Header Gaskets!

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I jusr replaced a leaking gasket after just 4000 miles. The bolts seems to work themselves loose alowing a small leak which burns the gasket enough that it needs replacement.I was using fancy 12 point bolts with locking thingies and retainers. I suspect the torque and vibration causes this. Ideas? Torque specs?
confused.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK, Ill bite.......With the lock washer employed, this means the aftermarket bolts were likley not tightened enough initially. If in doubt, RETORQUE after 1000 miles.

Factory spec is 200 Inch-Lbs. But Performance headers take even more. You cannot strip a 7/16th with hand torqued bolt.

Did you ENSURE any / all old gasket material was cleaned/gone?

If you use a 12-pt bolt, you must be using an open-end wrench? .....versus a 7/16 inch box-end wrench/socket that is much easier to tighten. 1 12-pt bolt head cannot take the torque of a 6-pt.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of headers did you use? You should just use factory exhaust gaskets with high temp silicone. Mine have never come loose since using factory gaskets. I have all kinds in stock if you can't find any.

OP
OP
J

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have Borla headers and did just install a factory high temp silicone gasket. The previous gasket was a gray fiber and very thick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave