Engine Question

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does one of the engines have 4 stripes and one have 3 stripes? I've looked at gen 1 and gen 2 engines and they all seem to have 3 stripes. I have a hunch that the 4 striped engine is a concept car but I'm not sure.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOPE

Dodge gave the "rib" to GM to built the C5 vette
BURNOUT.gif

Reaction score
Your paint scheme indicates a '96 or '97 but, the engine compartment (intake plenum and AC plenum) shows you have a pre '94. Very nice color.

'93 model year Vipers and under (some early '94s) had that style plenum. Dodge switched to the three row thereafter. It's a good plenum with a nice flow volume, but I can't recall if it was made out of magnesium or aluminum?
It's been a while so somebody can correct me on this one.

Regards,
Doug

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The switch from 4 ribs to 3 occurred in December of 1993 or January of 1994. (I own 1994 #598 made in November 1993 and it has the 4 ribs). The 4-rib version is Magnesium. The 3-rib version if Aluminum. Not 100% sure why the switch was made but Aluminum is lighter and cheaper.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkusReinhardt:
NOPE

Dodge gave the "rib" to GM to built the C5 vette
BURNOUT.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
laughing2[1].gif
laugh.gif
Oh man that was good!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a mid-late? 1994 #2485 that has the four rib.

Interesting, there is a hand-etched serial number on the back face of the passenger side plenum. It's not the VIN, but a 5-digit number (that I didn't write down.) Anybody know what this is?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer? '92, '93 and part of '94 have the magnesium 4 rib design. They were lighter, but more expensive and prone to leaks. I think they look better than the 3-rib designs. The car in the top photo is most likely the GTS prototype, still sporting a Gen1 engine (twin throttle cables, center alternator, etc.) Notice the NACA duct partially visible on the right.

Tom, what's your MDH? (on the door near the latch) I think they started the changeover spring of '94.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies to historians and engineers everywhere, for I cannot count. My '94 is VIN 102485 and has a build date 10 May 94, but has a three rib manifold. I suppose I was blinded by rib envy.

But the manifold does has a "hand" etching :

SN 2159

On the rear manifold runner, closer to the passenger side. Since it does not match the VIN, anybody know what this might mean?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456