What do you think a 2001 GTS will be worth in 5 years

S

SUN RA KAT

I'm investing in the 2002 GTS I'm getting new from Woodhouse with a worst case scenario of the Viper losing $30,000 in value over about 10+ years - but then again just about all vehicles will lose that much in value and I rather drive a Viper than just about all vehicles during that time.

Like I said, I'm investing in the 2002 GTS I'm getting new from Woodhouse with a best case scenario of the SRT-10 makes a lot of sales for Team PVO and the Gen I, and especially Gen II Vipers going way up in value because they are the TRUE Classics. I believe by 2007 the value of today's Vipers will have already bottomed out and will be worth about what a 3 year old viper is worth today. By 2012 I predict today's Vipers will be worth every penny that they cost, including sales tax. By 2022 they will be selling for well over $100K.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JusSumFastGi:

2001 GTS, lets say yellow W black stripes
base everything
40k miles.

My guess in 2007 ... $34,000

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess, 50K +

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say high 40's to low 50's in 5 years. Keep in mind inflation, $50K 5 years from now is like $45K today.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Million Dollars....

Dr. Evil
saevil.gif

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A new 1995 RT/10 sold new for $54,500 and today they sell for around $41,000. About a 25% loss over 8 years.

A new 1996 GTS sold new for $66,045 and today they sell for around $50,500. About a 25% loss over 7 years.

A new 2001 Sells for $75,000 and should be about the same as the others after 7 years(a 25% loss) So my guess would be $56,250 in 2007.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JusSumFastGi:
Yes but most people will look at a 1993 Viper and ask "is it new?" because the current RT/10 is almost the same car. With the new SRT/10, the gernal public will look at the GENII-I as just the GenI and the "old" car. I think we are about to experience the first "new model" price drop.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did the price on vipers "drop" when the new C5 came out?

You said it yourself...

Really, the 2003 is a totaly different car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apples and Oranges.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well 90% of 5 year old kids know it's a Viper GTS right now, and my Mom saw a pic of me in an SRT today and seriously asked if that was a Miata , if you subscribe to your theory us GENII guys are in great shape, as "most people" will not know what kind of car it is!

my vote:

1 Million Dollars, we shall call it the Alan Parsons Project!!haha, more like 45ish for a clean GENII or so.

this debate will go for a while yet gang, I wish that SRT would jsut get released already, cupholder and all!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 03 model change is not going to have any negative affect on the original.

Bruce is right, cars are not an investment. But of the cars built in the past 20 years the Viper has the investment potential of pre 68 Vettes, which are now going for 10 - 20 times their original cost.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, gotta disagree with Sumfastgi, as we only have to look at today to extrapolate for tommorrow.

1996 Vipers - in many places they are still commanding around 50K, and they are no where near the 30 range. Initial cost , less than today's models.

2001 -2002 models - the only ABS models to be built in this body style, plus the rear end(pumpkin )was beefed up to accomodate a rear diff cooler and heavy components were installed.
Using the same logic of what the increase in price was new, a 2001 over 50K is very reasonable, and not a denial type of approach.

Old farts, like myself, saw a phenomenon occur that parallels this, when the new Corvette came out in 68. Baby Boomers whacked out on the edgy 68 ( Mako Shark concept car in the flesh ) and sales were guaranteed. Older folks grumbled that it didn't look like a Vette anymore, and Chevy screwed up. Sales were tremendous, and GM was ecstatic. The older style stayed relatively stable, and has over the years become the icon model that Vette owners aspire to - and prices are ballistic!

You will probably see 1500 GTS , ABS models ever made , and even fewer RT-10s. This, common sense says, will be the paramount issue ( much like a split window or a 427 is in a Vette, or a air-cooled Turbo is in a Porsche ) as many who are racing already know ABS is huge --- case in point is the 100 lb penalty for the Viper Racing League cars that have ABS.

We haven't taken inflation into play, the emotional factors that the cars will be available only on the used market and with such low build numbers that folks will be shocked.

Heck, after reading this, I better trade mine in and get another.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The way vipers are being wrecked lately I'll say $43k+. I have a feeling they'll become rarer the cheaper they get and will have to balance out eventually. Kinda like the whole "nature balances itself out evenutually" thing.

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
The 03 model change is not going to have any negative affect on the original.

Bruce is right, cars are not an investment. But of the cars built in the past 20 years the Viper has the investment potential of pre 68 Vettes, which are now going for 10 - 20 times their original cost.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Plus, there were more vettes built in any ONE year than all Vipers combined over the last ELEVEN.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Don't get me wrong, I pray my car is worth 50k in five years. (what would that be, a 2k year loss for me, lol, great!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jussumfastgi,

I didn't realize you bought a Viper. What did you get?

Later

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Bill Pemberton...

the 01-02 cars will be slightly more valuable to serious collectors!

Like the 66-67 vettes,1964-65 Porsche,73-74 Ferrari, 70-71 Mercedes and many other cars that that became highly collectible.

The collector cars that sell for the highest dollar are almost always the last years of production and with factory options or upgrades!

The 01-02 cars are the last years of production and the 01-02 cars come with special options and colors not available on other Vipers.

In some collector cars the last years of production can bring as much as a 25%-40% premium over earlier models of the same car..

LONG TERM INVESTMENT WOULD DEFINATELY FAVOR THE 01-02 CARS..

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the '96 and '97 will be worth more...
Unlike midyear Corvettes (63-67) there is no major engine change for the GTS Coupe...basically 450 horse each and every year.
The pace car is and always will be the one to have for a true collector. Also, a beefier cam for the earlier Vipers is very desirable.

Shakin Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree on the last two years will probably be the most sought after, the one year colors, the ACR's, the final edition especially the ACR Final Edition could really be called the collector's edition.

How about the one unit 02 Blue with White stripe raffle GTS. That car if cared for properly will really be worth some serious coin someday.

However, all years will appreciate with the low production numbers and considering how beautiful they are. I think the 92's should be commanding some extra cash someday.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some interesting price actions:

LAPTOP MEMORY:

Starts off expensive, slowly comes down in price, becomes incredibly cheap, supply begins to dry up, supply drys up and price rockets upward.

FERRARIS:

Many are worth more than what people paid for them - and this applies to newer ones too.

VIPER CONSIDERATIONS:

The number of Vipers may dwindle due to crashes/wrecks - especially if the price softens and the car becomes "affordable."

However, this will precipitate a price escalation.

When was the last time a US car had price behavior like Ferrari or Porsche, etc?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
A 01 yellow w Black. My vettes being loaded into the transport when they unload the Snake. Sure as hell took me long enough.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah!!! I love the Bumble Bee combo. That would be a great color combo in Pittsburgh. All our sports team are black n' gold (yellow). All you need is a Steeler emblem on one side of the Viper.

* Little know Fact: The Steelers only place there emblem on one side of the helmet. Not sure, but I think there the only NFL team to do this....

P.S. - Post some pics of that beast.

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are numerous AMERICAN cars that appreciated even more than a Porsche or Ferrari!! There was even a CHRYSLER! The 1949 Town and Country convertible!! This car is worth $40,000-70,000 10-20 times its original cost..

How about DUSENBERG SJ or CADILAC V-16..the 1957 CHEVY Convertible,the NOMAD,the FUELIE and HI-PO VETTES, HI-PO AND SHELBY MUSTANGS,ALLARDS, ***** WAGONS and the COBRAS.

All of these AMERICAN cars and hundreds more have become very collectible and have Radically appreciated over their original cost.

Just about any shinny and clean 50s-70s AMERICAN convertible is worth $6,500-$8,500+ for a rust free car . This is usually 2-4 times the original cost.

Dollar for dollar many of these cars have done better than a Porsche or Ferrari. Trust me I own many Vintage Porsches and Ferraris.. These cars have stalled and the AMEICAN cars continue to appreciate

I sold a HURST OLDS INDY PACE CAR CONVERTIBLE($4,200 New) for $12,500 in 1995 This was 3 times its original cost.. My friend just sold one for $45,000! This is almost 10 times its original cost. I sold a Shelby 500 KR Converitible for $14,000 in 1986 it recently sold for $89,000! 12 times it original cost!!!

A VIPER should appreciate in a similar manor! We could all be rich in 20+ years!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With inflation, those numbers are unimpressive. Still taking quite a loss.
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Compared to property yes. Compared to other cars no.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXECMALIBU,

I know there are many, many "old" American cars that have appreciated in price.

How about the Cobras and Daytona Cobra!

I was thinking more about how some cars that are new or just a couple of years old that have appreciated.

If the Gen 1/2 take 20 years to appreciate, then it would be financially best to sell your Gen 1/2 now, buy it back when the market bottoms and ride the appreciation wave up.

Too much work.