Should I post this topic in GEN I &II or GEN III Forum ?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It have been said that the main reason to have a separate forum for the GEN III is that the new Viper is totally different from the GEN I and II.

We could argue this point since beside the body panels most of the car is the same,engine,tranny etc.

Improved but similar.

Since I have a 00 GTS,I would be very interested in adapting better/improved parts from the GEN III to my car.

As examples:

The engine put out 500 HP.
The heater/AC have a temperature blending position.(warm/hot air from the face vents).
Brakes.(calipers,rotors,etc)
Suspension.

Under the new "rules" to talk about those subjects would be in the "performances/modifications" forum for a GEN I&II owner but in the regular GEN III forum for a GEN III owner since those parts are OEM on the GEN III.

Luc. GEN II 1/2 GTS

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
luc,
I agree with you, plus add the fact that MANY if not ALL the future GenIII owners have VAST knowledge of the GenI-GenII Vipers; and they will isolate (most of the time) them-selves to the GenIII forum. Their expertise about the GenI-GenII Vipers might never get to us, (fortunate or unfortunate), REAL Viper owners.
Later,

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an engineer I would take the "average" between Gen-I-II-III:
Post IT in the soon created Gen-1.5 or Gen-2.5 forums!
laugh.gif

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due repect Chris, I own a a c3 69 big block and I do not go to any other sections of the corvette forum. Unless you have been a corvette owner, and I have owned about 30 over the last 40 years you cannot believe how fragmented they are. This is history repeating itself, but none of you guys were around to see it so you really don't get what we had by not separating ourselves by generation. I will never sell the GTS, but I have a cert. and will be getting 2003. I still think we are better served by staying as one VIPER NATION. On another thread I gave an example of another board that became too fragmented, Do you guys have an example of a board that works well being so subdivided? If it is Roadfly, or Corvette Forum I would strongly disagree. What web based logic or example are you following, do you have a business example or what business case are you following, other than blind experimentation. Hopefully you guys will take this as constructve criticism, I have the utmost respect for the time and the labor of love you put in. I simply think this is a fork in the the road that leads away from the
unique loyalty created by Viper. The longer we all kept talking about the new 2003 the more converts there were, I bet DC woud agree with that.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lUC, aCCORDING TO MY CALCULATIONS, YOU ARE A GEN 2.5, RIGHT? Now that means you can try to ask a gen 3 guy some questions , but you are beneath him, so in reality you have no friends their. Now of course since you tried their first and didn't succeed, you come on OUR board, us ol gen 1 , gen 2 guys, flaunting you have a Gen 2.5, and want some respect. Guess what? WRONG!!! you don't belong in here. So my suggestion is start a gen 2.5 forum....now of course, that is AFTER the off topic forum, after, the suppliers forum, actually I think that will be forum # 86.
Now do you really think you may get an answer to your question?
LOl......ah, modern improvement upon the wheel, yet in all the years its still round....

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS: By the time you figure out where to post your question, you will have forgot the question , the car will be an antique, and you will be in some ol folks home.....LOL

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee - No problem. I was indeed a Corvette owner, although not as many as you, given our age difference.
smile.gif
I have actually owned a couple and felt welcomed by all in the Corvette club, regardless of what year they happened to be. We had our local meetings and shows, our parties, and a heck of a lot of fun together. Didn't matter if your Vette was five years old or 25 years old. You were treated with respect. While this board is wonderful, the true spirit of the VCA is in its events: Meetings, cruises, Viper Days, shows, VOI's, etc. If you think these two separate forums are going to create a rift in the VCA, I can only say that I could not disagree more. Heck, of the 35 members in the Kansas City Club there are only five or six members that even READ these boards. The creation of another forum will be completely ignored by the majority of VCA members. For those that do read the boards, the majority appear to like it and some rather vocal people do not.

This is not 20 "main" forums, 10 forums, or even three. It is all of two. I can see where a few folks would feel challenged by an extra mouse click, but that is really all it amounts to. We could keep it simple like the original board and lump every single post in one group: Technical questions, Zaino posts, tuner bashing, header questions, race results, latest crashes, problems with key fobs, time slips, Supra bashing, problems with soft tops, political commentary, car comparisons, brake upgrades, stain removal, movie reviews, computer questions, picture posts, dealer complaints, gas mileage - well, you get the idea. As was pointed out earlier, with the number of owners rapidly expanding. The topics will be posted so quickly that they will disappear from the "front page" anyway - forcing another click anyway.

When it comes to get togethers and that type of thing, those get relegated to the "Regional meetings" forum anyway. So if those haughty 2003 owners that think they are better than us try to organize a meeting, we will know about it as long as we check yet another forum.
smile.gif
Just as any FYI, I do like the idea of merging a couple forums myself, but continuing to offer two separate forums for the two different cars. I am absolutely dumbfounded that an extra click is causing so much concern.

Here is another interesting exercise: Go check out the current roster of "members" to these forums (hundreds upon hundreds of them) and you will find that many have never posted a single thing. If you are worried about camaraderie, start with those folks. Sorry, but for those lurkers that are "insecure" about having a car that isn't the latest body style, they have more problems to worry about than an extra mouse click.

We are just trying to make the forums the best they can be and easier to navigate. I think it could indeed be streamlined a bit, but not at the expense of hundreds of confusing posts about two entirely different cars in the same forum. Should they combine the Windows '95 and Windows '98 forums together? After all, they are the same family. Well, probably not, as they have numerous different issues.

I am tired and I digress. It may be that a few squeaky wheels do indeed get the grease anyway. It is rather pointless to continue arguing this because I will not change my opinion and you will not change yours. I am delighted to read these different forums and don't find it the inconvenience that some seem to. I have been pushing for a "Gallery" forum for people to post their Viper (and other) pictures. Probably stupid, as we can just randomly find pictures in almost every forum anyway - we just have to search for them. I just thought it would be nice to provide a little better focus and a specific place to look for pictures. Kinda like those looking for information on the SRT/10.

Chris

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sigh...

First off, you will want to post your questions in the RT/10-GTS Forum as it that is the car you want to upgrade, right? As to the engine, it IS different and I would bet that most of the parts except for the alternator will be different as well. Bet it doesn't have the same intakes, exhaust, or any of the more popular board subjects. Part of that horsepower increase (and put your money on 525 HP instead of 500) is displacement. So, bore your engine out from 488 to 500 cubic inches for starters.

Now, would you ask a 2001/2002 owner if his brakes will fit your '00? VERY unlikely that he will know and that you would even bother asking. The people that do know and usually answer these questions are vendors and techs. Do you really think they will just stop reading another board? While it will create a few extra mouse clicks for JonB/Woodhouse/Roe/Tator/Levin/etc. to go back and forth, I will bet you that they will do it. Not only are they great guys, but it is also their bread and butter. Vendors will continue to offer their expertise in both forums because it just happens to be good for business, whether they post as a Viper owner or as a shop.

I am genuinely sorry guys, but I really do think this was a good move. Of course, it could be overturned and such is life. Let me ask you this: How many parts do you think the 2002 Corvette Z06 has in common with the 1969 L88? Probably none. Do you honestly think that these guys ignore each other or don't get along? Indeed, I would venture that many current Z06 owners frequent the C3 Forum because they either owned one or enjoy them. Even current Viper owners frequent those forums because of previous ownership or admiration. Likewise, the older Corvette owners frequent the Z06 forum to learn about them and see what, if anything, they are missing. Worried about a whole TWO forums? Why don't you do a quick count here: The Corvette Forums Are Viper owners somehow less sociable? More stupid when it comes to clicking a mouse? More lazy? More egotistical about their year of cars? I would argue NO on every single question. Show me a 2001 Viper GTS owner that snubs a 1994 RT/10 owner and I will show you somebody that shouldn't even be in the VCA to begin with.

Nothing personal folks, but I honestly believe this is undue paranoia about a pathetically simple change that will greatly improve communication for owners with similar problems or questions. Of course, when they start producing 5000 SRT/10's a year (cupholders!), you are going to start to get REAL tired of scrolling through 200 posts that have absolutely nothing to do with your car. And the thousands that all say "THE YEAR MATTERS".

Sorry for the rant, but I honestly believe this was a good move and will stand behind it even if it is changed back. It wasn't my idea (not even close), but it deserves credit.

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth