Thinking of buying a Viper, looking for online buying resources

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm looking for a new, or near new, Blue 2001 GTS. I've asked Buhler and they're looking but my local dealer here in NW Florida is telling me there are none available. He wants to sell me my second color choice..red a 2002 GTS...asking 78,500..seems a little steep.

I was going to wait for the SRT-10 but I admit I'm hooked on the current GTS styling and after driving a 2001 ACR I'm really hooked...but I thought the ACR was a little harsh for a near daily driver. Any thoughts on the local dealers GTS price appreciated.

Thanks

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$78,500 for a GTS is VERY steep, unless he is including all of your sales tax, etc. My suggestion (for both of you) is to check the Viper classifieds to see what is out there, as well as check with some of the more reputable dealers out there. I will be the first (in this thread) and not the last to suggest you call Bill Pemberton at (800) 889-1893. He is at Woodhouse Dodge, one of the strongest VCA supporters and the choice for MANY Viper buyers from coast-to-coast. Bill can tell you the ups and downs of any model year, and can also locate a blue 2001 for you in a matter of minutes and for a heck of a lot less than $78K! Best of all, they will deliver your Viper to your front door in an enclosed trailer. You will find many owners here that did just that, from New York to Florida to California and all points in between. I don't mean to make this a Woodhouse plug, but you need to ask around to other dealers besides just one. Woodhouse is certainly one of the most reputable.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Chris

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Some Answers:

1) GTS vs. RT/10 - one of the nice things about my 308 GTB over the GTS is that the chasis is more rigid. The flex associated with the Ferrari GTS is something I avoided. Is the same true for the GTS vs. RT/10? Does the hard top keep the RT/10 rigid under load? Can you tell a difference in handling? And does the hardtop leak in the rain?

GTS definitely more solid.

2) I'm looking at a used model, so any years to avoid?

No real problems have presented themselves on the GEN 2 Snakes ('96+ Coupes, '97+ RT's).

3) I've always heard that Vipers can be a challenge to drive. How accurate is this?

Challenging? Not really, actually quite refined compared to some other supercars. Powerful? Absolutely!

Will me or my wife ever call on the insurance gods in the rain or snow?

The Viper was built to be a street legal race car. The HUGE Michellin tires equate to great traction in dry conditions, and moderate effectiveness for rain. The Pilot Sports that clad our latest models (1999-2002) seem to have a bit more wet weather capability. Absolutely horrendous in Snow and shouldn't really be considered appropriate transportation in snow conditions.

The real issue is the unbelievable amount of torque at the wheels at all times. When wet roads exist, an experienced Viper owner won't have any problems at all. A novice will have lots of fun spinning!

Or do most Vipers avoid poor weather conditions?

I would have to say they don't avoid poor weather, but my experience says that most have alternate transportation for those miserable days for more than one reason:

A) Why dirty the car if it can be avoided (sounds silly, but logical...since we're all crazy about our Vipers)

B) Why not use transportation that is most suitable for lousy weather conditions.

4) Extended warranties - are they worth it for Vipers? If I go for a model with a warranty, that will certainly affect the year selection.

Yes, great insurance to limit your expenses through the years. I understand extended warranties can be purchased for "out of basic coverage" Vipers as well as those that still have an existing contract.

5) How easy is it to do some of the maintenance yourself? My 308 is incredibly easy to work on.

Very little maintenance is necessary, and all can be performed in your garage if that's what you enjoy.

6) One of the pains associated with Ferraris is the need for a expensive timing belt job every 15000 miles or so. On a 348 or TR you need to drop the engine to replace a $20 belt. Do Vipers use a chain or belt?

NO belt, NO overhead cam

7) Any other routine maintenance items that need to be budgeted?

Oil changes at a dealership can run around $100 or so, lots of quarts of Mobil1 are involved, and a true Viper service center will do some additional inspections as well.

That's about it!

Any other useful info would be appreciated.

You'll never look back! Just do it!

Thanks, James

[/B][/QUOTE]

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want pure roadster fun, gen1 is your ticket. For Under 40K you can have a VERY nice gen1. Only thing to worry about mechanic wise is the head gaskets.

If you plan to drive alot and don't like open air, then a gen2 coupe is right up your alley.

Oh, and these are even easier to work on than your 308! These are 2v Pushrod motors... nearly unbreakable timing chain. No fuss, no muss... just 500lbs tq at your disposal
wink.gif

MM

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
M U2

Give me a call if you are looking for a 2001 GTS as I have one with only 400 miles that is priced RIGHT.

Tom
(407) 359-2223
(407) 617-6820