Headlights hitting hood on a newer GTS

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
This seems to be a common finding on 2001 RT/10's and GTS's in MY opinion. I have seen (and helped releign) 7 such Vipers here in the greater Indy area that were new to show room floors or just purchased by Club members (including our GTS). These cars all failed my "business card test" wherein the card FAILED to pass through the space between the medial side of the headlight glass and the hood. Some of these cars were developing "etching" in the glass as well as the potential loss of paint on the hood edges. A minor adjustment of the rubber bumpers took care of most of the problems..though one required a MINUTE change of position of the hood latches. I PERSONALLY would try a touch up on the edge (and have done so on two of our earlier Vipers) LONG BEFORE allowing or even thinking of a hood repaint...just my own opinion. Others will add more.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The smallest point between the headlight and the hood is at the inside corner of the headlight and the hood. At that point you should have at least 3-5 mils of space. You will have to adjust the hood latches up and then follow up with the bump stops to remove any hood play. There is actually clear coat on the headlight lens. I would be more worried if the clear coat has been rubbed through. This will inevitably lead to more nastiness.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is actually an easy thing to fix. Both my previous '96 GTS and my current 2000 GTS suffered this malady. I have seen it on numerous Vipers. Move the headlamp module (HM) out of the way. By removing the rubber access plug in the fender liner and the foglamp underneath the offending HM, you can reach in and loosen the nuts that retain the HM. Once loosened, simply adjust towards the outside of the car...then tighten nuts. You will need a bit of dexterity as well as sockets and wrenches. I have done this twice, and discovered this way of doing this to avoid the factory manual's instructions of removing the fascia.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would be the first I have heard of trying, but it never hurts to ask. The hood latches have a tendency to slip down over time. The harder you slam shut the hood, the faster the hood moves down towards the lens.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob...it certainly can;t hurt to ask to have this covered under warranty, but here are a couple tips. First, the headlight modules are one piece, the dealer cannot buy just the covers. Secondly, the factory manual says to remove the fascia to replace the headlamps. This is a big job that will require a good tech that wants to take the time to re-align everything correctly. (You may come up with more problems than you fix.) I have R&R'd a headlamp module without removing the fascia.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456