Dash Paint

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you buy dash paint for a 94 viper? I would like to repaint my glovebox door. Has anyone tried this before? If so how did it turn out. Thanks Brett

Denny Wagner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Brett.........
I just repainted the entire dash of my '94 RT/10 and it looks abosolutely gorgeous! The hardest part of the project is to properly mask the gauges, radio, etc. so that no overspray gets on them. Other than that, its a cake walk! (years ago, I was an auto painter by trade) I used a spray can of DupliColor lacquer in a platinum metallic color (sort of a medium charcoal met.) If you use laquer, and spray it on in light, even coats...you get a nice matt finish. The last thing you want is a hi gloss look. Anyway, after I masked everything off, I scuffed the surfaces with a green 3-M scuff pad. Or, you can use 320 grit sandpaper. You MUST scuff it to get the paint to adhere. Clean off the dust, and spray away. The stuff covers very well, so you only need 1 or 2 very light coats to do the job. As I said, mine looks great...very Hi-Tech if you will. Good luck with yours, Viper Bro!! Dennis

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not too hard to take the dash out. I replaced mine along with all the other dash related panels. It only takes an hour or so, probably less time than masking. If I was going to paint it I would take it out.

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, can you give details on removing the dash? I bought a '94 RT/10 3 months ago with the intent of replacing the dash.

Also, how much did you pay for the main dash piece and glove box door?

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here ya go!

13MVC-022S-med.JPG

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should get a maintenance manual for the 94 but here's the basics as I remember.
The piece that goes around the radio and shifter has some clips that hold it in place. Pry it up from around the shifter and pull it up and out. The two switches and lighter unplug with a connector. The dash itself is just a piece of plastic held in place with screws. Find them all and remove the dash. All the gauges stay in place when it comes off. The side pieces and the door handle pieces unscrew and come off. That's about it. I bought replacement pieces for the whole thing from John B at Partsrack for about $350.

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I have already had the dash apart to get the radio out. (piece of cake) The only thing that I really would like to do is to get the original texture and color just like factory if possible. I was hoping that someone made a paint that had those qualities. Also how to I get in touch with the PARTSRACK where you got your dash pieces. Thanks for all the help!! Brett

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R