Potential Owner w/ some questions about a Gen 1 RT/10

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good grief... it isn't even legal in this country for you to smoke tobacco and your going to get a Viper? I guess I would be worried about reaching the foot petals in your situation...
laugh.gif
Alright enough with the kidding. Honestly the Viper has an expensive "up keep" especially if you plan on using it for track use. In your situation with going to school, racing the Viper and insurance (can you imagine the insurance for a 17 year old kid on a Viper, that is a joke itself). I would wait until you get out of school and get that nice job you went to school for. I would guess your cost per year (including insurance) would be around 6K - that is just a guess.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think too many people on this forum will try to talk you out of buying a viper, you'll have to hop over to the vette forum for that arguement.
I own a 94 RT/10, and love it.
It may not be an ACR, but it's faster than most anything I've run across on the streets.
I took a guy for a ride in my car last night and he almost sh*t his pants. He owns a '00 Vette by the way.
I'm looking at selling it to this guy. He says "My car is like driving a Pinto after riding in your Viper".
Yaaa! Lots of jam and lots of noise. Gotta love it and I do.
TJ

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not settle when I bought my Gen 1. I drive it and maintain it and restore it at the same time. If I told you what I have spent in the last year. I could have bought a Gen II. For me there is no other car I would rather own. I am like that Wizard guy in NY.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to buy a gen 1. Drive it and just do minumum maintanence to keep it running. Cost is very reasonable. Figure
1500-2500 year provided there are no issues with the car. Considering tires, brakes, oil changes, etc depending on the amount of mileage you put on the car.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Yes, under $50k is a reasonable budget limit for an older GTS (check the classifieds here) but you need to keep one thing in mind; General Rule (as with Ferraris) the cheaper the Viper the less quality you're going to get. I know of a couple of GTSs for under $45k, but wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot tire iron. GenIs prices are plummeting right now and you could get a really decent one for under $40k (in fact MadMaxx would probably drive his GenIIRT to your doorstep if you had the cash ready today
smile.gif
)

Oh, and welcome to the board...

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Torrey:
I I could have bought a Gen II. For me there is no other car I would rather own. I am like that Wizard guy in NY.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff, Chuck (wizard) owns a 94!!!
smile.gif

Ron

OP
OP
S

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can EASILY find a GTS for under 50... The red GTS's generally are better deals than the blue/white since you pay more for the paint job. I have seen server really nice deals on just plain red GTS cars. Take a look at cars.com autotrader.com and ebay. See?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave