Viper recall training, wow! (pic)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was presented with a nice opportunity today and wanted to share it with you guys (and gals). As you may have heard, DC is offering a more in-depth training on the Viper recall currently in effect (998 & 999) for interested Viper techs, shop foremen, and body shop personnel (welders). They were planning the KC Zone training and found they had only one thing missing: A Viper! Well, I know this guy that knows this other guy who has a cousin who owns a Viper. Okay, I happen to have one too.

You must be registered for see images

In exchange for using my car as the "demo" (it now has more grease pencil marks on the chassis than Egypt has hieroglyphics), I got to sit in on the training. Needless to say, I am getting the actual work done TOMORROW. Why? Two reasons:

1. It is a pretty darn serious recall and DC takes it that way. They are spending a boatload to do it right and "do it right" is the only way they want it done. The work is involved and they have detailed it down to the last rivet. They are well aware of the "pickiness" of many Viper owners and have gone so far as to choose materials that are not only the strongest, but also the best looking (welds, etc.). I immediately decided that not only would my car be MUCH stronger in that area, but it would look it too!

2. The training was excellent and the Viper techs very sincere in finding out every little bit about what they needed to do. The dealer that has already done the most recalls in the country made sure to send their main Viper guy as well, just to make sure he knew the latest from DC. The dealer? Starts with "Wood" and ends with "house", of course. My local dealership also sent their tech, which was very pleasing (not every dealership attended, unfortunately).

I learned that the work being done will definitely improve your car and improve the strength of the chassis. For free (to the owners). I learned that while involved, DC is making sure that the techs have access to everything they need to do it correctly. I learned that the techs really are serious about doing this right (at least those that were at the training). My car will be done tomorrow (only needs #999) and I couldn't be more pleased.

For those of you that have been putting it off, it is time to get that recall work done. You will be very glad you did!

Chris

PS. As the guys were swapping funny stories about some Viper owner eccentricities, one tech told how one owner actually wanted his original (factory) oil filter back after the first oil change. I had to blush, because I still have mine in a cabinet in my garage...
supergrin.gif

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:

PS. As the guys were swapping funny stories about some Viper owner eccentricities, one tech told how one owner actually wanted his original (factory) oil filter back after the first oil change. I had to blush, because I still have mine in a cabinet in my garage...
supergrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bounce.gif
Do you still have that gall stone too?

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh... yes. I'd rcognize Ricks sheit kickers anywhere. He demonstrated the recall to us at our last Viper clinic here in Ne. This recall is a must! Do not delay!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, I thought that this recall was limited to 1999 Vipers?

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 998 performed. It isn't limited to one year by any means. A number of years are affected. The year determines which recall is performed. Sorry I don't have specifics but a search should reveal them.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt;&gt;&gt;It is a pretty darn serious recall and DC takes it that way&lt;&lt;&lt;

We, the Viper owners in Germany, have NOT received the recall so far. Yesterday, my DC dealer told me DC "has a plan" to start the recall in the next few months (winter!) ...
crying.gif

I wonder how all the Viper owners will bring the cars to the "repair centers" (2 for Germany only!). DC expects to have each Viper for 5-6 working days.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SRT10:
Chris, I thought that this recall was limited to 1999 Vipers?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember, there are actually two recalls:

Recall #998 applies to cars built between 1996 and March 1 1999 (MDH 030110). This is for both the steering gear crossmember and the differential frame bracket. Both include inspections of possible cracks in the factory welds. If no cracks are detected, a reinforcement kit is provided in both instances. If cracks are detected on the rear differential bracket, a more involved procedure is required, including the removal of the fuel tank. This recall involves approximately 4738 cars.

Recall #999 applies to cars built between March 1, 1999 and October 2, 2000 (MDH 030111 to MDH 102XX). This is for only the steering gear crossmember. Once again, it includes inspection for possible cracks in the factory welds. If there are no cracks, a reinforcement kit is installed. If cracks are found, a new crossmember is installed, along with the reinforcement kit. This recall involves approximately 2200 cars.

Most of the cars where cracks are found are track cars. Generally speaking, a street car (or garage queen) will only need the reinforcements installed. This is NOT something you want to screw around with. As your car gets older, you want to prevent any potential cracks from developing. This recall is designed to do just that. Also consider that even if you own a garage queen, you may choose to sell it someday to a person that plans to use it at the track. It is better for everybody if you make sure the recall work is already taken care of.

As to the time involved, I don't know exactly how much time it takes. It appears that even with a worse-case scenario, your car shouldn't be in more than three days at most. Of course, that doesn't account for how busy the dealership is or anything else of that nature. If your Viper tech has to work on four other cars at the same time, there is no telling how long it will take to complete your car.

One final tidbit to let you know how much DC wants to please the Viper owner - this is right from the recall: "To enhance customer satisfaction, remember to record all radio settings before disconnecting the battery and to reset all electronic memory (clock, radio settings, etc.) when you have completed the service procedure." I know I never got that from GM or Ford when they had to disconnect a battery. Nice touch!

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave