Keeping white wheels clean!? Brake dust :(

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grrrr.... Brake dust! Every time I clean these wheels, they are grey by the end of the day
frown.gif

What can I do to keep them clean? switch to the "green" pads? (elaborate please). Any way to protect the white from getting the dust "baked" on around the edges?

MadMaxx

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You're probably still going to get dust even with the EBC pads (though not nearly the same volume.) If you want to eliminate the problem entirely you may want to look into one of those shields. You'll be pressed to find on that doesn't look tacky. Though if you're feeling particularly bored you can make one out of Plexiglas (I did for my original Honda) though it will be time consuming.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
PS - I also tried Rain-Xing my alloys with limited results. Its kinda cool to rinse the dust of with the hose as opposed to hand scrubbing.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched to Bendix Pads, the squealing stopped, and the brake dust dramatically reduced. Brake dust is now less than 1/4 of what the stock pads generated. I got them from a friend who owns a Meinecke muffler shop for about $100 front and rear (pads only, not installation). Hope this helps.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the EBC greens on order now, can let you know how much improvement it makes!!! Perhaps with the reduced dust and maybe trying Rain-X, might be a good combo?

Also, what tire dressing is the best for looks, and does NOT fly off onto my white RT?

Tomer
96 RT White with Blue Stripes!!

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found the EBC Green pads to be quite nice. They seem to dust about the same as the stock REAR pads do. So, EBC Greens on the front and the stock pads on the rear seem to do the trick. Now I clean them all at the same time, which now is about 4x less often then I previosly had to do it when the front wheels were ending up black after a long days drive. They seem to be quieter than the stock pads too as far a squeeling goes.

Tom, try Zainoing the wheels. I can usually use a hose with a flat spray attatchment and spray off most of the drake dust very quickly. As for tire dressing, I use Griot's Garage stuff for the Viper and Meguire's for my Camaro. Really, the trick is to dress the tires with a sponge and then come back several hours later and wipe them down again with a cloth. It will remove any product left on the surface of the tire so you won't kick it back onto the car.

-Matt

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the ebcs work nice on my bbs rims, talk about a pain to keep clean! make sure whoever installs them spray paints them black before installing, keeps the stock look. there is dust though it is noticblly diffent (and less of it). it looks more gray than black. i think they are made out of kevlar. they are pretty inexpensive. i think $150 all around through jonb. they are available through tirerack.com too.

jason

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem!
pissed.gif
Clean them and less than 100 miles later they were black!
pissed.gif
Then I switched to EBC greens. It's well worth the money and they stay much cleaner! Nothing a spray of the hose can't take care of! I will never go with any other pad!

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a Mother's wheel wax to keep mine clean it washes off pretty well, if it doesn't all come off with the first rinse, I take a rag and hit it with Zaino Z6 and it comes off and shines well.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EBC greens do work well. Also, you could try a dedicated California duster for your wheels!! Works well for me.....Kurt

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62