Low profile jacks - where?

Jack

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw the thread a couple of weeks ago about costco, but there are no Costco stores in Colorado. Griots has a low profile jack for $389 -typical of most things they sell, seem to be about 30 to 50% higher than anyplace else. I've looked at Sears & Harbor Freight stores, but no luck. Thanks in advance.

Jack Janney

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Bad Byte, just bought mine from Harbor Freight Tools on Friday. $199 and it is very light weight.
-Jonathan

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the Harbor freight jack fit under the front of the car without ramps?

I've had mixed resuts at harbor freight. How do you rate the quality of the jack? Where is it made?

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it fits under my 94 just fine with NO ramps what so ever. Fits right under the jack point in both the front and rear. It also fits under the rear frame where you would normally jack up both rear tires. I haven't tried but I'm about 99% sure it won't fit under the front cross member to jack up both front tires without using ramps.

As far as quality, it seems very well made but then I'm certainly no racing jack quality assurance inspector. Passing the test of time will tell about quality.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight jack will fit...but BE CAREFUL...Our local store had them "in the back, not on display" and "there were only two left"...I asked to see it, and after considerable shuffling with various "helpers" giving an assortment of answers, the manager asked for one to be brought to the front. I opened the box where the clear tape sealed same, ( a somewhat hap-hazzard job in my opinion), and examined the jack. It looked "OK" to me in terms of finish, gross number of parts, and had the manual with it. STUPID ME did not assemble the jack and test it at the store !!!

When I did put the handle on it and tried to pump it, nothing happened. I RETIGHTENED the handle, tried it again, and still nothing. I tried the recommended air purge move, topped up the fluid (which was low), and tried it again...it MOVED, but pad fell back down with each pump...as if the clockwise rotatation of the handle had NOT closed the valve. So, in one LAST attempt (for science !!!), I got a rag to use for traction, gripped the handle full force with both hands, and twisted it a little more, and the jack WORKED...though it did not release without similar effort...NOT ACCEPTABLE !!!

I called the manager, only to find out that they were totally out, but he assured me that he would help by offering to refund my money or try to get one shipprd it from another store EARLY this week. Since I have to make a 50 mile round trip , I did ask him to test the new one BEFORE calling. I should also say that the manager ASSURED me that the jack I purchased was NOT a faulty returned item that might have "accidently" gotten back on the retail shelf, as I had politely suggested (after reexamining the tape job on the box).

The jack has the name "U S General" on it and is made in China.

Hopefully, they'll have another one by today, as a close friend bought one from Harbor Freight and loves it.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sears recently added a low-profile jack for $219.99 to their catalog (3 3/4 in.). It is currently an order 'only' item and not in stores. ITEM# 9-50238 (2 1/2 Ton Low-Profile Jack)

NOTE: Sears.com did not list the item, but our local Sears does.

I was told it could take up to 90 days to deliver and so I opted for a less expensive pro-lift jack and a set of homemade ramps out of 2x10's.

Have a great week Jack Janney!

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Bad_Byte and Jonathan said.
Got my harbor freight jack in Friday and it works beautifully.
At 37 lbs and $200 everyone ought to own one.
Eric

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one of the Harbor Freight jacks and I'm pleased with it. I made my own head to fit into the factory jack point and it works great.
BURNOUT.gif

Charlie

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I DO remain hopeful...in fact, the store Mgr. just called to say that they have located a replacement jack that is coming in tomorrow...have to give the guy CREDIT for his help !!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight had a replacement jack shipped in today. The manager (Thane) could not have been nicer. We went to the rear of the store, unpacked and assembled the new jack, purged air and topped up the fluid. Then the test...It worked PERFECTLY, was easy to control and was surprisingly smooth. Sadle is 3.5 inches and it extends to 17.5 inches. At $199.00...it works for ME. Once again, I have to thank Thane for his kind help and SWIFT action !!!

P.S. they hope to get another load of these jacks SOON...call 317-788-7970 if you are interested.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Harbor f jack is at 3.5" but how far under the car will it go. the 3.5" raises to 5" about 6" back on the side correct? My Viper sits low and has side splitters. I need the 3.5" to push under the car around 8 to 10". If the side of the jack goes up to 5" high it will not go under the car enough to work.

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jack,
what I like about the Griot's Garage floor jack is that it'll clear very very low cars. My ACR came a bit lower from the factory, and even with a rubber pad this jack scoots in without a problem. If you remove the saddle, this jack can scoot under stuff with just 1.75" of clearance. If one of my tires goes flat, this jack won't have a clearance problem. It even gets under things that scissors jacks can't. I've even used mine to split apart pallets. Still -- I agree that it is expensive.

-David

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I see your point, Rohn...noting, that like David, I also have a Griot's super-long-and-low-big-old-red-jack...which is a little big and heavy for tossing in the trunk of a car. With your setup, sounds like you might want to look at the Snake-oyl Viper jack if you have not already done so.