AC not working now.

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I check the AC about 3 days ago worked fine. I just made a very long trip with the car. Now, today the ac will not come on but, the fan will come on. Any ideas??????

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes......... The key is ACR. Assuming there is not a problem with the A/C itself, that is.

You see, ACRs by design were race-bred, and not meant to have A/C. Air Conditioned Racer? No: American Club Racer !

ACRs have a better oil cooling system, that 'sacrifices' the A/C when the oil cooler is hot. So, protecting against high oil temp takes priority.

When your oil cooler gets hot, it can trip the A/C compressor off. When the oil cooler gets cool again, the A/C will come back.

I suspect other ACR owners will have a lightbulb go on here.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will check Jon but, I tried the AC right when I started the car, it had set for 2 days, the motor was cold. When I used it about four days ago in trafic it worked, very cold. I had been driving the car for over a hour then.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are having a heat wave for Jan 76-78. Just tinted windows, could not role down. This is why I noticed it wasnt working.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your site glass. It's easyier to see with leak-ink in it. You can also inspect the front clutch area. My last compressor gave way there and spilt out a considerable about of burnt rubber around the engine compartment. If that fails, go to your local auto store and pick up the necessary attachments to add some R-134. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not a big deal. I just noticed it worked well when Jon and I drove the car. It is probably just a R134A leak. I had a couple of leak on my previous viper. The compressor doesn't seem to be kicking on. I will wait and have some fun with the car before i take it in. Thanks, Jon

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan to take it to the dealer once it get warmer. My 99 had a few ac glitches,leaks.