Fluid(s) change

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How often is it reccomended that the fluids are changed? Specifically...brake, clutch, coolant, rear end and transmission. My car is two years old. The only track time has been a couple of Viper Days. Thanks!!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it should have been done before your first viper days and also after your last viper days. Brake fluid before & after if tracked, once a year if not. tranny & diff, i change mine every 10K unless the car is tracked then 2x's a season.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion...after researching posts I decided on these fluids for a 95 with low miles, not track raced.

Trans - Mopar from dealer - synthetic, clear fluid (not red dextron) used in current Vipers, need 4 quarts. Easy to do with lift...take off trans skid plate, open drain plug, drain, close, open fill plug, get 3-4 inch tube just smaller than opening of trans, insert in trans and squeeze bottle in other end. This is a little tricky and messy because you need to try to cram the bottle up wherever you can to get it higher than the fill hole. I put almost all 4 quarts in and when I pulled out the tube a bunch leaked out which is good. Just have a funnel ready and wait until it stops, then plug.

Differential - Mopar from dealer, currently used in Viper, need 4 oz additive and 2 quarts fluid
I bought a suction device from Murrays for about $15 (it looks like a small bicycle air pump) and my dad worked one end inside the differential moving it all around in and out while I pumped a billion times until we were sure all was out. Put 4 oz. additive in first, then using same method as trans with small tube squeeze in 41-43 oz. until it overflows when tube is removed. Let drain and plug.

Coolant - Zerex G5 from Autozone. This was a long but relatively easy process because I only wanted distilled water in my Viper.

Power steering - Mopar from dealer, need 1 quart. Turkey baster, sucked out reservoir, wiped clean, filled, started car moved steering wheel back and forth 20 times, repeated entire process two more times. Drove car, drained and refilled one more time the next day.

Brake fluid - Motul 600 RBF. If you race your car use Castrol RBF for $80 per bottle(not the stuff at Autozone). You can get it at a motorcycle place for $10 per bottle. I bought 3 bottles to be sure I had enough but was told 1-2 will do. You can't keep this stuff so I'll use the extra in other cars. I bought a pressure tank and ordered the adapter to fit the Viper yesterday from Miller.

Clutch fluid - Motul 600 RBF. Turkey baster, sucked out reservoir, wiped clean, filled, pressed clutch 20 times, repeated entire process two more times. Drove car, drained and refilled one more time the next day. Be extra careful with Motul since it will eat paint, put tons of towels over everything.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig & anyone else who cares to respond (like Viper Wizard):

Am wondering about my coolant as well - regarding need to change it. Car has 1250 miles on it and bought new in Feb '01. It is an '01 RT10. Seems rediculous to have to change coolant this upcoming Feb (two years having passed). Do you think a change is necessary? Car has never been tracked, never driven hard....three oil and filter changes so far and that's it. Any suggestions? Push it or just bite the bullet and change it?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is overkill but it totally depends on you. I'm planning on every three years but taking extra precaution to follow the correct process, only use distilled water, and buy the best materials.

Some would say the distilled water is overkill but I can't be convinced using tap water is good. You truely have no idea what is in it. Of course, I'd drink it but not put it in my Viper.

On another note, it's only $20 and an afternoon...

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig:

Thanks for the response. Agreed, $20 bucks and a few hours is no big deal, plus the block drains are easy to get to. Using distilled water is the way to go as well. Your advice is appreciated!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be wary about messing with the plugs if I were you. I searched posts and found many people stripped the holes in the aluminum.

This takes a long time, but if you drain the radiator, fill with distilled, run car until thermostat opens, the water will mix with the coolant in block. Let cool and repeat...4 times. I think I bought 16 gallons of distilled water.

It took a long time but I did other things in between cooling periods. There is a post on this in the "How to" off the main page.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig:

Thanks for the advice. Makes no difference to me how long it takes - sounds like a good Saturday afternoon (winter) project! Am going to do it some weekend this December when the wife is out of town.....that way I can work at my own pace while burping out all the air. Should the radiator cap be replaced???

Steve

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know what value replacing the cap would be. Unless you are getting air in the system. Burp it after changing and check it in a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prosperitymirra