which is better year?

need4spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a blue and white gts. which year is preferable to have. is 96 because of being first year or 97 because of newer and i think different cam? which is worth more. any opinions or observations would be appreciated. and by the way, this would not be put on the track but something to own for a while and possibly resell. thanks, kyle

93 DLM supercharged black rt/10(will be finished soon!)

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by need4spd:
I'm considering purchasing a blue and white gts. which year is preferable to have. is 96 because of being first year or 97 because of newer and i think different cam?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmmmm ... not sure but I think the new cam was added in the 2000 model year. As far as future value is concerned, I would guess that the '96 GTS will always be deemed the "Coming of Age Viper" ... even though they screwed up the car by putting a roof on it
supergrin.gif

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
1996 was the first year of the GTS. and
More Blue/white GTS were made in 1997

who said the '97 cam was different from '96 in the GTS cars?

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the "real meal deal" on the 96's and to demonstrate I'm not giving you a "bum steer" I own a 96 GTS

Unless it has had the following warranty work done to the car - buy the 97.

1. side sills replaced with 97 version
2. alarm system replaced with 97 version
3. all door glass and window rubbers and uprights replaced with 97 version
4. Cooling fan replaced with 97 version.
5. Steering rack bracket repaired under recall
6. rear chassis inspected under recall
7. intake manifold gasket replaced
8. valve cover gasket replaced

Note 5 & 6 apply to the 97 model year if you buy that.

here are the why's
1. 96 sills have rivets that cause bubbles in the paint (corrosion)
2. alarm system will fail horribly
3. door glass rattle so bad it will drive you crazy
4. 96 fan is too small to do the job
5. & 6. Factory recall items - recall issued this year. If the car has seen a race track the car could have problems in these two areas.
7. & 8 - some 96's seem to be ok, but most, particulalry the early production had problems with these two gaskets - both of mine failed.

Resale Value - forget it - its a crapshoot - these cars are not investments in terms of making money.

Now don't get me wrong - I love my 96, have had all this work done and more and it would take a crazy offer for me to let go of it.

Suggest you stay away from a real low mileage car - probably none of this work has been done - low mileage cars not driven enough for all gaskets to stay flexible and do their job - tend to leak like a ......

Look for a car owned by VCA member, garage queen, 5k to 10k miles - immaculate - worth doing your homework - buy the wrong car and it will cost you a bundle.
You have to talk to dealers recommended on this site

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll chime in on the 97 having forged rims not cast, although a running change in 97, early 97 still have cast. Slightly higher shine to the rim than 96, and 98 still moreso.

I prefer the stripes thru the rear plate area, which was dropped in 97 due to alignment issues on the rear fascia.

Cam specs are identical from 96 to 97, the rumor mill of stronger 97 cars stems from being 2nd year build of the motor with less variance from car to car.

best of luck,

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garolittle:
..... the '96 GTS will always be deemed the "Coming of Age Viper" ... even though they screwed up the car by putting a roof on it
supergrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That comment has the potential to instigate a no holds barred flame war!

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kyle
Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the cars have had aftermarket parts such as wheel and brakes,ect added. Most of the people that belong to the VCA read and post here so they are MUCH more savy on part quality and proper install. If you know what you want you will most likley find one that is close in the classifieds with a bit of shopping. It will save you a bunch(no a ton)of money if the mods are on the car when you buy it,so know what you want and be patient. I have purchased 3 cars from the classifieds here and am convinced if you ask the right questions of the sellers you will get a great car.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't ask me how or why, but the tranmission on the 96 is better than the 97... yes that's right 96 was BETTER than 97... maybe a guru around here can comment on why.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper