Has anyone here had to repair a rear tire (nail hole etc..) ?

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a nail twards the center of my rear dr side tire .Tire has 1,200 mi on it. I want to know if anyone here has been threw this? I have heard mixed opinions..some dont chance it and some say use the patch plug combo... What to do??
Ivan-

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my rear tire patched before and have NOT had any problems!! It should not be an issue unless in/near the sidewall of the tire.....Kurt

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had two flats both on back tires, told them to take tire off and put the patch on the inside .Never had one of my tires pluged.Keep a pump that work off of the cig.lighter ,air up tire and drove it to them .A lot easier than taking it off yourself.

Jake654321

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a nail in middle or right rear. I use Discount Tire. Their equipment easily handles our size rims.

Fixed from inside, no plug. No problems.

OP
OP
T

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen the patch but never seen the patch plug combo.I am driving myself crazy with this problem.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tap,

I just had this a couple of weeks ago. Caught a nail in the rear passenger, dead center of tire. I keep a small cig air compressor for autox in the trunk, it saved me to get me home safe. Took the wheel off and up to a shop that handles split rim truck wheels, etc recommended by my viper service dealer, next day I put it back on & no worries yet. They patched it from the inside, they said no plugging on these tires. I've probably got a thousand miles and one autox on the tire now and, knock on wood, all's well.

Good luck.

Dave.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal, have them put in the largest inside patch available. I've had patches put in my rear tire in both my first and second set of rear tires. I'm currently on my third set with no rear patch (thank god). I did not have any problems with them BUT when I road raced, that was all that was going through my mind when I was going around a sweeper at 125 mph. A patch voids the "Z" rating, if you can have it "vulcanized" this will retain the "Z" rating.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had it done. No problems. The plug/patch combo is mearly a patch with a small plug on the center of the patch to help center the patch on the hole. Did that make sense? AS LONG AS IT IS NOT NEAR THE SIDEWALL, YOUR FINE. I talked with many experts before I felt confident to do this and drive fast without worry.... They all said the same thing - "Don't worry, as long as it's not near the sidewall".

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Patch it and dont worry.

Ive had more Viper flats than all other 100+ cars put together !

{Would I run a patched tire in an open road race? NOPE!
In a club event of 20-minute sessions? YUP! }

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in upstate NY in the middle of nowhere one summer and picked up not one, but two screws in a rear tire. The best repair I could get was to have the holes plugged. I was only able to put another 27,000 trouble-free miles on that tire before I finally swapped it out. By that time, the other rear tire had been patch/plugged. I replaced the tires before my first Viper Days event, since I didn't want to push my luck. I'm driving around now on a patch/plugged front tire. I don't plan to do any Viper Days or compete in a Silver State Classic on these tires -- just everyday driving.

I would avoid just plugging the tire, but I really wouldn't worry about the patch/plug combo for everyday driving.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tap, go to KO Tire in Elk Grove. I had them patch my rear tire over 2 years ago. It's a family run business and they will take good care of you and do the job right.
BURNOUT.gif

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS! i disagree. drop the cash and get a new tire. i have been thru two complete sets and two additional tires for the front (i guess i just got bad luck and attract sharp metal objects to my tires) (of course my accelerator pedal had nothing to do with it). bottom line; patches are substandard and despite how minimal the chance of failure its there, and without the warrany or roadhazard or insurance of a new tire.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess if you got the excess cash, why bother with the patch/plug. Although, if you do get a new tire, you will have to replace the other side as well. All the experts told me different tread depths on left/right is a BAD idea. This means your out nearly $800 bucks after mounting/balancing. That's a lotta dough, considering a good patch/plug only cost me $25 including labor.

OP
OP
T

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the patch plug combo. You guys are #1. The responses well needed! Thanks viper brothers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456