Front wheel wells sill plates melting

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone else have this occur? I have only 1000 miles on this car.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With only a thousand miles wow. Bring ti back to the dealer, I just replaced my exhaust system and the insulation where the cats were was burnt and some missing, but my gts has 25000 on it. If your car is not under warranty you can simply take the side sills off and check for this yourself, and remedy as needed preferebly with high flow cats. Good luck.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had seen the start of plastic distortion/melting, and I had noticed that the passenger side was noticably hotter than the driver's side, even after adding high-flow cats.

After looking all around to define the problem it ended up being that the glue buttons that held the side sill insulator and popped loose, and the insulation was shifting down withing the side sills, leaving the top open to the heat.

After figuring that out, we fed the insulation inbetween the body and exhaust first, making sure that it was tucked in before putting the cover back on. It made a HUGE difference with the side sill plastic cover just warm to the touch, rather than blazing hot as it was before.

I'd have the dealer check it out for you before it melts further, or perhaps starts a fire.

-Dean.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I remember when Wife got her 99 ACR ( one of the first 60, the dealer called her the next day and asked about these plates at the front of the sills...he had taked delivery of an ACR at the same time and his had MELTED with only a few miles on the car. Fortunately, Wife's were OK...no trouble to date.