Corsa 2 1/2

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about to pull the trigger here and take the plunge to upgrade the stock exhaust. After several phone calls with John at Parts Rack and an extensive Search on this board, it appears Corsa with the HF cats will be my choice. I've had most of my questions answered by some very friendly folks. Just wondering now if I should get the 2 1/2" or the 3" pipes. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: (in order of importance)

1. Sound. I really don't want an overwhelmingly loud exhaust system. Car is my daily driver, although it's a short commute.3" Corsa (sound bite on their web site) sounded pretty loud at idle. Probably even louder with the high flow cats. Yes, No?
Sounded great while accelerating.

2. Heat in Cockpit. Want it cooler, particularly with Florida summer coming up.

3. Interior Drone. Would like to see that cut down or eliminated.

So what's the difference? 2 1/2 vs 3 inch?

Thanks,

Hiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey vvvviper,

Nice color
tongue.gif
I have the Corsa 3" exhaust along with the Random Tech high-flo cats which I also got from JonB @ partsrack. At wide open throttle it is REAALLLYYY loud! At regular shifting/driving, it's not too loud, and is significantly cooler than the stock car. There is also almost NO drone at all with this setup. If you really want a nice sound at regular driving and really loud at WOT, get this setup!!! good luck!
smile.gif

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started with the Corsa 2.5 inch exhaust and moved to the 3 inch system a year later. Like you, I don't want a loud exhaust that gives me a headache after a couple of hours.

The 2.5 had an almost sweet tenor wail that was quite distinctive and no drone. It sounded a bit like marbles in a can at idle, but overall was quite nice.

The 3 inch is louder, but not much. It is also deeper in pitch but has a nice throaty character and also does not drone.

I like the 3 inch better overall because the sound at idle is better. It really has a taken a lousy sounding car (stock) and made it sound great.

Jim

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vvvviper,

I got the 2.5 inch with Sean Roe's oval high-flow cats. Either system will be a little bit quieter with the Random Tech vs. Sean Roe cats. At least that opinion has been expressed on the website. As far as sound, when cruising at normal RPM's 500-3000, the Corsa has reasonable sound levels and very, very little drone. I only notice a little drone from 2200-2400 RPM's, but a HUGE improvement over stock. But when you step on it, IT ROARS. I think you get the best of both world with the Corsa. Reasonably quite when cruising, and roaring at Wide Open Throttle.

As for the difference between the 2.5' and 3', I think Jim nailed it. The 3' sounds great at idle, the 2.5 not bad either, but not as mean sounding. Now at Wide Open Throttle, it comes down to taste. The 2.5 is a little higher pitched/tighter roar, whereas the 3' is a bit deeper. I can't imagine it getting any better than the 2.5 at WOT, but it comes down to personal taste. They both sound incredible when accelerating, and the difference is not that significant. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Now the HP difference between the 2.5' and the 3' is only noticed when you start doing some serious mods. Therefore, if you plan on purchasing Headers, Head/Cam packages, Supercharger, Turbo's, etc..., your probably better to go with the 3.0', although the 2.5' flows really good as well. You probably would lose a few HP if you stuck with the 2.5 after the above mods. Now the standard tubes/filter/VEC-1/high-flow cats, not much difference.

As far as side sill temps., you will notice a difference, but not as much as I expected. They will still get hot if your sitting in traffic idleling, at least mine do. Only way to make them side sills super cool is no-cat. Been there, done that. To many other negatives to go no-cat, IMO.

Any other High Flow Cat owners have cool side sills all the time? Mine are warm to the touch when I'm out cruising, and then park the car and touch the side sills. When I've been driving hard, they are a bit hot, but still can hold your hand on the side sill without getting burnt. Now if I'm stuck in traffic for a good while, or constant stop-go at low speed, they get pretty hot. I can still place my hand on the side sills for a second or two, but then I have to remove it due to heat/pain. IS THIS NORMAL FOR HIGH-FLOW CATS???

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VVVVIPER-I too had reservations I went to the Corsa 3" and am so glad I did with random tech hi flows.The sound is awesome not to loud only if your standing directly in the backof the car.you will not be sorry,the 4" pro tips are awesome as well
bounce.gif

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onerareviper:
vvvviper,
As far as side sill temps., you will notice a difference, but not as much as I expected. They will still get hot if your sitting in traffic idleling, at least mine do. Only way to make them side sills super cool is no-cat. Been there, done that. To many other negatives to go no-cat, IMO.

Any other High Flow Cat owners have cool side sills all the time? Mine are warm to the touch when I'm out cruising, and then park the car and touch the side sills. When I've been driving hard, they are a bit hot, but still can hold your hand on the side sill without getting burnt. Now if I'm stuck in traffic for a good while, or constant stop-go at low speed, they get pretty hot. I can still place my hand on the side sills for a second or two, but then I have to remove it due to heat/pain. IS THIS NORMAL FOR HIGH-FLOW CATS???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Onerare:

I'm more sensitive to noise than you. I've kept the system stock EXCEPT for Sean's HF oval cats, for the HP and a bit more volume (I admit my preference here is highly unusual). You're side sill experience, based on mine, is typical. The HFC's (sounds like chicken) REALLY reduced side sill temp, while, and just after "hiway" driving. During and just after "stop & go" they're still warm/hot....but a touch no longer leaves a mark (I swear my calves used to smoke before). I also find that the interior does not superheat as much.

OP
OP
V

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to those who responded. I appreciate the input. I went ahead and placed the order with Jon @ Parts Rack today. Getting the High Flow Cats with Corsa 3" system. Now it's just a matter of days. I have a strange (and happy) feeling it's going to be like having a brand new Viper all over again. I can't wait. Thanks again, and particular thanks to Jon........gee I've only been calling him for a few months telling him I wanted to do this.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Citysnake,

That has been my exact experience with Sean Roe's ovals as far as reduction in side sill temps. How about you folks with the Random Tech. high-flow cats? Would you describe the reduction in side sill temps like Citysnake and I? The Roe ovals are a tight fit, and I always wondered if this caused the side sills to be a little hotter, in comparision to other (smaller) high flow cats.

Thanks