Advice for dealing w/ adjusters?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The adjuster will be looking at my viper today or tomorrow while it's at the techs shop.

Anything I need to watch out for to keep from getting low-balled? She said that anything over 2 years old they can use salvaged or used parts... No friggin way.

Tips? I don't want to get one of these "oh, we'll do it for 900$" bondo job crap.

MM

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHO is the insurance company? Did you call the body shop I recommended? I would let them handle it - again - they are on the preferred list for most insurance companies, so their recommendation will be used as the claim NOT the adjusters. Bring the car up.... THEY will deal with the insurance company.

Also, they may say they can use used parts, but the fact is you are entitled to be brought back to "whole" so if your car did not have any repaired body panels BEFORE, you shouldn't have any after. The body shop I recommended only uses factory replacement parts - they are good to have in your corner. (Besides, do you really think there is a good source for used viper parts that the average body shop will be able to get / find? My bet is that they'd stay away from that because of the potential future headaches.) By the way - retail price for a Viper hood just went up to about $18K....

Ah heck, here's the body shop info for anyone on the east coast needed a great body shop:

Kenny Hawkins Automotive
Kenny Hawkins - Owner, Viper Club Member
Kenny Hawkins Automotive
(Owns THREE Vipers - he's one upped Chuck!!)
Phone 919.851.0242
Paint and repairs guaranteed for life.

They specialize in high end auto repair and have done Vipers before....

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper tech is just looking over the mechanics, i'm going to get that body shop to look at the repairs.

I may have to fight this tooth 'n claw.

USAA is my insurance carrier.

MM

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change of plans.

They are doing all of it. I have the number of their pefered towing service (does lots of low-clearance stuff) and they will come get the car.

Now it's just scheduling time.

James

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is your insurance carrier doing the adjusting??? Are they not going to subrogate it to the company of the idiot that hit you???? I would not think that you want your insurance company processing a collision claim - that will KILL your rates... Arethey ticketing / prosecuting the other guy????

I'd hold off having my insurance company take control of this - as sometime they are not agressive in going after someone else once they start the claim (after all, they'll just raise your rates and get tehir money back threefold...) Talk to your insurance company and get them to go after the guilty party's policy - this should NOT be something you have to pay for.

*EDIT* oh, and DO NOT let your insurance company pressure you into using one of their "preferred" repair shops - you have a RIGHT to have this repaired by a shop of YOUR CHOOSING. That practice is called "steering" in the insurance / body shop business and it's marginally ethical. The insurance company IS NOT looking out for your best interest - they are looking to get the repair done as cheaply as possible... Demand to choose the repair shop! Take a deep breath and step back a minute - don't let this get away from you - you won't be happy if you do. *EDIT*

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"them" as in Kenny's shop. They will do the estimates on everything, and the repairs.

I'm on the phone w/ my insurance company now.

James

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With apologies to AllState - you're in good hands.
yesnod.gif

I am over there at least once a week - I can check progress for you at any time. Don't worry - she'll be good as new.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool.. feel free to add some extra parts while your there
smile.gif

I was thinking.. if the car needs alot of paint work, maybe now would be the time to get the flag paint job done? Hmmm...

James

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fredric @ Kenny H's said they can find the OEM rims, which will be good.

I think the windshield may need to be replaced, the biggest chip is almost though the winsheild (small, but deep).

James

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have a witness, he is the one who chased down the guy who hit me and got a tag. He's already given his statement to the police.

I may have to go to the doctor, my neck really hurts! None of this "ohh oww personaly injury claim! oww ohh owww.." crap either.. strait up, it's sore! But I think it's just muscles.

I just want the car back to the way it was if it's not damaged underneith. Ther has miles on it, but was near FLAWLESS.

James

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely agree with Janni-you don't and should not deal with the adjuster at all!!

If you are confortable with the shop doing the work, let them deal with the adjuster. I deal with them weekly. No big deal, most shops know the adjusters by name and will be able to work with them. The only concern is that if you are looking to get a "free paint job" on the whole car. They will only repair what was damaged. If you get the shop to "eat" the cost to refinish the entire car-you may be sacfricining something else in return.

The only thing I disagree with Janni about is the parts issue. The way most policys are wrote is the if the car is over 5 years old, they are entitled to repair using used or aftermarket parts. They also do not provide compensation for deprciated value due to accident. I do know that some insurace companies now are offering a "special" policy wrote for high end vehicles that would provide to depreciated value and OEM part replacement. Log onto Autobodyonline.com and do a search on the discussion forum.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More good reasons for everyone to READ THEIR POLICY before anything happens!!!!

Just dug mine out and there is nothing in there about collision repair options changing based on age of the vehicle. There is, however, a clause that says they may specify non-OEM repair parts only if the quality / fit / finish / material and warranty meets or exceeds the OEM part. Probably not an issue on the Vipers, but could be for the truck and the VW.

Again, that's why I would work with a good / reputable body shop that has good relationships with insurance companies.

Thanks Kelly and Dan for all the tips.

Maybe I am paranoid about insurance, but based on experiences I have had, it pays to stay involved, and maybe be a little bit on the offense so that the companies just don't get lazy and have the "easiest" policy pay for these things. I like to tell them when I am not at fault and that I do not expect this to impact me AT ALL financially. When Henry got hit in our old Camaro SS - we had witnesses that supported our statements and our insurance company was aggressive in pursuing the other guy - even though the police report did not assign blame. The other insurance company paid without fighting and we have low rates today because of a little up front work on our end.

As a general rule, its better to know your rights, stay calm and don't let the emotion make decisions for you or deny you the opportunity to make decisions.

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max,

Sometimes its not the insurance company its the adjuster that causes problems. Always demand OEM parts (original parts) and some sort of guarrentee for the repairs. I would even ask to see the new parts and ask EXACTLY whats being replaced when the car is stripped down. Remmeber too there will most likely be a supplement when the car is stripped for more damage. If your haveing a problem with the adjuster never talk to him directly always talk to the head supervisor or claims rep. I do this for a living I own my own body shop and repair close to 500 cars a year. If you have any questions you can email me. Good Luck!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dansauto:
The only concern is that if you are looking to get a "free paint job" on the whole car. They will only repair what was damaged. If you get the shop to "eat" the cost to refinish the entire car-you may be sacfricining something else in return.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what MM was saying is that since the car had to be repainted anyway it might be financially beneficial to have the custom work done at the same time. When I got...nudged...in a parking lot my Z28 needed a small amount of work. Since the body shop had to mix the paint anyway they agreed to paint my (then uninstalled) spoiler for an additional $50. The work was fantastic and everyone came out good in the end.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Dodge dealer backed a truck into the hood of my 94 RT while it was in for work. They said they were only responsible for the hood fix and repaint. I came to an agreement where they painted the whole car for $1k from me. I think I got a good deal. However, I also think they should have done the whole thing for no cost to me. A dealer damaging a Viper left in his care seems a little different than a regular insurance claim against a normal person who hits your car. I would have thought they would be interested in keeping me from feeling "taken". Oh well, so much for customer relations. I do think I came out ahead even paying extra. They did a great job and the car needed paint anyway.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers-I fingured that is what he meant, but being in the business, I see many people trying to squeeze me to "eat" thier deductable or fix something unreleated in order to get the job.

I agree with surfsnake-do NOT talk with the adjuster thats not going to get you anywhere but frustrated. If you know the intergrety of the shop you are dealing with, then let them designate what needs to be done. If the adjuster won't budge then talk with the claims rep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger