need advice on buying a 94 viper

JRB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am planning to buy a 1994 viper and could use advise as to what to look out for! I have never owned a viper so I need a lot of help.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, the basic car stuff (oil levels/color, clutch fluid, brake fluid, etc.). Check for scratched dash (it will... it's a gen1!), loose interior pieces.
If you can, get a VCA member and/or viper tech to put it up on a lift. I'm guessing your buying from a individual?

Make sure it's had it's head gasket or arrow rebuild done. Lower milage does NOT mean better on gen1's...

Make sure it has original windows, and rear glass. Should have a soft top too. Check tires for wear.

Umm.. what else guys? Creaking exhaust hangers?

James

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to check every switch, button and other operational equipment. When I bought mine it had only 800 miles on it and had never been licensed. I didn't turn on the windshield wipers to test them. Months later I found myself in a sudden rain storm and the wipers hung up on each other. I had to drive fast enough so that the wind blew the rain off the windshield. It had a bad wiper motor which was replaced under warranty. That is the only problem I have had with the car (7,500 miles on it).
Bob K

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having an inspection on a lift by a reputable Viper Tech is a MUST...You want to check for any signs of damage underneath, collision work, etc. Also Tech should be able to see if any TSB work has been done to the car. Example, I don't know the 94 specifics, but if there was a common issue that would have been taken care of under warranty (say it had a TSB) you would want to know if it had been done or not. Example on my 96 is the alarm. Not a big deal, but the hood switch needs to be relocated as the hood actually expands enough in the hot sun to trip the alarm! Not that something like this means not to buy the car, just that you are aware, and if its a significant expense you can factor that into the purchase price.

Viper Tech will also road test the car...That tells alot too!

Good Luck!

Tomer

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hood switch doesn't work
frown.gif

Also, 94's are common for having stress cracks on the hood!

James

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
head gaskets-head gaskets-head gaskets, esp if it is a low milage car. Seems that the problem is more prevelent in low milage cars than high milage cars. Other than that and the neutral safety switch they are pretty tough old cars!

OP
OP
J

JRB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW, What I don't know is scary! The sellor had not had the car very long and he does not know the answers to these questions - head gaskets, rebuilt, etc.
Thanks for the help.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dont be afraid....
I bought my 94 2 and a half years ago, before I knew about this web site and I lucked out and bought a very nice one.
Only problem after 18k miles (car now has about 33k) is I replaced a $40.00 p/s hose. Other than that I have only changed the oil. I think they are great reliable cars (knock on wood).
Cheers,

OP
OP
J

JRB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
26,000 miles and I can't talk to him until tomorrow (Friday) for further answers. I really appreciate all the help and info.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JRB,

I owned my 94 RT for several years before buying my 97 GTS. Where is this car located? Please feel free to contact me privately as I would be happy to help.......Kurt

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I also had a 94.. Head gaskets, head gaskets, head gaskets. Look for weaping on the heads (coolant stains) that's a indicator you'll have to replace the head gaskets.

Look at the hood carefully. My 1994 had a few stress cracks. A nice sand and repaint isn't cheap.

See if it's an early 1994 or late 1994. Late '94 had some upgrades. I"m not too sure to be specific. I think one of them was an "oh $hit" handle on the passeger side door handle area.

Put the car in reverse and forward a few times with some rolling eaction in each and see if there is a loud "cluck" coming from the rear end. Easity fixed, but worth mentioning.

Make sure the soft top fits right. My bet is it's warped, most get warped if stored incorrectly very easily.

Of course do the obvious, tires, brake fluid, coolant level, do rims have curb rash?, ..

Other than that, good luck

Gerald

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Head Gaskets! The original gaskets WILL leak eventually. Make sure the new style gaskets have been installed. Otherwise, take about $1,800 off the asking price because that is what it will cost you to get it fixed. By the way, most older Vipers start showing head gasket leaks around the 20,000 mile mark. Other than the gasket problem the car is extremely trouble-free. Unexpected expenses tend to be minimal with this car. Good luck.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look for dings on the rims, exhaust outlets, easy to do on the Viper, especially on right hand turns, hit curbs, ding wheels and or exhaust. If you get the serial number from the owner, you can go to a good local Dodge dealership, and they can run the records up for you on the car to see if it has had proper maintenance, etc, service records, etc. The dealership will be glad to do this for you, especially if they have a Viper Tech on board, because you will probably take the car there for service! It doesn't hurt if you know somebody at a Dodge dealership either, as they can run the numbers on it for you. Get it up on a lift at the Dodge dealership (don't go somewhere else as they may not know how to properly lif the car, so an under car inspection can be made.) Check the underside of the heads with a strong shop light to see if there are coolant tracks or oil drips. Check the tranny for leaks and the rear end too. A Viper Tech will look for all these things, and more.
Does the car have any warranty left on it? Or can one be obtained? (Dodge Dealer can answer this one for you). How do the tires look, still have a lot of tread left (tires are expensive for this car), about 1200 bucks and up for a set of 4, and fronts are smaller than rear, so rears are more expensive.
Don't let all this scare you, if you find a good car, you will truly enjoy its performance, it will continue to surprise you with its power and torque! Vipers are amazing cars!

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to parrot what Roland said. I too have a '94 and recently learned that the head gaskets are leaking (25K miles). Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty from DC and the Arrow rebuild will cost me only $100.

If the car does have an extended warranty it can add significant value to it. If not, check into vendors of such warranties because it can be worth its weight in gold.

Road rash on the wheels or side pipes certainly will give you some evidence of the previous driver's level of expertise.

Don Hiltz

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Other than all the other stuff mentioned in the previous posts (head gaskets, fluids, collision damage, tires, etc.), you may want to get a carfax report. Or you can simply call a good Viper dealership and tech. like Northwest Dodge in Houston and talk to Carlos. He can probably run the VIN for you and let you know what has been done to the car (maintenance wise)and maybe even give you his opinion (buy vs. don't buy). A car thats had the head gaskets replaced or an Arrow rebuild will save you a bunch of heartache (and headaches) in the future. Wouldn't want to start off with your car ******* at the dealer.

Make sure it has the Top Pad Assembly and all of the hardware. It's a must for using the soft top and the car looks pretty crappy without it (wouldn't want to show up at a Viper function like this). Check the condition of the side curtains/side windows. These parts at some point in time are absolutely necessary and are very expensive. A warranty is a must. The labor rate for these cars alone is approximately $80 an hour in addition to parts.

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 weeped and now has a new Arrow rebuild. Low mileage car at 2300 mi. Garaged and just plain rarely driven. I drove it to 9k miles before the rebuild.

My uncle has a 94 with 40k miles on it. Not a bit of head gasket problems. In the end it is a random event kind of thing. Just beware of the issue. Possibly get the gaskets replaced now.

My bet is that a 94 with a rebuild is worth more than one without because of this issue. (This problem is with all GenI engines.)

Good Luck

Ron

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sport Bar Pad
Covers the Front of the sport bar whaen you remove the top, silly little $900 trim piece.
(What burned me)

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to check for head gasket leaks,as well as clutch slave cylinder leaks. Look carefully at the hood for possible cracking. Will look like razor knife slices, and is very common on '94 and earlier Vipers. Check for side sill/rivet corrosion.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I suggest moving everything as well. Make sure the seats move properly, the handles and knobs all work. The trunk, the hood, the doors ect... I once discovered an undisclosed wreck by pulling the pass seat forward all the way up and finding a pile of evidence (read: shattered glass) there on the floor. Simple things really, but you never know.

OP
OP
J

JRB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a great family you guys are! I have checked with a dealer and run the VIN, so I found out what was done under warranty. I ran it with CARFAX.COM and found I will be the fourth owner. I am now calling the first two to find out what they can tell me about the car. I feel I know what to look for (thanks to you folks) so I am going to fly out to California with money and hope I am not disapointed! Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHat part of California? If its in Northern Cal, let me know. Maybe myself or other Viperholics here can lend a hand...

Tomer
96 RT/10

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A/C is a must have, especially if you ever put a roof on, be
careful to check I've seen a viper with the a/c markings on the controls but the unit under the hood was missing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950