/10)

2. I think at any time you can buy a dud so careful and patience - if in doubt, pass - don't let the emotions get you into a bad car. Buying new - thats one option - you get what you get - chances are the car will be good. Buying used - look for the guy that has garage queened the car, taken car of all the Technical Service bulletin issues, and has put a few miles on the car. Take that car to a dealer that has a strong Viper experience - folks on this site can help with one in your area. Have them go over the car top to bottom, before you commit. Have the title checked by more than one outfit to confirm no salvage tiltes, wrecks etc.

3.FINDING THE RIGHT DEALER IS EASY - ASK THE FOLKS HERE ON THIS SITE WHO THEY RECOMMEND IN YOUR AREA

4. Prices - check out the classified on this site - you will get the picture.

Now when you find a car - put the Vin number and details on this board- who knows - someone here might know the car.
Luck

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good questions. The important thing though, is that your selling the vette and buying the most awesome car on the planet!
embarass.gif
embarass.gif

There's nothing like a Viper whether it be a GTS or RT/10. I love mine! Wait'll you get behind the wheel!
laugh.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least you'll loose the Vette signature that takes up 1/2 page everytime you post (maybe not you, but you know what I mean, look above) You won't have anything to prove...

At the end of your new post, you'll just need to say "Viper"

heheh

Gerald

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS. GET A NEW ONE, OR A NEAR NEW ONE WITH A WARRANTY. FINDING "A DEALER THAT KNOWS HOW TO WORK ON THEM" IS NOT HARD AT ALL. TALK TO OTHER LOCAL VIPER OWNERS AND THEY WILL TELL YOU WHO YOU CAN AND CANT TRUST FOR SERVICE RELATED ISSUES. DRIVE ON!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JBS,

You know, I hang out at a lot of Vette events, and I have heard the same thing from people "oh, my buddy had a Viper and had nothing but problems". But I know MOST of the Viper people in my area, and I have never heard of anyone saying these things - I think one guy says it, and all the Vette guys want to believe it, so they all spread the word
smile.gif

I had a '98 that I put 25k miles on. Only problem really was the window regulator blew on the 2nd day I had the car - warranty fix. Overall I had very few problems - everything was minor stuff, nothing that affected the drivability of the car.

As for the Vette guys chiming in about their cars - bear in mind that they are comparing highly modified cars against stock cars. I dunno... I had a very fast Vette in the past, and I could beat anything from 911 Turbos, to Vipers, to Ferraris - you name it. I never felt my car was "better" then theirs though, even though it was a lot quicker. I definitely had the attitude "you spent more than me, haha", but when those $10k Mustangs beat up on my Vette, I didn't think they were better, so I guess that attitude only goes one way.

Get the Viper. People will love the car, most of all you. You won't see 100 people driving the same thing on a weekend out. If you get a newer one, you can get a great price. Go for a '98 if you want the "best" year from an upgradability standpoint. 2001 is the best for creature comforts and ease of driving.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gavin: I think there is a typo in your post where you say 95 RT and GTS are Gen 2 cars. As you later point out 96 was first coupe. I had a 95 which was the last of the sidepipes but a Gen 1 car. The 95 was very reliable and I put 40,000 miles on it. My 00 GTS is also great--at least so far, so good.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some comments to make regarding which model year is the 'best'. This question is frequently discussed on this board, and my observations are that people generally think that the year of car they own is the superior year. There is lots of talk about which years had the most horsepower, which has lead to the label of 'Creampuff' for later model years, 2000 and above I believe. BTW, these cars do have the smoothest idles and the least neutral gear rattle.

Some people will quote cam statistics to support their view of which year has more horsepower. Other’s have been to dyno days where certain years have shown more horsepower then other years, yet multiple dyno days are not necessarily consistent regarding hp per model year. Dodge hp ratings have been consistent from 1996 to the current model years.

I admit that my opinion is not based on objective analysis, but I think all the model years for Gen II cars are so close in overall specification that the difference is negligible, and that factors other the year are much more important in a buying decision. If I were shopping today, I would pay more attention to mileage, condition, price, modifications, history, and location, then model year, although I do believe that in general Dodge has made changes that improve the cars over the years

Jim

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
At least you'll loose the Vette signature that takes up 1/2 page everytime you post (maybe not you, but you know what I mean, look above) You won't have anything to prove...

heheh

Gerald

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*LOL* You forgot to mention that some people add cars to their sigs that they no longer own. Must be to prove something? hahaha....

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 94 I bought 2 years ago with 15k miles on it.
All I have done is change the oil and replace a p/s hose ($30.00 and 30 minutes). I have put over 15k miles on it. I would call that very reliable.
Go get one!!!
Cheers,

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBS99HT:
I currently own a vette, but I'm ready to switch to the Viper. However everytime I go to a vette show everybody has a story about some friend of theirs that has one and its always in the shop. I figure I get the story from the people who own them.
It would be greatly appreciated if you could answer this questions for me:

Thanks for your help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Busted, JBS I will have to kick you out of the next Bear Mnt event. Are you wondering to the dark side? (me too just don't tell).
ElDiablo on CF

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to take a peek at this:

Viper Features by Model Year

'97 or Later RT/10 with a transferrable extended warranty would be my choice.... with a hard top, they are the most "Civil", but ******* the most "Uncivil". Best of both worlds!

Grab a back issue of the May 2001 issue of Road and Track Magazine, it has a very good article about buying used Vipers which includes some strong tech from Dan Cragin.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cyaford:
*LOL* You forgot to mention that some people add cars to their sigs that they no longer own. Must be to prove something? hahaha....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 lines... It's all I need...

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darth Vetter:

Yes, I am related to Rev. Ottawa Pullen Jr. He's my dad. I'm Ottawa Pullen III. My dad just bought an 01 Vette. My friend has a white 01 Z06 too. Needless to say......I'm not impressed at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
embarass.gif

I know for a fact that there's a lot of Vette's out there (right here on Westheimer) that could beat this current Viper that I own, & I stress this one, because I was 32-0 in my last one & I gave 4 head starts, (at this stage anyway) unfortunatley I haven't ran across any such Vette!! In fact before I bought my first Viper in 96' I was a Chevy man. My Z28/SS was at Motorsports Technologies 24/7! Jeff built my car & it was AWESOME! (over 600 HP) Until that Viper RT/10 blew my doors off!! Literally! He waited for me at the next light and had a smile on his face. I said, "I've never been beat like that!" He picked up a beer that was in his lap & said, "And I had this in my lap & I missed a gear."
Anyway, Darth Vetter, I'm sure there's someone w/ a vette here in Houston that's faster right now, (because I'm stock) but after New Years, I'll rephrase that statement. Because there's not a Z06 on earth that could hang w/ any Viper that's been worked on!
laugh.gif
Evidently Darth Vetter, you just haven't ran across the right Viper. But when I race you or one of your hero's in person soon, maybe you'll be changing your mind. I might even give you a head start, depending on what kinda mood I'm in!
smile.gif

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My wife and I recently bought an 01 Z06 and have put about 4000 miles on it. The only problem I have had with the Vette is needing to add a quart of oil every 1500 miles... I suspect the overall reliability of the Vette will be similar to that of the Viper.

Jim

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

known oil consumption issue. there is a new TSB out for it and the fix involves new rings. i recently got the fix and no longer consume oil. your dealer should have no problem fixing it under warranty.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:

heheh

Gerald

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

heheh. nice one, and usually true. but i'm a vette owner and my signature is MUCH shorter than yours, and always has been. of course, if you go to corvetteforum.com, you'll see that my signature there conforms to the required 25-40 line specs. ;)

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King GTS:
Anyway, Darth Vetter, I'm sure there's someone w/ a vette here in Houston that's faster right now, (because I'm stock) but after New Years, I'll rephrase that statement. Because there's not a Z06 on earth that could hang w/ any Viper that's been worked on!
laugh.gif
Evidently Darth Vetter, you just haven't ran across the right Viper. But when I race you or one of your hero's in person soon, maybe you'll be changing your mind. I might even give you a head start, depending on what kinda mood I'm in!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh come on! we all know that as soon as somebody shows up with a street legal 9.9 sec viper, somebody else will arrive with a 9.8 sec z06. in fact, i know of at least two street legal z06's, with full factory trim, in Houston TX, that run low 9's now. i know of another street legal z06 with full trim that runs 8's.

anyway, point is that the viper is faster than the vette when stock, off the showroom floor. once you start with the mods, all bets are off. there are plenty of 9 second or faster vipers and vettes.

Darth Vetter has some big cochones though, and will race anything with 4 (or 2) wheels that looks fast, and he knows how to drive, so i would be willing to put some $$$ on him against a viper - unless of course Doug Levin had spent more than 8 hours under the hood of that viper. ;)

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MyVette:
Busted, JBS I will have to kick you out of the next Bear Mnt event. Are you wondering to the dark side? (me too just don't tell).
ElDiablo on CF

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ElDiablo - you're busted too! i'm tellin' Troy. ;)

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YellowSnake:
I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jason, are you on acid?? What about the new tranny they had to put in after a month??

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Hey Jason, are you on acid?? What about the new tranny they had to put in after a month??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh yeah, i forgot to mention what i was originally going to say with my first reply. anyway, i have owned both vipers and c5 vettes, and compared to my toyota camry, they both ****. expensive, break down all the time, need new clutches and brakes every 20k miles, no cup holder (on the viper), i had to spend $7000 to upgrade the crappy c5 stereo, i was forced to spend almost $2000 to upgrade the quiet viper exhaust (the c5 exhaust only cost me $600 for the borla xr1).

BUT, i love both vipers and vettes, and after i run my current cars into the ground, i'll buy another viper AND another vette. wouldn't have anything else or have it any other way.

of course, if i could only have one of the two cars, for whatever reason, i would get a viper. if i could only have one car in my stable, and was going to use it as a daily driver, i would get a c5.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's the V-10 that can't launch a Viper in the 7's or 8's.. Isn't it the Tranny, rear end make up of the car? I honestly don't know what limits the Viper to high 9's.. SO FAR..

Gerald

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by YellowSnake:
I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS. GET A NEW ONE, OR A NEAR NEW ONE WITH A WARRANTY. FINDING "A DEALER THAT KNOWS HOW TO WORK ON THEM" IS NOT HARD AT ALL. TALK TO OTHER LOCAL VIPER OWNERS AND THEY WILL TELL YOU WHO YOU CAN AND CANT TRUST FOR SERVICE RELATED ISSUES. DRIVE ON!

PROBLEMS not you Yellow Snake a leaking roof maybe? a new transmission absolutly ? Don't ask Jason he can't even change his light bulbs on his Viper......

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cory:
That's pretty bold to say when you have a stock Viper. SO there is NO Vette on the planet that can out run a modified Viper? I have yet to see a 7 or 8 second Viper where I have seen several Vettes. Hell, S.W.'s ZO6 runs high 9.7-9.8's w/ a 75hp shot, you know the guy who made ONE pass and beat ALL the Vipers who made SEVERAL passes each. I'd hate to see what he'd run with 2 turbos on it. If the Viper is faster that ALL Vettes then why did Sir Hiss swap out his V10,maybe because he couldn't make enough power with it??? Maybe because he knew the V10 wouldn't take him there??
If you were truely 32-0 against Vettes you were surely racing the wrong ones.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cory.....Cory......Oh yeah, now I remember you! You were the kid tellin ghost stories on the other thread @ how you heard from your brothers, cousins, girlfriends, roommate that a ZO6 w/ a basic bolt-on was runnin an 11.6. And now you're tryin to thrill us all w/ more of your knowledge!

Cory, I'll ask you again..Do you even have a ZO6 or are you here to talk @ all your buddies cars?? It's OK if you don't, I just wanted to race you - so I could be 33-0, I was hoping you were from Houston. Heck, if you just put 2 bolt-ons on your car instead of the 1 your buddy put on his - man you just might be in the 10's!

And since your all-up in me & John Pauls Post, would you prefer that I start talkin after TNT's finished w/ my Viper? They say I'll have it back after New Years. Should I keep quiet till then?
I'm not mad at ya though Cory. No hard feelins OK? You sounded a little upset over there. I just don't know how I should read your Posts. Can't seem to separate the truth from your Ghost Stories.
smile.gif

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned 9 vipers and not once have I had a viper in THE SHOP unless I put it there for normal maintenance or upgrades....The vett community ALWAYS talks crap about VIPERS... THEY ARE JEALOUS AS CAN BE.....every VETTE FORUM is full of their negative smart , degrading,putting down VIPERS, and they tell so many lies to make themselves sound good and NONE OF THOSE BOYs are knowledgeable of or no anything about VIPERS......there is very little vette bashing on the VIPER forums about vettes......and any ole vette owner that switches to a VIPER never goes back to a vette.......Like I said......they are ate up with jealousy.....the only Viper I recommend is a gen 2 or newer.....most of all a gen 2 or A 2008 or newer.....u will never look back at a vette again......my person al opinion, as I can only tell u the real facts between vettes and VIPERS and I had personally owned 25 vettes.....just to tell u I do know what I am talkin about on this subject....GET A VIPER and be very careful....they are a handful and totally different driving experience then a vette.....the truth is in the facts....:2tu::headbang::D:drive::drive::usa:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, this has to be some kinda record for thread resurrection. A "96 with less than 5K miles" made me look at the date......:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper