Tuners, HELP!!!!

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I just convinced myself to send my car off for some more HP! What I need to know is brands, sizes, any do's and dont's...

This is what I want done(94 Gen I)-

1) port and polish cylinder heads

2) port match the intake

3) roller rockers

4) pushrods

5) valves and springs

6) lifters

Is there anything I'm missing or is this the right combo?

Someone said something about a rear airbox with 3" carbon fiber outlets?

Any help is appreciated!-Thanks!

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats alot of labor in the port work... apparently, you have to cut the intake manifold to do the work, then weld back together.

Are you talking about the conical filters? Bad idea... from my hotrod days, putting conical filters in the direct path of the hot radiator air does nothing but heat soak the air charge, actualy LOOSING HP. You want cold, low pressure air from below the car. Keep the stock air box, but make sure you get a good set of tubes and K&N/S&B filters.

i'd personaly spend the money to do the following:
T&D rockers w/ pushrods
3.45 gear
HD shafts
Kevlar clutch
Aluminum flywheel
Headers
3" exhaust
good set of intake tubes and filters, stock box
kumho V700's all around (for those good street hole-shots)

You'd probably spend 8K in the setup you mentioned, most of it labor.

MM

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MadMaxx- I already have full exhaust, Vec 1, smooth tubes, filters, and aluminum flywheel. I want some more hp and there's a tuner close to me that I think will do the work for around $5,000 labor and parts. And no, I don't want conical filters. I just need to know if any pushrod, lifters, etc. will do the job and with that setup, if it is the right setup for power. Should I leave something alone or add something else with that setup.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pushrods and lifters are cheap insurance, if your getting all that air flow, why not a cam swap?

What flow#'s are the estimating? Shave 'em while your at it, might as well get all the comp out of the motor as you can
wink.gif

MM

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
conical filters loosing Hp?? Not hardly, maybe on a dyno where you are setting still and the engine heat stays under hood. But on the road its been proven the filters are better.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm, taking in hot air is never good. You get no increased airflow on a gen1 by removing the box, all your doing is loosing that good water protection and sucking from the engine bay ambient air.

MM

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anthony - 98 GTS:
If you are going to do all that work breaking down the engine I would change the cam to take advantage of all the head work.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

Everything on your list is a definate DO!

You might want to consider a cam swap while you are at it.

Please feel free to call me at (407) 359-2223 for information and pricing for what you are wanting to do.

Good luck with your search,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

Everything on your list is a definate DO!

You might want to consider a cam swap while you are at it.

Please feel free to call me at (407) 359-2223 for information and pricing for what you are wanting to do.

Good luck with your search,

Tom

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Tom! I've talked to you awhile back about this, the problem is shipping. Shipping my car that far is going to run close to $2500.

I thought about a cam, too, but won't that run me alot more money? They have to pull the motor out, don't they? And does anyone know what parts and labor would run for a cam?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

The cam change is least expensive when you are doing headwork as the heads have to come off in order to change the cam. The engine does NOT have to come out to swap cams. A cam and lifters costs around $ 800 + gaskets and labor when we are doing headwork.

We are having a sale on Stage 2 Cylinder heads which may offset some of the cost of shipping your car to us.

Again, good luck in your search.

Tom

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt: Check your private messages. I'm in the process of doing
the same mods to my 93. Maybe I can help.