"Fix" for the lack of AC temperature control???

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"Fix\" for the lack of AC temperature control???

Just wanted to post an 'FYI' and see if everyone else noted the same...

On my 94 RT/10, as I have noticed others post here, you can NOT vary the temperature when the AC is on! In other words, when the AC knob is turned to the far left, the temperature control becomes inactive; hence, when it is just a bit warm outside, you have to keep turning the AC on and off to not freeze.

Well, something I have noticed and have not seen anyone else comment on is ... if you turn the AC knob to the second most right position (windshield defrost and feet), the air is not simply Vent, but turns the AC compressor on. In this position (as well as the true defrost position), you can vary the temperature with the AC!!! This especially helpful at night when no AC is a bit hot, but even the lowest speed on AC freezes you!

I am unsure if this works on the GenII...actually unsure if it works for anyone else since this has been my first Viper, but figured I would share my observation with everyone. Thanks!!!

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Fix\" for the lack of AC temperature control???

The Owner's Manual for my '96 RT/10 provides the following info for the two right positions of the Mode Control:

Floor/Defrost -- Air comes through both the defroster outltes and the floor outlets. If your Viper has A/C, the air will be conditioned.

Defrost -- Air comes from the defroster outlets, toward the windshield. If your Viper has A/C, the air will be conditioned.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's true, when you use the defrost, you can either make the air HOT or Cold by using the temperature control.
Mine is a 1998 GTS..

G

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are still not varying the temperature. It's impossible since there is no blend door to belnd the hot air from the heater core with the cold air from the evap. Hot or cold, but not 'blended'.

OP
OP
J

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I may be wrong, but I am almost positive that I am indeed blending the air - in other words, the more heat I dial in, the more it gets warmer and vice versa.

Maybe there is AC coming out of one of the vents and heat out of another???

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I also noticed this with A/C. Temperature control does not seem to effect temperature at all - ie., it's always cold. Is there a fix for this or just the nature of the beast?

Thanks

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

The temperature is controlled, but not by blended air. There is a valve on the passenger footbox that controls coolant flow through the heat exchanger. More hot water and you get more hot air.

This should also tell you about cockpit temperatures when the fan is off. Some air will always enter the speaker cover on the hood, since there is no air blending door to close anything off. It can be heated (or not) and flow into the passenger compartment. So you still might want to fiddle with the temp knob, even if the fan is off.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

If memory serves me correctly the A/C is either on or off. the themostat control is only active on the heater side of the equation.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

If memory serves me correctly the A/C is either on or off. the themostat control is only active on the heater side of the equation.

Exactly - heater seems to vary with the control knob but NOT AC. Thanks!

Cal Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The AC is used to dry the air before it gets to the defrost circuit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss