Mixing Tires

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I know mixing tires is a bad thing, but does that still matter if they are both 'Pilots'?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a bad thing if you have experience, you know your car, and you know what you are doing. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
You think your Viper has problems "tracking" the road now, wait until you mix the tires on it.

Heard bad things about that.....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter how bad you may hear about mixing MXX3s and Pilots it'll still handle better than a drag setup.

You drive to the limits of your car.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snakeyes:
.....Go ahead and buy new Pilot Sports for the front

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You likley CANNOT exhange for MXX-3s. Obsolete and out-of-stock most places.

SEARCH this topic for impassioned pleas NOT to tread styles on a Viper.

You MXX-3s may look good, but are probably getting hard since they have been heat-cycled numerous times and aged 7 years.

"How Safe Do You Want To Be?"

"Daddy, Can I Do It Til I Notice My Vision Getting Worse?"

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you drive you car like a 4 cylinder neon then you should be ok. If you go out, like we do, and try to **** the roads, really pushing it, then get the new fronts and move on. A few hundred bucks is well worth your safty.

Here is what happend on older mxx3 ( 8 years old) but with perfect tread and only 5000 miles. They were hard as a rock and slick. Got new pilots because after driving GTS, noticed a significant handling difference.

This what the tires looked like after only a 1.5 minutes of burnouts and donuts. The just flaked off. Pretty scarry.

You must be registered for see images

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(b)Go ahead and buy new Pilot Sports for the front
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! Your old tires are hard and don't grip! My fronts were 4 years old when I bought the car and I didn't think they were that bad, so I waited until they wore out. What a difference the new tires make, sooooo much better in stopping on dry pavement & in rain.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I have Komo's on the back and pilots on the front---no problem what so ever. The Komo's hook up real well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey me to
biggrin.gif
just got the rears put on this weekend and they stick good. I'm going to the track this week so I'll post some 60' times. I tested them a few times (on the street) and they are so much better. Dumped the clutch at 3,000 from a dead stop *trying* to do a burn out and couldn't
embarass.gif
spun for about 10-15 feet then they hooked up. Tried 3 times same result each time. On sports I would be spinning all day until the throttle was lifted. The best part about the tires is I can't tell they are even on the car, drives & rides like stock! BTW this was w/o nitrous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62