any tips on racing a 68 Camaro 396??

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a $1,000 dollar run this coming saturday in English town with a friends 68 Camaro..No slicks, all street tires..He is putting on only Mickey thomson race tires..He has a 396 big block, around 400 horses..Car is worked nice..Probably in high 11"s or mid 12"s..Can anyone tell me how to launch the car with spinning them???

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just say to keep in mind the Viper is not set up nor was it intended to be a quarter mile car. In the Viper world we say: It's not a matter of IF a Viper will pass you but when. In the long run the Viper will win.

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, I am NO expert

I sure hope you get in some practice runs first, or that'll be an expensive day for you if it's a high 11 second / low 12 car. It took me alot of practice to get my best time, and there's so much more to learn. I was told to lauch from barely over idle, slipping the clutch out to a good roll before nailing it. With that advice, I was able to pull off a 12.29. That was on street tires. If you're running Pilots, and he gets to run street slicks, that seems a little unfair to me. Put some slicks on yours, and you'll be a good race.
My 2 cents

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Becareful !! I have a 69 Z-28 w/ a 383 stroker..these are 1/4 mile cars...My Rt has alot more top end, but in the quarter? not a chance..They hook alot better than vipers do..However, a supercharger or NX system could help ya ! Good luck....If its a stock 396 ..you'll when !

2000RT (steel Grey)
1969 Z-28 (383 stoker)..

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 68 Camaro with 396 is a dog if stock check their times 13.20 to 12.60's. however if it has been worked that's a different story. You should do your homework before putting up your dollars, good luck.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
He is putting on only Mickey thomson race tires
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know which M/T tire that is? ET street will hook almost as well as a slick. Stock the 396 would be a low 13 sec car and with good tires maybe mid 12's If the motor has some work done then, as you said, low 12's high 11's would be a good estimate. Hooking a Viper with stock tires is very hard to do, it depends alot on the track prep. Good luck

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If it's a stock 396 camaro you will have no trouble at all.

I recall a kid in high school with the big bad '68 396 camaro. 4.56 gears and a high stall th-400 trans. Car had huge rears and front skinneys. Looked fast. Sounded even faster. It never went under 14.0 at Firebird or Beeline.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely your not going to do this with no experience with street tires on a dragstrip? Good luck, 2000 - 2500 rpm and slip the clutch out before you hammer it.

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BACKNBLACK:
Can anyone tell me how to launch the car with spinning them???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tony, If that's what you want just rev the car to 4,000 rpm, drop the clutch and mash the go pedal. That may give some impressive sounds and smells but I'd recommend a launch without spinning them (too much)if you want to win a race.

dead.gif

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on 10-31-2002 at 08:33 PM</font>

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a guaranteed method that you can practice on the street and easily mirror at the track.Snap the clutch back from an idle,while hammering down the throttle.you'll probably get a 1.9to2.0 60ft.with a 12.20-12.40run.The problem with leaving like a pro at 2500-4000 and slipping the clutch is the major smoke the tires high 12-13second screw up factor for drag strip beginners.One or two tenth options
tongue.gif
ump up the fronts 45psi and rears down to 25,remove your air filter,make sure your clutch is cooled down between runs.Last guaranteed tip,rent a TOOFAST NOS system and we'll split the winnings
wink.gif

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you positive it's a 396? When we go to the street races, EVERY big block is a 396! LOL (In which case, we automatically assume it's a 468). With that said, check to see if he has aluminum heads on his "396". The average joe wouldn't waste the money putting aluminum heads on a 396.

If the car is as you stated "Worked nice" and he will have M/T ET Streets (or M/T Sportsman Pros) then you might want to reconsider. From the surface, the advantage would go to the Maro.

Just my 2 cents.

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you bet a thousand dollars then ask how to drive your own car? Id think if you were confident enough to bet that kind of money,you should already possess the skill to back it up.Not a flame,just curious. Keep in mind,its all about the tires.He needs to run you on a radial,not a bias ply.

Joe

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marv S:
Originally posted by BACKNBLACK:
Can anyone tell me how to launch the car with spinning them???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tony, If that's what you want just rev the car to 4,000 rpm, drop the clutch and mash the go pedal. That may give some impressive sounds and smells but I'd recommend a launch without spinning them (too much)if you want to win a race.

dead.gif

Marv, Maybe you and toofast didn't understand. 2500 rpm and slip the clutch all the way out before applying the rest of the throttle. Its good for high 1.70 and 1.80 sixty foots at the track. I guess I don't really know what I am doing though, at VOI I believe I had everyone else in my class covered by two and a half tenths .25 I wish someone would post all the times. ****, send the info to me and I will post it. ta
edit: This is with stock Michelins.

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
1TONY1, my response was not to you but to Tony aka BACKNBLACK in jest as he asked how to launch "With spinning them". we cool?
cool.gif

What class, times and et did you run at VOI?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BACKNBLACK:
........Can anyone tell me how to launch the car with spinning them???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem here Marv, my bad. Didn't see another Tony. Is he not proud of his name ???? Class....ah ...whichever the bolt on / no power adder street tire class was, modI I think. 11.64 1/4 mile @ 123.?? 7.60 1/8 mile. No roller rockers, headers, high flow cats and exhaust, throttle bodies/filters....just the Venom 500 stuff. sorry, Tony

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BACKANDBLACK did you or did you not race the camaro, you asked for help now tell us the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper