A Tire Announcement From Michelin

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin has asked me to release the following message to the Viper website. Luke has already posted about it earlier in the weekend, but I want to make sure he gets the full support of the "official" Michelin announcement.

"Want to run at the VCA VOI7 drag race, but don't want to wear out your street tires? Michelin has a limited number of 335/35ZR17 Pilot Club Slick tires for sale through the Tire Rack at the unbelievably low price of $65 each plus shipping. The tires will be shipped to the track where Michelin will mount and
balance them for free. For those of you not familiar with the Club Slick, they are essentially a street tire cured in a slick mold for improved dry adhesion. They are NOT a racing slick with ultra-sticky tread compounds; therefore, the tires will need to be spun to heat up prior to launch at the drag strip to
obtain optimum grip. If interested, contact Luke Havlick at the Tire Rack at 800-428-8355 ext 362."

As far as the tire rules go for the VCA drag event, the last time I talked to Prashant Patel, our competition manager, nothing has changed to vary the existing rules which would only permit these Club Slicks, or anything ELSE other than normal "street" tires, as legal for the Modified II, Unlimited, or Bracket classes.

More soon.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the catch?? The Kumo tire's cost $200.00 each for the rear. Are these as good?? I do know one thing about the Kumo, it hooks up unbeilevable compared to stock tires. It wears out quick. But if the Michelin only cost $65.00 plus freight, who cares. I think I'll try some of them. I wonder if they have any water chaneling, will they last 5000 miles at least? Does anyone have any answers to my many questions????

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine came Fedex today. They are totally slick except for the wear
holes. Compound seems a little hard for Drag racing and of course
the side walls are stiff like a street tire. They should be better than the street tires,but definately not as good as an
all out Drag Slick. I will say that you can't beat the price.

Now need to call John B for some rear rims.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can these tires be used in the modified I class? I was asking Luke about them on the phone, but it occured to me, since these are not a street tire, I may not be allowed to use them.

Mike

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Prashant these tires are not legal for mod1 or stock. Also, the Kumho soft dot tires, BFG drag radials, Nittos are not legal in stock or mod1. Only the stock type regular radials ie pilots or the simiiar tire in bfg and others. Prashant said he will be making a post on this (last night)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the requirement is that the tire has to be "street radial tires" then why does it have to only be one brand?! The Kumho soft dot tires should be allowed as they fall into this requirement. To say you can't use them would be bull.

Mike

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody run these things on the street, track, anywhere?

I ordered 4, figured if I don't like them, I'm gonna have four of the most kick asp coffee tables around, each precisely 335 mm off the carpet!!
smile.gif

sweetness either way I figure.

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys that is what I told Tony. I feel that it would not be fair for a stock car or a Mod I car to show up with BFG drag radials Vs Michelin Pilots. By saying brand I would think that Pirelli's, Bridgestone's, Pilots would all be fine.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Translation??

You Said
<<Guys that is what I told Tony. I feel that it would not be fair for a stock car or a Mod I car to show up with BFG drag radials Vs Michelin Pilots. By saying brand I would think that Pirelli's, Bridgestone's, Pilots would all be fine.>>>
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Your E mail to Me answering tire question and roll bar question.
<<<Yes, the track is going to let us run. Mod I will only be allowed to run stock tires,. no roll bars needed
"we are working on a special with Michelin tire we will announce soon"
Thanks
Prashant>>>>

I ordered the special deal from Michelin that you infer is an option in Mod I in your response to me. Do I send them back or are they legal??? You and Wing King have been talking about this for weeks as an alternative. NO One is going to use these Michelins for any serious Drag Racing, so we think you mean Mod I (Where you should be able to run any tire like Mod II)

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pauls keep them by all means, we are working on a special class for those that take advantage of the tire deal. BTW you can run any kind of tire in MODII which some people have choose to run with the Michelin tires.

the Kumhos are DOT street legal so are BFG Drag Radials and ET Streets both of which give you a clear advantage over most of the field in stock and MODI that's why we made the decision.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone sent me an e-mail asking what tires are legal for stock and mod 1....read above, there's your answer.No Kumho's, no BFG or Nitto drag radials.