2000.... Powdered metal cylinder liners???

ELW98

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could anyone (who knows for sure) tell me if the 2000 model year with the "high oil consumption" condition, was the only year affected. Or is this a problem with LATE 99-02 Vipers due to the Powdered metal liners??? And if not, what years are OK?

Thanks to all!!

Ernie

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Answer to your first question with liner problem was first few 2000 cars (I can't remember exactly how many...but as I recall, less than 200...maybe fewer...for more info, do a search using JonB for the author as his answer gave build dates and numbers)

In MY opinion, ALL of the 2000 forward Vipers have a potential for ring seating worries, hence the NEW and RIGID breakin instructions as covered in Viper Mag, Spring 2000, page 36 written by Herb Helbig.

Remember that emission standards got tighter about that time...there are reports of ring problems (high oil consumption) with a few Vipers...AND Z-06's...AND Porsche 996 Twin Turbos... by my recollection as well. Makes it tough on manufacturers...we want MORE HP, better durability; EPA/CARB/etc. want fewer emissions, lower fuel usage; makers are scrambling to keep up; oil companies having to serve MANY masters...low startup drag, maintain lube properties/anti-wear at high temps, substitute additive packages as some products banned or reduced while providing anti-corrosion protection, etc: and gasoline companies having to "mess with" their formulations all the time !!! TOUGH BUSINESS...especially when some buyers of this type auto can't seem to hold themselves to the breakin recommendations at all. Glad that I just have to buy them and drive them !!!

I am sure that there are more informed opinions that will follow,... thought I'd just try to get the topic rolling.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Here's a quote from 10/25/01 from JonB:

"The cylinder walls were not "powder coated"
They were manufactured of "powdered metal" which is compressed at 400,000-500,000 PSI into cylinder liners. The tight-bore of the 2000+ motors turned out NOT to be a good decision, and those liners were discontinued on 10/25/1999.

The fix will not adversely affect the resale value....it will likley IMPROVE the resale value !

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 RT/10 fell within the date for the ill-fated cylinder liners, but I never had a problem with excessive oil consumption. Since then the work by Jason Heffner has superceded any issues I might have had.

Just my 2 cents...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper