1996 Motor Trend Issue ?

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for the 1996 Issue of Motor Trend that has the 1996 GTS in it. It may be the one labeled "Top Speed Shootout" if I remember correctly. Does anyone have that issue that they are willing to part with? (I'll pay) Or what specific month is the issue, I can try to get a back issue from Motor Trend directly. I'd also be interested in the 1997 Top Speed Shootout issue also. Any help would be appreciated.
BURNOUT.gif

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The May 1998 issue of MT has the top speed shootout using a blue and white 1997 GTS because it was the 1997 winner, nice bl/wht pics. Why didn't they use a 1998??? just goes to prove bl/wht is the fastest color combo (sorry yellow guys!!)

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stiffler,

I have all the shootout issues from 1997 on. They are not for sale but if no one can readily provide it, when I get home I will look up the dates and post them so you can get the issues quickly from MotorTrend. If you need something for reference immediately I can make color copies of the articles and mail them to you tomorrow or fax black & whites. Let me know.

Please note that the 2000 shootout is available at MotorTrend's website.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
M/T issue of May '98 got a stock 1997 GTS up to 192.6 mph. But I recall it was a <FONT COLOR="Red">RED GTS</FONT c> w/yellow wheels and 11,000 miles on it that ran the 192.6 then sprung a coolant leak. The blue/white wasn't used for the top speed run.

Marv S. <FONT COLOR="Blue">Blue/White '97 GTS</FONT c>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
The May 1998 issue of MT has the top speed shootout using a blue and white 1997 GTS because it was the 1997 winner, nice bl/wht pics. Why didn't they use a 1998??? just goes to prove bl/wht is the fastest color combo (sorry yellow guys!!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Marv, My Bad. As the article said: The crimson missile reached 192.x right before it blew a gasket. There is one small pic of the front side of a red w gosh awful yellow wheels. The rest of the (large) pics are of a blue/wht car.
I take back my fastest comment and change it to "best looking"
smile.gif

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Blue">Absolutely</FONT c>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
"best looking"
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a book called Dodge Viper Performance Portfolio that has about 30 Viper articles from car magazines going back from 1990-1998. Great book. I don't think I see the article in there though. You may want to check E-bay as I have seen old Motor Trend magazines on the Viper for sale from time to time.

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've always heard that the car used was Chris Brown's of Denver Colorado which was blue and white. I know he was not very happy when they showed the red car in the magazine.

yuckydog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the July 1994 Motor Trend issue that's titled: "Fast, Fun, Futuristic" and "First Full Test: '96 Viper GTS Coupe!"

It's got the blue with white stripes GTS coupe on the cover (has the 92-95 wheels) as well as a Ram painted blue with white stripes (titled "V-10 Ram VTS").

Is that the issue you are looking for?

James

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
The tests were run at the Arizona ford Proving Grounds (5 mile banked oval and Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

The red 1997 GTS hit 192.6 mph and blew a water pump gasket, removing it from further testing or photos. It was described as having had 11,000 abusive journalist miles on it.

"Thanks to our pals at Chryslet P.R. Viper number 2 was delivered the next day. The problem? It was wearing mismatched tires (Michelin Pilot XGT z4 M+s front and Michelin Pilot Sx Rear) Factory spec SX tires on each corner surely would've bought the teo tenths neeeded to claim the event."

Who would have M+S tires on a Viper? I figured both cars came from the Chrysler Proving Grounds in AZ.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ufo:
I've always heard that the car used was Chris Brown's of Denver Colorado which was blue and white. I know he was not very happy when they showed the red car in the magazine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>