3.33 gears vs. 3.55 gears, Gen I Vipers???

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Go with 3.73 gears in a mostly stock Gen 1 car...It pulls as good as a stock gts from 20 to 110 guaranteed. I have done it many times. Forget the top end, leave that to the GTSs. For the street the 3.73s cant be beat...AL...00PROWLER...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your interested in the 3.73's, I have a 'still in the box - new' Mopar Performance Differential. Same unit as one pictured below. Keep you old unit, or sell. This is the best way to go.... $1,500 OBO. Let me know.

email - [email protected]

P.S. - I believe you can use your existing differential cover, so no additional purchases are necessary. I WILL EVEN INCLUDE A NEW SPEEDO-CALIBRATION BOX FREE OF CHARGE ($130 value)! 1-2 hours installation to swap differentials, and your done.

Later

Viper-differential.jpg

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with 00prowler, the 3.73's are great(see mods below). Fun driving around and gas mileage is 20 on the highway. Of course, when your foot is in it, forget about it. I think I paid less than 1000 with the box.

Mike

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wilddude,

I assume for $1,000 you just had someone install the ring & pinion in your existing differential unit. Just want to clarify, so people realize my price is not exorbitant. On the contrary, it is extremely low for a completely new differential.

I should have just posted this in classifieds. Sorry.
dunno.gif

P.S. - Currently in the classifieds, there are 2 used stock 3.07 differentials selling for $800 and $1000. Ummmm, $1500 - $800 = $700 bucks! Something to think about....

Later

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much would a new differential with 3.33 cost? would it be cheaper to buy a used differential and add the 3.33 gears?
and who sells them the cheapest? e-mail me if you dont want to post prices on the board, thanks.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MASH,

Can't help you here.... Actually, I am trying to help a friend sell this part. He sold his Viper, and never had a chance to install the 3.73 differential. I know he paid close to $2,000 total for new diff., cal. box, tax/shipping. I only have this one unit for sale. Just trying to help a friend.

I know that Mopar Performance only sells the complete units in 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 ratios (per ad above). Not sure about the best method for the 3.33's. Give Jon B. or Chuck T. a try.... IMHO, if you can get the entire unit already assembled, that is the way to go. Then sell your stock unit.

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys, whats the best upgrade for a stock 1994/1995 rt/10? all i would consider doing in the future are bolt ons like exhaust, headers, throttle body upgrade, smooth air intake, and thats about it.

99.9% of my driving will be street driving, so what do you guys think????thanks!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first of all if all your doing is the bolt-ons you mentioned then save yourself a buck and forget about the TBs. re the gears; 3:55 work real nice and still streetable. i drove to LA and back and it drove like a dream. call JonB @ partsrack and get your gears swapped.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you will feel the difference with smooth tubes. They only give you a couple of horsepower at the high end. If you mean bigger throttle bodies, I think that will hurt your street performance. Headers and exhaust will sound nice but I don't think you will get any seat of the pants improvement out of them. If they gave you an extra 5% horsepower out of a stock engine on the street, could you feel it?
From what I hear, the rear gear change will give you seat of the pants improvement. I'd go with that if you have to do something. A nice loud cat back is good too.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I assume for $1,000 you just had someone install the ring & pinion in your existing differential unit. Just want to clarify, so people realize my price is not exorbitant. On the contrary, it is extremely low for a completely new differential.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, that price was for the complete unit and speedo calibration box, not just the ring and pinion.

Mike

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wild Dude, Where did you get your complete diff with speedo calib. box for a grand? I am looking to do a gear change and for a grand, I would pick one up today.
Thanks in advance.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wilddude:

Actually, that price was for the complete unit and speedo calibration box, not just the ring and pinion.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please E-mail me where you got this deal from, or post it, thanks

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport,
Thanks, I've been in touch with Unitrax about changing out the gears in my GTS, but if Wild Dude has a line on "complete units with speedo calib box for $1000" I'd rather go that way.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it off Ebay. Just lucky, but right now there are several stock units being sold at a great price. Just get the ring and pinion. You'll be able to keep your stock unit and the "performance" unit. Good luck.

Mike

Reaction score
Depending on what you want to do. If you want a great all motor car at the track the 3.45 gear is the way to go. If you want to spray nitrous and break some records I would go with the 3.33.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Folks. I spoke with the gentleman I am selling the unit for (showed him this post), and he decided to drop the price a bit. Although, this is the LOWEST he will sell the unit for, SO NO COUNTER-OFFERS PLEASE. PRICE INCLUDES SHIPPING!

1.) New Mopor Performance 3.73 Differential - $1,275

2.) Differential with Speedocalibration box - $1,350

Later

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Onerare Did your friend buy this unit for a Gen1 or Gen11? Is there a difference?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He bought it for a 2000 GTS, but I don't think there is any difference. This unit will work will any model (Gen I or Gen II). 'Please confirm before considering a purchase'.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper