Headers: Which best for a SC application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want to start the header debate again completely, but I am curious as to which will work best for a supercharged car that is stock otherwise. Ok... not completely stock... I have a Borla cat-back exhaust. But I want to add headers and hi-flow cats.

I keep hearing Belangers, Belangers, Belangers, but no opinions on anything else.

What are y'all's thoughts on this?

Joseph

---------------

Levin Supercharged Silver 99 RT/10
558rwhp and 597rwtq
Yellow Side Sills

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bud,

You know my opinion. Just say the word, and the set ships this week.....

Actually, I think you should not get headers at all...That way, I can continue to smoke your *** when we race!
tongue.gif

Regards,

Reaction score
Hi Joseph -

Our Supercharger System has the ability to make a lot more power than you have now w/o replacing the factory headers. For the cost of a set of performance headers you can upgrade to a "Premium Supercharger Package." Let the Supercharger do the work for you. Your '99 has a good enough set of factory headers to produce well over 600 rwhp. Dan Black has our "Level I Premium Supercharger Package" with stock cats and Borla rear exhaust, his car made over 615 rwhp. I can assure you, you'll make more power with the upgrade then just bolting on a set of headers. And I know for certain you'll like it better. But, if you'd like, I have a set of Belanger's in my car that are about 2 months old I can offer you. We pulled the engine out of my car and it will be down for a couple of months.

Best Regards,
Doug

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ERIC JORDAN:
Joseph,

To answer your question it is important to remember that forced
induction systems are not as dependent on cylinder scavenging
as NA applications. Forced induction systems need relatively large (1.75") primaries healthy collectors and and about 3" duals to avoid significant restriction. The 1.63" tubes that are so helpful in building area under the curve on normally aspirated motors is a detriment to you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hello Eric -

Your theory is well spoken, however, it's a different scenario for Joseph's car. I've already been in this predicament MANY times. The addition of headers to Joseph's car in it's present form will most certainly present other issues that will need attention.

Sometimes it becomes a little difficult to explain with limited time via computer the exact details of my objective. I'll try to skim the surface with some detail....

As you know, the B.S.F.C. _Brake Specific Fuel Consumption_ (how much fuel you are using per horsepower per hour) on a forced induction application is generally higher than an NA application. In most cases a naturally aspirated engine will have a B.S.F.C of .50. This means that the engine will use .50 lbs. of fuel per hour for each horsepower it produces. Supercharged engines will want to be at .55 - .60 lbs. per hour or higher. Brake specific should be .45 to .50 for naturally aspirated engines ,55 - .60 for supercharged engines, and .60 to .65 for turbocharged engines. Joseph's car will most definitely encounter fuel related issues (in it's present form) with just the addition of headers, he's pretty much limited with the fuel system/computer he currently has. I would prefer to see him upgrade his current fuel/computer system (for the same or lesser cost of an entire exhaust system) to maintain adequate fuel delivery and computer control. Once again, he will make more, safer power, with the "upgrade" than just the addition of headers.

Thanks for the input,
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.