Viper as a daily driver?

Poolfanatic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am looking to purchase a used GTS (98 up) or RT-10 (98 up) in the next couple of months, but had a few questions:

1) How many people use their Vipers as daily drivers? If you do what are your thoughts, impressions and recommendations?
2) What are some common problems you've experienced?

I really do appreciate the help and look forward to your responses.

Thanks!

David

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Davec on 09-27-2002 at 05:32 PM</font>

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my 01 roadster daily and my '94 before that.

My thoughts:

Bad:

A Viper ***** if you have a backache.
Vision in traffic is terrible.
If you drive the speed limit, you only get one good shift.
Maintaining a Viper is expensive compared to a normal car.

Good:
Being first at the stop light.
Cruising with the top off.
Very, very seldom seeing a car like yours on the road.
100 Mph doesn't seem like speeding anymore.

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I DRIVE MY 94 RT/10 EVERYDAY THAT IT DOES NOT RAIN. THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD TOPICS AS STATED BEFORE, BUT KNOWING THAT YOU HAVE THE ONLY ONE IN TOWN IS PRICELESS.
cool.gif

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine daily. 32000+ miles in 1 year.
supergrin.gif

Gotta be careful in the rain.
Drinks fuel, need to keep an eye on the fuel gauge.
A/C is not that great.
Very hard to drive slow or obey the speed limits.
LOTS of attention, could be exhausting when you have to deal with it everyday.
LOTS of fun to drive.
LOTS of cute ladies.
Very usable as a daily drive IMO.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I had to have only one car I could use my Viper as a daily driver. But there are days when I just want the easy laid back comfort of my Avalanche instead.

2 different worlds.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">Here are some rambling thoughts on commuting in a Viper. I like driving the Viper to work and back but it does get tiring.

The Viper ride is great for a sports car, but it can wear on you after a while. My longest day trip has been 788 miles (23 mpg @80 on western freeways) which was a little tiring, but still different than a few days back to back in commute land. I think it is worrying over half sleepy drivers with one hand on the cell phone and the other on the latte, the ride, and the fact that you end up at work anyway that makes it different. An additional problem is that you really need to be on the lookout for road hazards (limbs falling off of trees, roadkill, and so on).

My commute is only 16 miles and I hit the first light at about mile 14 so stop and go does not present a problem for me. I drive it on a tree-lined twisty two lane next to a river and it doesn't get much better than that. It seems that the ride and extra level of alertness is what causes me not to drive it every day. The longest I have ever gone is 7 days without driving it, so one recovers quickly. Usually it is driven 2-3 days a week by me and my wife drives it 1-2 days herself.

There are days where I really like piling into the plush leather of the Yukon; it feels like an overstuffed living room couch to the Vipers (very raked) kitchen chair. I get better mileage in the Viper on the same commute than I do in the Yukon (14.8 avg v. 14.4 in the truck).

At work, I have a great parking area away from others, and I can see the car from the window. No one ever bothers it, but it is good to know it is secure.

Going to the grocery store takes longer in the Viper. Seems that the more people want to chat at the store than anywhere else. If you have the time that is great, otherwise drive the stealthmobile. Also, even though I park well away from the store there are occasionally rude people. Last Saturday my wife and I came out to find a clapped out Camry 4 inches off of the nose, a good 8 spaces away from any other car. Obviously someone thought they we being funny. Since I am not always up for this kind of humor, driving something else to the store is often the case.

Also one last thing to consider is that if you are driving to a new place, more attention is needed. Manhole covers, driveway ramps, road construction, the ominous orange BUMP sign, speed bumps, and all other form of ground level intrusions really take attention. Add that to the uncertainty of not knowing where you are going, normal traffic, and people hanging out the window yelling and cheering the car requires some extra attention.

Just depends on the mood and destination I guess. All in all, drive it if you want, but I am glad that I have choices based upon what I am up to.

Good luck with your Viper hunt. The car is fantastic to drive, is a great piece of artwork, and does draw some attention too. (tongue is in the cheek!)
</FONT c>

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got my Viper, I had planned on drivng to work to every other day, splitting the commute with my other car.
But I'm still smitten with this car, and there isn't a day that I don't drive it. I have a short commute, but many times after work I take the Viper out for a drive just to be in the car some more. Top off driving on twisty mountain roads is an extra treat!

The ride is not plush, but not too harsh (even though I lowered mine 5/8"), but I wouldn't want to commute anything like 400 miles a day as it would probably wear on you. It's no Rolls Royce, but I wouldn't trade the taut feel for a plush wallowing ride.

You need to watch the speed in the Viper. Only the first third of the speedo dial is legal. And you can be just driving normally and look down and see 100MPH, thinking that you were going around 75MPH.

I cover the car at work to keep the dust off, AND so my boss and coworkers don't think that I get paid too much, and have me fired.

It's hard to judge where the sides and nose of the car is, and it takes a while to get a feel of proper distance so you don't scrape the front fascia on parking stops/curbs. Speed bumps are best taken slowly, and steep driveways entered and left diagonally.

With the R/T10, the hardtop is not easy (but it is possible) to put on and take off by yourself. Still, for me I would only own the Viper in roadster form.

Good or bad, you are an instant celebrity in the Viper.
Funny, I don't get the comment "Oh my god! Look..look! it's a Honda!" comment when I drive my wife's car.

-Dean.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 3 other cars that I was supposed to use as a Daily Driver only to go back to driving the Viper every morning.

Once you get used to it, it can be like driving a regular car only a little rougher and a great deal more torque.

The attention factor is sometimes a problem, but in contrast to the Black Porsche TT I had, the Viper gets overwhelming positive responses from people.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vreracing:
I've had 3 other cars that I was supposed to use as a Daily Driver only to go back to driving the Viper every morning.

Once you get used to it, it can be like driving a regular car only a little rougher and a great deal more torque.

The attention factor is sometimes a problem, but in contrast to the Black Porsche TT I had, the Viper gets overwhelming positive responses from people.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in a similar situation. Hence the 17k on my 2000 already. And it snows a lot here! Anyway, I've had amazingly nice and positive response to the Viper unlike any other expensive cars I own. I don't know if it's because its an American car or what, but it really is a great experience.
Too bad it's only 2 miles to work for me. I keep finding myself taking "the long" way around the city, just 'cause.

Lou

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I *was* driving my RT to work every day (a mighty 3 mile blast down the highway... oh well) but now I drive it on fridays, or exceptionaly nice days (been all rain lately).

They are kinda a pain in traffic, and take concentration in rain (I get bugged by the water dripping on my legs more than anything).
A RT/10 w/ it's hardtop on is a pain to see stoplights out of... especialy since that mirror is low on the windsheild (ugg).

I love driving my car.. expecialy with the top off in the cool mornings. Makes the day go faster when you know you can hop in an asp when the day is done.

I think a coupe would be a bit more hospitable for daily driver duety.

MM

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Davec:
Am looking to purchase a used GTS (98 up) or RT-10 (98 up) in the next couple of months, but had a few questions:

1) How many people use their Vipers as daily drivers? If you do what are your thoughts, impressions and recommendations?
2) What are some common problems you've experienced?

I really do appreciate the help and look forward to your responses.

Thanks!

David
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I drove my 98 GTS daily. It was my main car for 2 years. The downsides are...

1) This car is LOW. If you have to go over a speed bump or a pothole, you will scrape

2) This car TRACKS THE ROAD. You CANNOT let up your grip on the wheel. My BMW I can use one finger on the bottom of the wheel to keep it straight, but the Viper requires constant adjustments in steering to stay straight. Sometimes I would hit rain grooves and it would leap about a foot to one side. It requires concentration and it gets very tiring after a while.

3) You won't feel comfortable parking it anywhere... I never was.

4) It's an expensive car to own/operate. Lots of gas bills, maintenance bills, tire bills, etc.

5) Not an easy car to drive in traffic - especially when you are in bumper-bumper and you think everyone is going to nudge your car

6) Not nearly as comfortable as most cars... but very much so for a sports car

7) Vipers decpreciate *heavily* as the miles go up!

8) The car is loud. I removed my rear muffler and put a straight pipe in. It was hard for people to hear me on the cell phone.

I guess my advice after owning my car for so long would be... if you're going to put a bunch of miles on it, why not make them fun weekend miles as opposed to "just got out of work and I just want to get home" miles.

You can drive a Viper every day... but I did and I would rather not, in retrospect. I love getting out of work after a long stressful day and melting into the seats of my BMW and enjoying a QUIET, comfortable ride home and I like my navigation and my 6-way power seats and my 8-speaker stereo and my feather soft clutch and brake pedals, and my "practically drives itself" handling.

In TX, a stock Viper on smooth roads might be alot different. My friends 2000 GTS was MUCH smoother than my 1998 was - I had a rock hard clutch and gas pedal, his was buttery smooth.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

You should have prefaced your points with:

You know that you are getting old when you are bothered by...

wink.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snakester:
Mike,

You should have prefaced your points with:

You know that you are getting old when you are bothered by...

wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BASTAGE!!!!
supergrin.gif

laugh.gif

Dammit now you made me realize I *am* getting old.
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456