CALLING ALL CALIFORNIA VIPER OWNERS! I NEED YOUR HELP! OR ANYONE KNOWLEDGEABLE IN VIPERS!

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there some kind of certificate or sticker on a Viper that makes it 50 State legal? Or are all Vipers 50 State legal? I have someone interested in my car from California and he said he was told that I have to have this sticker or he can't buy it. I don't understand how a Viper could only be legal in certain States and illegal in others??
confused.gif
I could really use some help please. If the sticker exists, where would I find it? I'm going out for a while but I hope someone can help me by the time I return. Thanks!

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
trey,

all dodge vipers from 99 and up are 50 state legal from the factory.. if someone in CA wants to buy a used pre 99 viper from out of CA the car must have at least 7500 miles on the clock..

in short, your 01 is 50 state legal.. on the other hand, that huge shot of nitrous isnt legal anywhere..
smile.gif

as far as bi yearly smog certification and inspection is concerned, you might want to email some of the more prominent CA guys and see how they handle the situation... they might be able to recomend someone..

- eddie -

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Uhh, uhhhmm, I live in California, but i don't know nuttin'.

And I can prove it!

smile.gif

Ask me something else.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/osreg.htm#BM2561

What should a California resident look for when buying a new vehicle from another state?

Individuals are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California, and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase.

For more information, call DMV at (800) 777-0133.

http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/013509.html

http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/006017.html

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on 10-17-2002 at 08:36 PM</font>

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Marv, you da man!

That was Marv-elous!
smile.gif

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT
Order the CA sticker from Dodge $2-$4
the 7,500 mile rule is dead and stinking - its history.
If you want to know more email me
Gavin

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys! This information was invaluable to me! When making the post in the 1st place, Marv was the 1st person to come to mind! I just didn't have the time to search for his info. Thanks Marv. pretty cool to be able to come here and get basically any question answered!
smile.gif

COOLASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a sticker between the windshield and the brake master cylinder. Its white about 5x8" in size, this is where the Ca. emisions sticker would be.
cool.gif

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He should be o.k. to purchase YOUR vehicle as a USED vehicle: "Individuals are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state..." This only applies to NEW vehicles only, right? So the 50-state label only for buying new as I see it.

After the vehicle transaction, I think he'll also need to get it smog tested and then go to the DMV vehicle inspection line. The DMV car inspector will first check the car physically including VIN, id on the door, etc. Then go show paperwork, pay fees, and get plates inside.

Tell him to make an appointment "on-line", sure cuts down in the waiting time.

https://eg.dmv.ca.gov/foAppt/Welcome.jsp

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey-
In addition to what everyone said above regarding registering a stock car in CA:
Was the potential buyer talking about a stock car or your modified 650R?
This is a totally different story. I believe your car has visible slip tube headers and sticker, a invisible upgraded camshaft, and an audibly louder exhaust. There is a chance that this car will get sent to a referee or to a dyno smog facility. If this happens, then there is a chance it may not pass because there is no carb numbers for those parts. In addition, I believe may tuners not located in CA use a fairly aggressive camshaft (makes for a great sounding, lopey idle, but may have difficulty passing smog) which may mean the car may not pass smog period without significant tuning, quad cats, etc... We had to use a VERY conservative cam for our LETHAL 650 and 750 packages in order to pass the emissions sniffer.

Don't mean to get you down, but something to think about if you sell it to a CA buyer.
good luck,
Wayne (LTHL VPR)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Lundeen:

Hmmm, what color is your Viper?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! Thats an easy one! Its black, can't ya tell?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
California is getting real strict, so I hope this doesn't ruin your day.

Most every place is doing a visual inspection on top of the sniffer test.

From the California Bureau of Automotive repair:

What is the "underhood" inspection portion of the Smog Check?
Why is it necessary if you pass the tailpipe inspection?

The tailpipe test alone cannot guarantee that a car is not emitting harmful
amounts of pollutants into California's air. In fact, to obtain a Smog Check
certificate, a vehicle must pass all three portions of the Smog Check
inspection-the visual, functional and tailpipe inspections. (See previous
question.)

An "underhood" inspection comprises the visual and functional portions of the
Smog Check inspection. The visual inspection ensures that the vehicle has all of
the proper equipment and that none of its parts are disconnected or modified.
The visual inspection helps prevent evaporative emissions. These occur even
when the vehicle is parked, and may be the result of poorly connected or
improper equipment.

What do I need to know about engine modifications?

The following apply to any modifications or deviations from the original
emission control configuration:

You must use Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) specification
parts for use in your specific year, make, and model of vehicle; or

The part must have an Executive Order (EO) number that shows it has
been exempted by the California Air Resources Board for use in your
specific year, make, and model of vehicle; or

The equipment used must be certified by the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency (USEPA) for use in your specific year, make, and model
of vehicle.

Check out the Bureau's "Engine Change Guidelines" brochure on this Web site
for additional information.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ulysses:
From the California Bureau of Automotive repair:

What is the "underhood" inspection portion of the Smog Check?
Why is it necessary if you pass the tailpipe inspection?

The tailpipe test alone cannot guarantee that a car is not emitting harmful
amounts of pollutants into California's air. In fact, to obtain a Smog Check
certificate, a vehicle must pass all three portions of the Smog Check
inspection-the visual, functional and tailpipe inspections. (See previous
question.)

An "underhood" inspection comprises the visual and functional portions of the
Smog Check inspection. The visual inspection ensures that the vehicle has all of
the proper equipment and that none of its parts are disconnected or modified.
The visual inspection helps prevent evaporative emissions. These occur even
when the vehicle is parked, and may be the result of poorly connected or
improper equipment.

What do I need to know about engine modifications?

The following apply to any modifications or deviations from the original
emission control configuration:

You must use Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) specification
parts for use in your specific year, make, and model of vehicle; or

The part must have an Executive Order (EO) number that shows it has
been exempted by the California Air Resources Board for use in your
specific year, make, and model of vehicle; or

The equipment used must be certified by the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency (USEPA) for use in your specific year, make, and model
of vehicle.

Check out the Bureau's "Engine Change Guidelines" brochure on this Web site
for additional information.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

such bull... what does it matter if i strap a rocket to my trunk as long as it burns clean? let me get this straight, my exhaust emissions could be cleaner than the air we breathe, but i'll fail the visual because of a k&n filter? WHAT???

i swear if my wife didnt have family here in CA and she wasnt such a daddys girl, i would be gone... probably to AZ or NV.. i wonder what emission laws are like there? maybe i'll go to florida.. i hear chuck has a spare bedroom...

- eddie -

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>such bull... what does it matter if i strap a rocket to my trunk as long as it burns clean? let me get this straight, my exhaust
emissions could be cleaner than the air we breathe, but i'll fail the visual because of a k&n filter? WHAT???

i swear if my wife didnt have family here in CA and she wasnt such a daddys girl, i would be gone... probably to AZ or NV.. i
wonder what emission laws are like there? maybe i'll go to florida.. i hear chuck has a spare bedroom...

- eddie -<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'm not sure who to thank for such BS laws, but they are there and every now and then they enforce them.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In California, I'm not sure since I haven't researched it. But people have been known to have their cars impounded for having Nitrous.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are ways to keep smogging your car to a federal standard even after bringing it in to CA. So, though parts may not have CARB numbers, as long as the tailpipe emissions are below the fereral standard for the car it can still receive current registration.

There are lots of ways to work around the system.

-Matt

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LTHL VPR:
Trey-
In addition to what everyone said above regarding registering a stock car in CA:
Was the potential buyer talking about a stock car or your modified 650R?
This is a totally different story. I believe your car has visible slip tube headers and sticker, a invisible upgraded camshaft, and an audibly louder exhaust. There is a chance that this car will get sent to a referee or to a dyno smog facility. If this happens, then there is a chance it may not pass because there is no carb numbers for those parts. In addition, I believe HMS uses a fairly aggressive camshaft which may mean the car may not pass smog period without significant tuning, quad cats, etc... We had to use a VERY conservative cam for our LETHAL 650 and 750 packages in order to pass the emissions sniffer.

Don't mean to get you down, but something to think about if you sell it to a CA buyer.
good luck,
Wayne (LTHL VPR)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really appreciate the information Wayne! Thanks for taking the time to help me. I've learned a lot more about Vipers in the last 24 hrs! Thanks.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You have most of the information you need and the following is correct:
1. All Vipers from 99 on are 50 state certified and it says so right under the hood, up near the driver's window.
2. Mods may cause problems in California certification, mainly if they have to do with internal issues.Usually easy to do after you own the car, but can cause issues as the car will have to be smogged regardless.
3. The 7500 mile issue is still alive, but it only pertains to cars prior to 99.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem. My post was intended to help, glad it did.

As others have noted, there may be some smog stations that could let things slide, but it's getting more and more difficult to do. There are HUGE penalities (something like $30k + losing license) if a shop is caught bending the rules. If you work with the buyer, hopefully you can find one. To avoid attention, you may want to yank the 650R stickers off the side and rear. It may make scare some smog stations. Making it look as stock as possible helps too (install header heat shields, etc.)

good luck!
-Wayne

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LTHL VPR:
No problem. My post was intended to help, glad it did.

As others have noted, there may be some smog stations that could let things slide, but it's getting more and more difficult to do. There are HUGE penalities (something like $30k + losing license) if a shop is caught bending the rules. If you work with the buyer, hopefully you can find one. To avoid attention, you may want to yank the 650R stickers off the side and rear. It may make scare some smog stations. Making it look as stock as possible helps too (install header heat shields, etc.)

good luck!
-Wayne

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a PM. Thanks.