Cruising RPM

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its actually a very good question. On the highway I almost never use 6th gear at 70 mph. It hits that resonant frequency and is quite annoying. I usually leave it in 4th.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to keep my rpm as low as possible, until the right moment of course. I go into 5th and 6th all the time. The motor spinning at 1800 rpm is 33% less wear then at 2700.

Just trying to save the motor for as long as possible.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Chuck. On 55 to 65 MPH Interstates, I'm usually in 5th or 6th. Even in 6th, turning 1,500 RPM there's enough to make a quick pass (quick - not impressive
supergrin.gif
). On "driving roads" I prefer 4th, which gives you instant lift-off. 6th gear is nice to cruise - I find it makes me relax and actually listen to whatever music I have on. (The car is so intense/enjoyable to drive that I sometimes forget that the CD I just took 5 hours to compile and burn is already past the 10th track!).

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As LOW as possible!! Nothing like a cool running car and just knowing I can slap it into 2nd or 3rd and take off like a rocket if need be..

Gerald

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that putting it into 6th whenever I am on the freeway helps me to drive more responsibly, at least as long as I can resist down-shifting. Kind of like my own, self-imposed nanny control. For some reason, I have a hard time taking 15 seconds to pass another vehicle when I know it can be done in 3. Plus I don't mind getting more than 150 miles out of a tank of gas on occasion.

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck and Gerald. Assume an average engine has a total of 2.4 million revolutions of the crankshaft before the internal parts begin to exhibit fatigue/failure. Therefore it is intuitively clear that the higher the RPM's, the quicker the engine will wear out.

Besides, the Viper engine has so much torque that it seldoms lugs. Keep the lower gears in reserve.

Mine turns only 1500 RPM's at 80 mph in 6th. Why should I use 5th when it will require another 600 RPM's? While the sound may be better, you're wasting fuel and engine life.

Don Hiltz

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3500 in 3rd @65
smile.gif

Once I get tired of that sweeeeeet V10 sound, I'll stick it in 5th and the other drivers give a sigh of relef.

MM

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
it's so hard to not keep the power "right there" for when you just want to punch it...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Downshift that sucka Jon!!! That's what makes manuals so much more fun than automatics. <FONT size="-3">just make sure you hit third and not first. </FONT s>