Cloyes Timing Gear - Gen1??

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a Cloyes hex adjust timing gear/chain set
to be installed with a Crower cam in my gen 1 (1993).
I had Crower drill the cam for 3 bolts so that I could
use the Cloyes gear set, cloyes pn9-3152a. Everything
fits but i'm concerned about the configuration of
the outer face of the cam gear. The OEM gear has several
notches that activate the cam position sensor. The Cloyes
does not have the notches but has a machined ridge on the
outer part of the gear. I'm afraid that this different
configuration will cause problems with my cam position
sensor inputs. Has anyone used this set-up on Gen 1's???

Thanks

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you ever get the cam to work with your positioning sensor? I did not know that the cam needed to be drilled out to work with the Cloyes timing gear, since it is listed as a "Viper" adjustable timing chain and gear set. I was just going to order one, so please let me know how it works.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will only work with the Gen2. The Gen1 Gear is needed to give camshaft input data to the computer. As far as I know do you have to go with the Stock Timing Gearing (it's Cloyes).

There is other ways to adjust the camshaft then using the hex bolts.
Offset Cam keys can be used...

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason I need the adjustable timing gear is that my Comp Cams camshaft is off by almost 4 degrees when set with the stock gear position. A degree or so may be due to the stretched timing chain slack.I know of the other ways of altering (shimming-offsetting-slotting) the stock timing gear, but the Cloyes Hex-adjust timing gear set would be a much nicer/easier set-up. I just wonder what Red93RT did to get his to work. Maybe it only needed a little machining on the front ridge of the timing gear.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP is correct,Cloyes is definetly the way to go with Gen 2 but with gen 1 you will need to offset with a degree bushing,you can use small block chevy bushing(why not put a little chevy in your car) and drill out the cam gear.VERY IMPORTANT.If you are changing to a different profile cam you cannot use the factory timming marks for cam timming you must degree your cam,that is why James Bell is finding that he is 4 degrees off.This i cannot stress enough is a very important procedure as if you set it to your factory timming marks without degreeing,your results will be a car with no power/detonation or worse.As degreeing is a very precise technique requiring special tools i would highly recommend having it done by someone who is very familiar with this procedure.There are two methods of degreeing,one is using the intake centerline,while somewhat easier,not as accurate as using the opening and closing figures @.050"tappet lift off of the cam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth