Is Mobile One 15W50 OK in a Viper?

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK,

So I'm a *****! I'm used to changing the oil in my 911 Turbo, and I always use 15W50 Synthetic Mobile One. Not thinking, I used the same in my Viper. The manual says to use 10W-30. Do I need to drain this and replace my 15W-50 with 10W-30 or am I OK?

Any opinions???

Thanks!
Paul

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the recommendation of our local Viper Tech, I put 15W50 in my 96 GTS. He believes it is better for cars that are run on both street and track.

You will notice a definate increase in Oil pressure, however the lifters will rattle a few second longer on cold startup.

We run our cars at a couple of tracks that risk loss of oil pressure due to the extreme g forces we can pull, so I installed an Acusump - Turning this thing on for cold startup eliminates completely the lifter rattle at cold startup.

hope this puts your mind at ease.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Not a problem for anything short of extreme winter use. I also put it in for Viper Day's use, but will revert to 10W-30 M1 after VOI.</FONT f>

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use it for track events. I do my April change with 15W50 and use it for changes all through the summer. I do my November change and subsequent winter changes with 10W30.

OP
OP
E

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions! I guess I'll leave in in there until it gets below 32 def F. (Not Likely in Texas...)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An SAE 15W-XX meets low temperature requirements at -20C (the cold cranking test) and also at -25C (the low temp pumping test.) An SAW 10W-xx meets those same requirements, but at -25C and -30C, respectively. The added "protection" of a 10W-xx is only 5C lower than the 15W-xx, and a 5W-xx is only 5C lower than a 10W-xx.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As others have well stated...you'll be fine.

F.Y.I. As a former owner of several fine Porsches, I was interested to see that Panorama had an article on oils in April (?) issue that noted Mobil 1 10w-30 WAS NOT ACCEPTABLE in Porsches 1972 to present IF ambient temperature exceeded 86 degrees F....noting the new factory fill for Porsche and Mercedes is Mobil 1 0w-40 "European automobile formula" which is presently called SuperSyn.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TacDoc:
I use it for track events. I do my April change with 15W50 and use it for changes all through the summer. I do my November change and subsequent winter changes with 10W30.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto ...

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air cooled engines have different oil specs than water cooled engines. On a Viper and Vette 10W30 or 10W40 is the best grade oil to use. You don't want the oil to be too think that it wouldn't go in-between the cylinders and pistons or other gaps that the oil need to go to lubricate.

I am in CA, and I can safely assume that TX has similar weather, I used 10W30 on the Vette and it was the perfect oil for it, kept the engine lubricated very well and cool.

My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62