Late model GTS air conditioning

S

SUN RA KAT

They predicted 90 degrees & it hit 101 degrees in Dayton, Ohio.

I'm getting closer to deciding on getting a Viper - right now I'm leaning towards a 2002 or 2001 GTS over the SRT-10 (not sure if I want to wait over a year...).

Question: How well does the GTS air conditioning work in 101 degree temperatures? (And any other observations you may have about the air conditioning.)

Thanks.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many people have changed the exhausts and put on hi flow cats to help combat the side sill heat. In my experience, this greatly reduces the heat!!.....Kurt
smile.gif

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Kurt Red 94 RT10 -

I'm already planning on getting high flow cats and the Corsa cat back put as part of the purchase if I buy one new or getting them put on ASAP if I buy used.

Will the air conditioning be powerfull enough to cool the inside on an extremely hot & sunny day? How well does the temperature control work on adjusting the air conditioning?

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a recent cruise, I was in 88 - 90 degree weather. It was great to roll up the windows and turn on the AC.

I have found that the "control" is best done merely using the fan speed switch.

For what it's worth.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snake Bitten:
Get an RT, take the top off, problem solved!
yesnod.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohhhhhh...so NOT so.

We would have cooked in the RT. (And did many times.) Even a GTS with only the windows down is cooler. (In temperature that is.)
smile.gif
At least you have the shade from the roof.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Ohhhhhh...so NOT so.

We would have cooked in the RT.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig...Ball cap and a heavy right foot = RT/AC
cool.gif

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The air conditioning in a Viper is marginal. It will keep you cool in 100 degree heat, but if the car is already hot from sitting out in the sun it takes a long time to cool it down.
Believe the SRT will have improved air conditioning, even with automatic temperature control.
Sorry if this is bad news, but with that big V-10 heat pump up front something has to give.
PS It was 116 in Phoenix today.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AC in these cars ***** it was 114 today, and with the ac going full blast even with ALL my windows tinted including the windshield I was still stetting like a pig... for a $90K car you think that would put a good AC in it... but not dodge!

I would recomend buying a Corvette if you want somthing that is nice to drive...

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Snake Bitten -
I tried a RT-10 and I'm 4" too tall to fit in it with the soft top on with the stock heighth seats. With the 2" seat lowering kit (I'd have to have the seats adjusted all the way back anyway), I'd still be 2" too tall. Shortly after I sat in the RT-10 a surprise thunderstorm of Biblical proportions came up...which is why I have to limit my search to the GTS (now)...or the SRT-10 (wait over a year).

Warren 00 GTS -
I keep the air conditioning turned to full cold 99.5% of the time in my 2000 Dodge Ram - the replacement for Freon does not cool nearly as well. But at least those lucky enough to be short enough to drive the RT-10 don't have to worry so much about getting skin cancer now...

Paul Hawker -
I think the SRT-10 will be a big improvement over the current generation of Vipers in every way except exterior styling. The SRT-10 looks great, the the current generations of Vipers can never be improved upon in looks. Which is why I'm having such a hard time deciding which one to get.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

FastMatt -
It's hotter where you're at because of all the Atomic Bomb testing at Alamogordo in the 50's!

I don't even come close to fitting in a Corvette! Tried it, but it didn't work. Besides I'm a MOPAR man.

I do fit in the GTS with a seat lowering kit, though.

With your ACR, I'm surprised you don't roll down your windows and go fast enough to get a wind chill factor going...
supergrin.gif

Oops! I forgot about all the leftover radiation.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hot and humid here in Miami (but never 100 degrees!) and have no problems keeping fairly cool.

It's well known, pointed out by others above, that the air conditioning is rather rustic but reasonably effective---it's either on or off (temp control is largely cosmetic); your only variable control is the fan speed knob.

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Houston, the A/C really doesn't cut it in my 01 GTS. I have a couple of ideas, but first off, I wonder why my 01 Intrepid will give you frost bite while the Viper is so weak on A/C? They must be similar/same parts to the A/C?

Idea 1: On any setting, the A/C is pulling a huge amount of &gt;100degf outside air in through the hood scoop. Test this out by putting your hand over the A/C intake with the hood open. It's more that is necessary for keeping the oxygen content high enough in the car to keep you alive. I have tried a restrictor plate, but the intake volume from the inside of the car seems to be insufficient to make up for the loss of outside air.

Some research needs to be done to increase the amount of inside air that the system can pull in. This would also solve the problem of sucking in fumes from those wonderful, old Mercedes diesels that we all love!

Idea 2: The GTS is also trying to cool the greenhouse under the hatch. If a Plexiglass barrier could be made between the passenger area and the trunk, the A/C would have much much less area to cool. I would think a template could be made, then cut out the Plexiglass and put a rubber or foam seal around it and somehow hook it into place. It would probably cut down on road noise from the rear area as well.

Anyone in the Plexiglass business?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62