Anyone Interested in Custom Made 10.5mm Plug Wire loom

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend at work that can make custom plug wire loom for our V10 for 10.5mm wires. Anyone interested. If I get enough responses we can make mass quantity and keep production prices low. I plan on making this wire loom out of black Delrin. I considered aluminum but was worried about arcing (sp?).

OP
OP
S

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are all good questions. I have a VERY good machinest over here. I dont even have any prototypes made up yet. If there was enough interest, I would have them made up via CAD. Otherwise I could have him make up some one-off pieces. Depends on how much interest there is. Im not doing this to make any money, just as a favor to fellow Viper owners. I will charge just for materials. He is a friend of mine so he probably wont charge any/minimal/token labor.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my 10.5 red wire loom from a local race shop.
They are brand name smoothie. They are only $35
And the v-8 setup worked just fine. I actually bought 2 sets not knowing if i would need 2. But did not 1 set worked just fine.
The other set I sent to KenH maybe he still has the package and can give us the part #?

MyenginePictures.jpg

Seeing the they are available and cheap, may not be worth all the work making them??
JIM
smile.gif

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im no mechanic, isnt anything over 8.5mm detrimental and in actuality hampering to performance. simple laws of conductivity and electricity here, too much flow.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wire loom in Jim's picture is made by 'Made for You Products' PN 50-71013. They are made out of red nylon for 10.5mm wires and are a vertical mount which screw into the valve cover bolt locations. Jim, the ones in your pic seem to be a horizontal mount.

rdustman, the larger diameter is just due to a thicker silicon insulation, and there is no adverse electrical effects over the thinner wires.

--- Ken

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken H, hmm thats not what i been told and im not (yet) disagreeing with you. to my understanding the diameter is a direct correlation to conductivity and one thing i know is larger diameter, more flow, and with regard to electrical current this is not always optimum, hence 8.5 being the standard for the viper. if i am wrong please educate me as all i am after is the best for my snake

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rdustman,
I think your confusing the size (and hence conductivity) of the inner core of the wire with the size (thickness) of the insulation which surrounds that core.

In the case of Magnecor wires, the inner core is the same between the 8.5 and 10mm wires and the impedence/conductivity of the wires (for emi suppression) is the same between them.

The difference in thickness of these wires is strictly due to a thicker silicon coating over the core. The thicker insulation has no direct affect on the electrical energy going down the conductor, but it does provide a little more insulation between the conductor and any adjacent conductors or the engine to reduce any chance of arc-over which would really only be a concern if you are running a very high energy ignition system. The thick silicon sleeving also provides a little more protection against header heat as well.

I doubt that anyone driving a Viper truly NEEDs 10mm wires, since I don't think anyone is running a real high energy ignition system, but they do look good!

PS There may be other mfr. who adjust their core construction between 8.5 & 10mm wires, but I am not aware of them. In general though, lower impedence on spark plug wires does not mean lower performance of the engine, only of the radio
smile.gif

--- Ken

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim and Ken,

I like the 'Made for You Products' wire looms, but since these mount to the bolts that hold down the valve covers I am wondering what you guys did about the threaded studs that protude from the valve covers that the normal looms mount to.

I think they would somewhat spoil the neat and trim look of the new looms. Can they be removed?

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigr1:
any new information on this???

Randy
[email protected]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are seeking info on Smokin's wire looms then you won't be finding it here. Smokin' HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper