Track Events & Insurance Claims: Lessons Learned in my Trial (LONG)

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can tell my the emoticon that I won, but it took almost two years ! Some of you may recall that at one of the Panoz Racing School's "Track Days" programs I went through Turn 1 too fast, intentionally drove over the rumble strips into the run off area on the side of the nearby hill. When I did my airbags popped out, completely obstructed my vision and by the time they deflated I hit the wall a glancing, but frame bending, blow.

Track Days is NOT a racing event. It is primarily instructional in nature, complete with instructors at the important corners of the track who give advice after the each session. Racing can result in being expelled.

The costs of repair were about $26,000, which as I have come to learn is about the average repair ticket on a Viper wreck ($25,000). After about two and one-half months, Progressive denied my claim saying I was either racing or in "practice or preparation" to race. My policy uses that phrase in its exclusion. The most damming fact for me was that not three weeks before I had just completed a three-day road racing school and about 5 days before completed and submitted an application for an SCCA regional competition license (which I later received and let lapse due to my failure to use it. That I had to get a physical to get the license and had put as one of my hobbies "race car driving" was introduced as to my intent.

The jury awarded me, due to the excellent representation of my counsel, (i) the full costs of repair (appx. $26,000), (ii) diminution in the value of my car ($12,500), (iii) bad faith penalties ($7,000), and (iv) $25,000+) in legal fees and costs.

Progressive (they're not) argued that in addition to the above facts and due to the following factors, I must have been intending or preparing to race:

(i) My car is one of the fastest made and I modified it to go even faster;

(ii) that I had driven in timed events in the past;

(iii) that I had a competition license;

(iv) that I had 5 point harnesses; and

(v) that I had modified the factory proportioning valve.

Witnesses that we called were my mechanic at Marietta Dodge (Joe Cross) who did a great job, particularly when he pointed out that disabling the proportioning valve would make the rear brakes apply faster/stronger. Many thanks to Marietta Dodge ! My usual mechanic J.D. Farmer there would have been called but he had been recovering from a bad car accident and has just now arrived back on the job.

Our other witness, besides me, was Cass Whitehead from the Panoz Racing School. He instructs there and races a Porsche for a team in the Midwest. He's an awesome guy and his testimony was favorable, impartial and informative.

After the trial the parties got to interview some of the jurors, including the foreman, and boy wasn't hat interesting ! Most simply didn't believe the insurance company’s reasons for denial. They felt it was a smokescreen and thus awarded the bad faith penalties. If they hadn't, I would have had to pay 1/3 of any award to my lawyer and would have been out of pocket yet having won the case !

The female jurors were the hardest to convince. The Viper track experience is a "guy thing" to be sure (sorry Rhonda and Janni). In impaneling the jury I asked my attorney to use any legal and proper means to minimize the number of women. Not to discriminate but to get the most favorable panel. It worked !

Some things that hurt me with the jury were (i) the Porsches for Breakfast; Ferraris for lunch license plate border. I quipped after the trial that it was merely a diplomatic dining invitation my fellow car enthusiast who drive different marques and that I just placed it in the most likely place it could be seen - - my rear license plate.

Aside from having a competition license (Skip, stop issuing these. They may be cool to carry, but they WILL NOT help your students should they have an incident.

The timing of laps at Viper Days and other vents is VERY damning. I convinced the jury that this is done for safety reasons to prevent bunching of cars and drivers with differing speed and capabilities - - which is absolutely true, but the giving of trophies etc. at events is a BAD fact.

In retrospect it would have been easier to have towed my car home and pushed it into a ditch, but I could not bring myself to commit insurance fraud and risk my own license to practice law.

I hope that my two-year ordeal gives other some ammunition to deal with their track incidents. If you are here in GA, I can recommend a great trial lawyer - - Bill Strickland. He was masterful.

Now, its time to get back up on that horse... er, snake !

OP
OP
R

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me be clear here, there was no timing by the organizers of the Track Days event. Do others time cars for their own curiosity ? Yes. Passing is by point over only in designated passing zones and there is a three strikes and you're out policy for off-track excursions.

That this happened on a race track, according to the company's own testimony, was not a reason - - though you know in their minds that they denied the claim the instant they heard that fact. I challenge anyone to find a better place to explore your driving capabilities and your car's limits and handling idiosyncracies. We all know the snake can bite. Remember, autocross may be safer but it's timed and is probably excluded. You may recall the film clip of the Vette driver taking out an onlooker at an autocross when he lost control. That claim I am sure was not covered if he was being timed and I'll guaranty that my damaeges pale in comparison.

Nevertheless, Big D, if you feel that you in Washington cross subsidized my insurance premiuims here in Georgia (and for your sake I hope Progressive isn't your carrier and that you are not a shareholer), then I guess I owe you thanks. By the way, Big D, your anti-lawyer bias is showing. Believe it or not, we lawyers enjoy the same rights as normal citizens. Whether that's a good thing we can debate (and I love to debate). The fact is I offered the company a $30,000 settlement 1 week before trial and they were so cocksure they'd win they didn't even respond. I tried to be as equitable as I could be. But I have no sympathy for a company that delayed for two years, caused me to expend two years' worth of my savings on repairs and were "Big Ds" the whole time.

FYI, the court cannot award interest on the $26,000 repair costs while one waits for his check ! However, if they appeal the judgement, they have to pay 12% interest. :^) I can honestly say that the correct decision was rendered. The bad faith award was due to (i) the company's stated reasons for denial having been ascertained after they had already denied my claim (i.e., they were just case building), and (ii) the jury's desire for me not to recover less after paying attorneys' fees than my actual out of pocket repair costs.

Moral to the story: Jury trials can be a crap shoot, but as a plaintiff, NEVER waive your right to one.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow - great story and great information!!

Did you get your car fixed after the accident by paying out of pocket or has your GTS been out of commission for the past two years?

What evidence did you use for the diminution of value?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>When I took the Justin Bell school I remember signing a release form saying I would be liable for any damage to the cars. On a race track the object is to go around as fast as possible, you may claim it's a school but facts are facts (a race track?).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The object of a performance school is to teach you how to handle your car, and how to drive it safely within your limits. That is a fact. So what if it's on a race track. If someone is going to teach me how to handle turns into a corner, going off road or how to handle a car while the rear is sliding out, I would hope it's on a track and not on the public roads. The key word is it's a school. The release form for liability just means that the track has no responsibility for damage, you have to take care of how to handle the repairs.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the purpose of the event was to "to go around as fast as possible". But that does not classify the event as a "race".

"Going around as fast as possible" does not cause such damage to the automobile. The damage was caused by the collision. I've been to many driving events at race tracks and they have been as safe or safer than driving on the street.

There is a huge difference between a "track day" and racing. Racing is a full contact sport. Many cars get banged up. Typically "track days" do not allow "door to door" racing whether or not the laps are timed.

Now if you would like to argue that the crash could or should have been avoided, then that's a different situation. But just remember most all of the collisions on the road could and should have easily been avoided.

The way I see it is that the insurance companies should cover track days. But they do have the right to adjust premiums only after a pattern of bad driving has been proven. For example, RockyTop should expect to see an increase in his premium (if he kept the same insurance) because he has now shown that driver error was the cause of the collision.

As a personal example, my family has proven that we are much better at driving on a race track than on the street. We have had several collisions on public roads but never a single incident in thousands of miles at track days.

OP
OP
R

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was out of commission for about 6 months while I waited and pressed them for payment. When in October (accident happened in July) it was clear none would be forthcoming, I authorized the shop to commence repair on my nickel. There were corners cut in the repair that had the company paid the claim as they should would have resulted in much higher repair costs. The cracked hood was repaired not replaced. The bent hood hinges ($1400 part) were repaired, but today the spacing between the hood and fascia is a bit off kilter. Thus the company by their refusal to pay got to piggy-back off of my inability to pay for a full and complete repair job done to the standrads that most other Viper owners would impose.

As for diminution, I got estimates from Jon B. and Bill Pemberton, both were VERY helpful to me. Thanks again guy s! I love this club ! I turned out,however, their letters were heresay and could not be admitted - though they provided me a basis to form an opinion on the amount of the diminution which opinion I expressed on the stand for whatever it was worth. We also got a guy who estimates diminution for insurnace companies to testify and he gave a $12,125 figure. That he normally worked for insurance companies was helpful.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you, another member in Dallas went through this, but I don't think it went to court, they just covered it since it was an instructional event.

Now, with your experience, you can open up a special practice for track wrecks.

Congrats, and thanks for the data, hopefully none of us will need it
smile.gif

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rockytop, Your welcome for my help with the Georgia premiums......does this mean I will or will not see you in nine days at Road Atlanta (Panoz)?
smile.gif

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSchillinger:
Big D: I am trying to figure out whether you are an as#hole or a *****, or both. Which is it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure this guy wouldn't mind paying for all the repairs even if he was covered by his insurance and smacked his car up at a driving school. You pay for insurance in case you NEED IT, Rocky NEEDED it and finally it was given to him. Big D, go look at your insurance quote, I bet it hasn't changed a bit and if it did it was minimal. There are more dangerous drivers out on the roads driving drunk, getting in wrecks and raising your premiums than are people LEARNING how to drive their viper fast in a safe environment.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving at the track *is* dangerous, and can result is siginificant damage to your car. I always think about the financial and personal risk when I'm running at a track day. I am concerned enough about incurring a financial loss that I normally used my much less expensive Z28 then my Viper. If I crash the Z28, I'm out $12,000. If I crash the Viper it will be much worse.

My point is, we all know the risks of track driving and should not necessaruly rely on the insurance compay to be a saftey net. If you aren't prepared to pay for the vehicle, my advice is to keep your speed down.

Now, after saying that, if I ever crash one of my cars at a track day, I will absolutely try to get the insurance company to pay for repairs, but if we end up with an increasing number of these kinds of claims, the insurance industry will end up not covering associated damage.

Also, I think the insurance companies can make a strong case that official timed events like Viper Days are not covered. When I drive at Viper Days, I behave as if my car is NOT covered by insurance.

Rockytop, I assume that you are shopping for a new insurance company? Which one did you go with?

Jim

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting all of this. So where does VIO type tracking stand in all of this. My understanding is that you do get an instructor to ride with you. Also, no timing is done. My policy says the following in regards to exclusions:

<FONT COLOR="red">
Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:

a) competing in; or

b) Practicing or preparing for; any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest
</FONT c>

Do most of your coverages have the same type of exclusions??

Ron

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Very interesting all of this. So where does VIO type tracking stand in all of this. My understanding is that you do get
an instructor to ride with you. Also, no timing is done. My policy says the following in regards to exclusions:

Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:

a) competing in; or

b) Practicing or preparing for; any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest

Do most of your coverages have the same type of exclusions??

Ron
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but what is excluded from the exclusion is driving school. I am covered for that and, unfortunately, have had to use it. State Farm is who I use. (p.s. the claim adjustor did give me a hard time on the difference between racing and driving school. She just did not get it. Even insinuated I was a liar. I had to get my insurance salesman involved to explain the difference.)

OP
OP
R

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron C, reading the language of your exclusion "located inside a facility designed for racing", appears worse for the insured than mine was. My interpretation is that this exclusion, admittedly taken out of context, is that if you are on a track, then a loss is not covered (absent an exclusion to the exclusion !). I cannot think that a defensive driving school held on a track would be excluded, but the wording of your policy is what we basocally said mProgressive could haves used but since they didn't, then the policy is appropriately construeed in a light least favorable to the drafter (that's the law).

My case turned on the "Practicing or preparing for; any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest" portion. In the end my policy is just worded differently than yours. Make sure you are looking at the exclusions to collision coverage for property damage. There can be inconsistent language within the same policy and it may save your butt !

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is truly odd. When I had an incident at Texas Motor Speedway last year Progressive paid with a further comment that they probably would have paid even if it had been a timed event. Of course they never wanted to see me again . . . .

The car in my avatar is no more, but I do like the photo so there it stays.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My .02 cents. As an ED physician I get the displeasure of seeing victims of traffic accidents all the time. Funny thing is, in 10 years I can recall no patients who were drivers of sports cars with track or autocross experience. In fact, I dont think I have seen any sports car drivers at all. Even with the high cost of repair on that one Viper, I dont think progressive lost anywhere close to my last cell phone jockey in her Saturn who creamed a minivan and sent 5 people to the hospital. Soon our policys will have cell phone, makeup, and hot coffee exclusions. Driver courses for high performance vehicles prevent high losses on the street, dont sweat the one or two losses at the track.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RockyTop:
.....As for diminution, I got estimates from Jon B. and Bill Pemberton, both were VERY helpful to me. Thanks again guy s! I love this club ! ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMPORTANT: VERY IMPORTANT.

I have helped 3 local members thru insurance claims at events that I had either put on, or instructed for. 2 folks hospitalized. 2 cars totalled. All were paid in full, but not without scrutiny. Those of you who put on these events should know how to help pass scrutiny:

-- SIGN IN ON THE EVENT LIABILITY RELEASE AS "STUDENT" in the area where it asks for duty or function. NEVER sign as driver, racer, competitor, etc. Your MOTIVE is clear on the legal document as you entered the facility: STUDENT.

-- Be sure that Instructors sign in as INSTRUCTORS.

-- Other attendees sign in as SAFETY CREW or "OBSERVERS"

-- Publish a rule on the event sheet "POST NO TIMES."

-- Never allow anyone to sign in as pit crew, etc.

-- The admittance sheets WILL be examined for patterns. Dont spew testosterone when you sign in!

-- DON'T AWARD PRIZES / AWARDS / TROPHIES that recognize speed.

-- "Most Improved" is OK. "Best Driver" is OK. SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD ok. Hard-Luck award OK. Nothing that relates to a CONTEST or SPEED CONTEST should be involved.

-- When you get your event insurance policy, be sure to describe it as a "Performance Driving School" Be sure to add "Event Organizors and Driving Instructors" to the policy. Enumerate them: ie: Jon Brobst, Larry Schmidt, Doris Rose, and 10 ICSCC Driving Instructors" This ensures that if the worst happens, the event was designed a SCHOOL, and that the instructors were an important element as the event organizors.

-- Drag racers Note: Your ash is grash. The event is ALWAYS timed. Hard to be a school. Hit the wall.......buy a new car.

-- Be Safe Out There..........

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Jon, in regards to your last post

How does this relate to VOI7??? Do all the criteria fit in the track events, with the exception of drag racing???

Ron

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought they first look:
was it a race?
was it timed?
What is the event Sponsor???
How was the event advertised?
never heard about waiver signature? (thanks JonB)

I agree...the trophies and posted laptimes might make Viper Days a tough case.

By the way..why did the airbags deploy just from the turtles and runoff...this is not good news?

I did a few BMW schools @1993 at Mosport in Canada and the club organizers actually refused to let us use Nomex suits and told us to keep any stop watches hidden...due to the clubs insurance company actually coming out and snooping.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big D:
I may be an A**hole but I am not a *****, they live in Canada I think.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not just an @sshole you're a f*&#!ng @sshole.

This comment about Canadians being morons really shows who the true ***** is.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big D:
That may be true but you spelt a##hole wrong twice, once @sshole and then as#hole. I am not sure about f*&#ing, perhaps thats French.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man you must be really stupid. where did I spell it wrong? i used an <FONT size="6">@</FONT s> for an "a", use you're brilliance, I'm sure you'll see it. As for the other one, I'm sure you get it.

OP
OP
R

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B.'s advice regarding holding and participating in track events/schools is right on. In my case they introduced evidence that Viper Days events were timed. Luckily, the first one I went to was the Finals in 99 and I was not permitted to participate for trophies. I could have cared less anyway.

On the stand I gladly pointed out that timing is as much an indicator of the quality of one's driving as it is an indicator of a contest and that timing is often used as a safety measure to prevent grouping of cars and to avoid wide differences in HP and experience being on the track at the same time.

I intend for my next Viper Days event at VIR to write on the face of my initial application (and any other related correspondence) that I do not want to be timed for any competitive purpose and only for placement within run groups to promote safety at the event. I can buy my own $20.00 trophy and put on there that I won the Grand Prrix of Monaco if I feel the need to clutter my mantle ! ;^)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
RockeyTop - I'm going to take a wild guess here - You have/had State Farm don't you? Just curious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave