Interior light stays on.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not been my week! I went to start the car this morning to bring it to the shop to balance my drive line and the battery was dead. The interior light is staying on.

Can anyone tell me before I open up the doors, etc. where the sensors are for your open door contacts? It appears as though maybe one of the door sensors died or fell off because closing the doors doesn't shut off the light anymore.

Any other common possibilities?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This used to happen to me on my GenI. Problem was the interior light was switched on. I know it sounds dumb, but make sure it's switched off.

Gerald

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
This used to happen to me on my GenI. Problem was the interior light was switched on. I know it sounds dumb, but make sure it's switched off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, happened to me in my GenII...I had poured over my service manual for two hours trying to figure it out...two hours later, I reached in and flipped the switch...light went out...Felt like a complete ****!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Gerald said.

Related to what Matt said, if the light turns out not to be switched on and it still stays on with the doors closed there is a simple fix you can do. Fords are notorious for having the door/light sensors ending up stuck "on". I had this problem on my 4x4. What I learned was that you can spray some WD-40 onto the latch sensor via the latch and it will clean it up and get it working again. It worked.

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'll try the WD-40. I did try turning the light off. It stays on in both positions. I unplugged it by the mirror for now but hopefully can loosen the contacts with the spray.

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jay, still haven't solved it but I did check the headlight knob too. All suggestions point to the door latch at this point. Get the car back from the shop tomorrow so I'll see if that is it.

SNAKOIL VA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 93 does the same thing everyone else described. I put the switch on the mirror in-between ON and OFF (middle position, if you will) It stayed there and eventually, whatever casued the light to stay on fixed itself.