Does anyone know how many people will attend VOI?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called Mon and they could not register anymore people. I asked how many were sold. She said 1500. Lets see 1500 x $700 HMM thats 1,050,000. WOW I didnt know such an event would cost that much.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUSCUCLA1:
I heard they take a loss on it. How do you take a loss on 1 million + ?!!??!?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think about these costs...(this was VOI5)

1) Renting a large racetrack facility for 3 days with the full staff of people, medical crews, storage, etc. (probably $200k)
2) Gift bags (probably $100 a pop there - $150k)
3) Open bar at the dinner ($50-100 each? $100k))
4) 3-4 gourmet dinners ($200 each $300k)
5) paying for probably 50-100 Dodge people running the show for 6 days (they get there early, leave late) ($100k)
6) Subsidizing about 30% of the cost of shipping on the Vipers ($250k)
7) Transporting a whole fleet (maybe 70 cars) of concept cars, specialty vehicles, and demo vehicles for the event ($100k)
8) Paying for about 15-20 Skip Barber instructors for 3 full days + their accomodation costs, travel expenses, etc. ($50k)

That $1MM is already spent, and that isn't including all the "other" fees they incur. They spend *months* scouting our locations for VOI, and they also send at least 20-30 top execs to the event. It's really hard to comprehend the scale of this event until you attend one. It's not like any car show you've ever seen. At VOI5 the whole top 3 floors of the MGM parking garage were dedicated to attendees. At VOI6 they had a whole section of downtown St. Louis was closed and only for Viper owners only. You don't have to do anything... everything is planned out... there is always something going on and it's a 4 day whirlwind of excitement and non-stop action. It's not comparable to any car show, really.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find most of those figures hard to believe. Besides do you think dodge host this event to make money or just as a courtesy to you because you own a Viper. Wrong! Think again. There must be profit in it or they wouldn't do it! I work for one of the big three. I'm here to tell you they do nothing unless it's profitable. Take the Corvette museum for example located just across the street of the Corvette assy plant. It's filed for bankruptcy I know three times over the past few years. GM does not own it nor do they have any interest in owning it. Why? Its not profitable. They do however give donations that help keep it running.

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard that just renting the Wild Horse saloon was $220,000 not including the booze. It was the first time The Wild Horse was closed in 50 years for a private party. Believe me Chrysler did not make a penny on this invitational.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the price it cost Dodge to have all the streets and all the freeway onramps closed for alomost 2 hours while we drove by in the rain. It took 20 minutes just to get to Downtown Nashville. I kept seeing all those people on the onramps stacked up behind the cops waiting on a business day lunch hour, and I thought these people are going to end up hating all of us Viper owners. But anyway, paying for all of that must have cost quite a bit also. Don't forget, there were 3 nights that it was open bar. I went up to the bartender and asked him if I could have regular Tanqeray gin, and he said no you have to drink this "Tanqueray 10" I did, but I really like the cheaper stuff better. The whole affair is very spendy. They supplied us with breakfast lunch and dinner from Thursday night to saturday night.
I do believe that one thing is evident. You know how much bad mouthing we have all done on the new srt-10, well they showed up with a dozen of those cars in 3 different colors, and they let everyone of us drive it on the autocross course for 4 hot laps. They know that they needed to get our butts in the car and feel the difference, so that maybe we would stop bad mouthing the car. The car was awesome, but still looks to refined. Just my opinion. Also how much did they have to pay Diamond Rio to perform on Saturday night?? Plus the band at wildhorse???

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DENNIS KIMBALL:
Plus the band at wildhorse???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard through the grapevine that Wildhorse Friday cost around 220k. Anyone hear the same?

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can guarantee that my crew and I got our moneys worth in booze alone. We were like 500 pound men at a buffet! They were going to take a loss on us for sure. This argument is getting old though. I loved it as I did the last one and found it to be worth every penny and some. If you don't think so, then skip the next one too. The tight wads will not be missed.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by getbit:
I can guarantee that my crew and I got our moneys worth in booze alone.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speak for yourself Jason but I'm giving my liver a rest for sure.
wink.gif

Sam Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran a sales force of 900+ people for 8 years with many meetings and I can tell you Dodge probably spent 2 to 3 Million over what we had to pay. Renting out White Horse and Diamond Rio with the OPEN food and drink alone is expensive. Best $1,400 I ever spent!!! Thanks again D.C.