Door Nick (paint or not)

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a nick in my drivers door on my blue/white gts and am wondering if I should fix it, when the sun hits it a certain way I can notice it , other than that , not noticed. is it worth it to fix it or am I gonna have problems matching paint color? ((it really bothers me)) Does anybody know of a good painter in MASS. or NH. area? thanks
FLX

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOT It would be a shame to have the whole door painted just to hide a small nick. Most likley the paint would have to be blended into the side of the hood and the rear quarter panel.
IS IT WORTH IT TO YOU Just my two cents.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through the same thing, I bought a showroom quality gts from a collector, got a scratch in passenger door, driver sail panel and a few chip in front fascia, just from driving once in a while on weekend.

If it is a car you enter into car shows, then you might want to have the door painted. Otherwise, if you are going to drive the car on the street, these thing are just going to happen. I bought a tube of touch up paint, fixed ding, scratch and chips. Its not perfect but no one else can really see them.

It will get expensive to repair the complete panel every time a little nick or scratch happens.

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a suggestion for you. I run a new car dealership and I have a company that comes twice a week to touch up trade in's. They use a process to touch up chips that doesn't require sanding or spaying. They add a chemical to the paint to make it very thick. Then they take a squeege and smooth it over the chip or scratch. 3 minutes later they take a rubber block with a rag over the top of it and add another chemical that will remove excess paint. They repeat this process until they build it up until it is smooth. It works great!!!! The nice thing about the process is that if the paint doesn't match perfect they just wipe it off and start over.

The reason I'm posting this is because a lot of dealerships have someone that does this process. You just need to call arround your area and find out what dealership has this available. These companies will be happy to do a private individual's car. You can also look at their work on the car lot. A typical 2 or three chips should cost about 35 to 50 bucks.

I hope this helps. Brett (if you have any questions about how to find someone in your area I will call the school that teaches this process and try and hook you up with a vendor.)

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This system sounds like it might work for me, Any information of dealers or companies that do this process in Massachusetts?
thanks
FLX

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just start calling new car dealers and ask them if they have a vendor that does touchup work and what process they use. If you have no luck finding someone my guys will be at my dealership on friday. I know that there is a school they attended to learn this process. I will get the number and call the school and see if they have trained anyone in your area. Let me know if you need my help!