Squeaking Breaks

randall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the stock pads are very expensive metallic pads $300-400,designed for high speed usage-185 mph.they just squeak.
frown.gif

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2k2 Viper RT10:
I have a 2002 RT/10 and it has 600 miles.When ever I apply the break the breaks squeak.The dealer said it was normal and that if it was still squeaking at 1200 miles to bring it in.Are they telling the truth?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2k2:

Do yourself a favor...RELAX. First of all, the new pad squeal will turn heads BEFORE you get there (always a surprise when they turn to find find a Viper)! The squeal WILL dissipate to some degree (mine was 99% gone) somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 miles. I think you'll find that if you apply the brakes a bit harder than usual, you can avoid the squeal till it goes away on its own. IMHO, don't change the pads for a few thousand miles. You'll have PLENTY of time to play with mods later. Enjoy your beautiful new car!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear pads were the squeaking set. The fronts squeaked a little but the backs were bad. You could just try changing the backs if you want to keep the fronts. My squeak never went away even after 25K miles and many high speed stops. EBC greens will stop the squeal and have very little dust. Also the fronts are $250 (quoted by local Dodge dealer) complete set front & back of EBC around $150-170 (can't remember exactly)

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2001 GTS made a lot of noise with stock brake pads, mostly under light braking.

I replaced them with EBC Greens (front and rears), and it still makes noise, however, now it is under moderate braking when the pads are cold. If I apply the brakes hard 2 or 3 times, the noise goes away. If I allow the brakes to cool (like on the freeway) they squeal again on the next moderate application. My viper tech (Dave Jenkins) turned the rear rotors to ensure they were properly scuffed, but it didnt solve the problem.

My opinion is that the fronts work great for noise reduction, but the rears (2001) ****.

For what it is worth, I think the stock pads stop much better than the EBC greens. Dont get me wrong, the EBCs stop the car OK, but I think the stock pads feel and stop better. I have noticed some reduction in dust but they are by no means, dustless.

I'm considering changing the rears back to the stock pad. Does anyone have any experience with this (EBCs front and stock rear)?

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You did NOT just go there. Prepare to get flamed.

(yes, it's normal -- use the search button and buy EBC Green's)