What does it mean when oil pressure stays at 60 instead of 40

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be smart, but it means your pressur is 60 psi. Pretty staqnge at hot idle, and I would wonder if the gauge is accurate, but nothing to worry about if th epressure is real.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote from the Viper Service Manual, 1998:
"Oil pressure should be 10 psi at idle or 45-75psi at 3,000rpm". This is with a warm engine. I'm sure anything in that range is fine and nothing to be concerned about, even if it's constantly what some have called "high". My winter car in Massachusetts was a 1969 Olds Cutlass and had 6.......yes, SIX psi at idle and about 20-25psi all the rest of the time. The car ran for 175,000 miles before I gave it away, still running fine. Now, THAT is a loose engine! Ha! Pete the ex glass guy

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will a heavier oil make "higher" oil pressure on the gauge?

If you don't change your own oil, make sure whoever does it for you puts the proper grade in...to ensure the right grade of oil is put in every time, do it yourself, or supply the oil and filter to your wherever you have it done.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">First, yes heavier weight oil will increase the pressure.

Second, the Viper oil gauge is not very accurate and obviously very slow to respond. Mine reads 50 psi hot, cold, 6,000 rpm or 700. The only time it moves is when the engine is off. I guess the pressure regulator could be that good or the gauge is that bad......</FONT f>

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should just change the gauge to have two halves, green on the left, and red on the right half. It would just say "YES" in the green, meaning you have oil pressure. On the right it could just say "NO" meaning no oil pressure!

(This is satire, and admittedly a dumb idea. There is no need to respond with well meaning admonitions)

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your oil pressure SHOULD increase after each oil change assuming you put in the same grade of oil each time. Oil gradually loses viscosity as it's run through the engine, meaning the oil you removed is lower viscosity and thus freer-flowing than that you replaced it with. Thus, the jump in oil pressure...

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Pemberton:
Kneebrasky,non-tek-nickel an-sir:

Donut no why, but seems they all run bout 55-60 psi frum 2000 on up, and bout 50-55 on down.

Hav a niz da!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang Bill! You have more of an accent than I have.

supergrin.gif

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlexRedSnake:
I just had my oil changed, but also I floored my car cold because my dad scratched it, so I left tracks infront of his house, serious.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I did that when I was in highschool. No... wait... I was never that immature.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:
Yeah, I did that when I was in highschool. No... wait... I was never that immature.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mabe because his mom has a faster car.
laugh.gif

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElDiablo Viper:
Mabe because his mom has a faster car.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best part is that he has already thanked us in advance.

Ahem... Y-O-U-'R-E W-E-L-C-O-M-E

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper