Reaction score
Welcome
newbie[1].gif

Let's see that beauty.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Love that color!

For the sweetest sound, put some Corsa's on it. Vroooomy sound, with little or no resonance.

I don't know how some people can drive their cars so little! I just drive mine for pleasure, no work, and after 13 months I've got 12,000 miles. At this rate, it'll have about 65-70K miles, by the time its 6 years old.

Sounds like your 96 was well taken care of....should be no worries.

One thing I hear often about garage queens, is that the fuel pump in the tank clogs up from old gas just sitting there. So if it won't start someday, you can check the fuel pressure. I think there is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail, that feeds the injectors. Put a gauge on it, and then turn the key. If there is no pressure there, the fuel pump is one of the likely suspects. A new fuel filter couldn't hurt either, if it hasn't been done recently.

You've got "the" CLASSIC GTS! The object of dreams, the substance of desire.

Enjoy!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
CONGRATS !! And, WELCOME !!! "Yes' is the answer to both of your questions...as noted in a post last week, there is at least a question about chrmming process and the weakenung of the wheel...though MY concern is the 96 wheels themselves and the possibility of cracks where the spokes join centers. The EBC Greenstuff pads are a marked imporovement for dust and squeal...but they are not a track pad. If possible, look up service records to see if ALL fluids have been changed...if not, do it ASAP.

Feel free to contact your local VCA Region...i.e VCA Ind/Ky Region, Inc. The Southern Director, Glenn, lives in Frankfort, has a 96 GTS, and has chrommed the wheels.

If you want to "yak", give me a call.

Steve Fess Sec. VCA Ind/Ky Region, Inc. 317-402-9013 or 317-431-1375

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ViperCrazy:
"HI to all" Alright let the fun begin I just bought a 96GTS 16k mile car and i'm looking foward to meeting and chatting with everyone on message board alright now to some ????? for the experts i want to chrome dip the factory wheels any unforeseen problems in doing this ????#2 what about EBC green brake pads do they work in reducing brake dust???? Oh Yeah I LOVE MY VIPER my face is sore from smiling so much.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chroming causes hydrogen embrittlement on the surface of the metal - this makes it less resistant to flexing and can cause the wheel to crack... in other words it would be weaker than it was in factory form.

Hyrdrogen embrittlement can be eliminated by baking the chromed part, but it must be done QUICKLY after the part is chromed and it must be done very carefully (at the right temperature and for the right amount of time).

For show parts (like a gas cap or A/C knobs) hydrogen embrittlement isn't an issue because they are not structural parts. But for something like your wheels, you want it done right. The older 1996 wheels are a bit weaker anyways than 1997 which are weaker still than 1998, but this is only really an issue on the track.

If you get them chromed, ask the shop about hydrogen embrittlement. If they look at you like you're crazy, go somewhere else. if they say it's not an issue, go somewhere else. if the chromers eyes light up and he starts telling you all about how he handles the problem, then you can probably trust him
smile.gif

Oh, and welcome to the board!

You know what would look nice on a blue/white GTS? highly polished then anodized clear wheels with blue anodized centercaps.

Or maybe it's just me
smile.gif

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome
newbie[1].gif

(Always wanted to post that)
supergrin.gif

Congrats on purchasing the quintessential GTS!

Look at Brunton bubbling over with information! Interesting stuff Mikey! But are later 97 wheels any different from 98 wheels other than the polishing process?
confused.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Welcome
newbie[1].gif

(Always wanted to post that)
supergrin.gif

Congrats on purchasing the quintessential GTS!

Look at Brunton bubbling over with information! Interesting stuff Mikey! But are later 97 wheels any different from 98 wheels other than the polishing process?
confused.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just 'cause I love ya Chuck!
laugh.gif

I don't know when the cutover was between the 1997 and 1998 wheels - could have been late in 97 vs. in 98. JonB - do you know?

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing like owning a viper for the first time.

Nothing like flooring it in second gear at 20MPH for the first time!

If you've never rode motorcycles, well, now you don't need to. That's what they feel like.

All hail the
newbie[1].gif
!!!

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to count to 10 before doing something stupid...Its amazing that most of us live through the first couple of months.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The highly polished '98 wheels were a vast improvement over the '96 - '97's. Incredible difference in luster... and definitely can be mistaken for chrome .... but the originals ....well ..... have a unique look.

Take note (any car show judges)... in years to come, a betcha you can deduct points if your wheels on a '96 are toooooo shiny!

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:

Just 'cause I love ya Chuck!
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright, now you are starting to scare me.
eek.gif

jester.gif

venmous

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SEASNAKE:
Don't forget to count to 10 before doing something stupid...Its amazing that most of us live through the first couple of months.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that the truth!!
As one who likes to enjoy a frothy libation from time to time, I have to constantly remind myself to "leave the keys on the rack".
This car is a trick/death trap to drive completely coherent, much less under the influence of anything.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
NEXT best thing to VOI.7 ??? COME to Viper Days at Putnam park this weekend (Fri., Sat., Sun.)...see 60-80 Vipers !!! Ind/Ky Region meeting will be there at NOON (EST) on Saturday. Guests ALWAYS welcome !!!