OIL PRESSURE GAUGE FLUCTUATING

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my 1996 rt/10 black/silver stripe on sunday with only 10,000 miles. car looks cherry. bought from dealer in GA and had shipped up. Drove on highyway for the first time and boy does this car have !*!*! Owned several vettes through the years from 1990-1996. Anyway purchased with 3 yr 45,000 mile warranty plus.
When I drove on expressway at varibles speeds and accelerations noticed oil pressure guage fluctate. Should I BE CONCEREND AND SHOULD IT BE CHECKED? Engine wasn,t overheating.

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check your oil level while parked on a level surface. If the the sump was overfilled you could be foaming the oil and losing pressure.

Reaction score
Adam -

Congrats on your new ride! When you described the problem you may be experiencing, it's hard to diagnose without being more specific. When you say "fluctuating," do you mean (20 - 80 psi) or more like (0 - 20 psi) ?

20 - 80 psi would be fine, but 0 - 20 psi could indicate a problem, be as it may, gauge or not. Professionally speaking, to diagnose or obtain a more accurate oil pressure reading a "mechanical oil pressure gauge" can be temporarily installed into the same hole as the factory electrical sending unit. A good mechanic can do this procedure in no time with a generic mechanical gauge purchased at almost any auto supply house.

PS. If you need any tech advise we will be open this Thursday and Friday after Christmas.

Regards,
Doug

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may be down a quart of oil. Pump ***** a little air, shows up at stop lights. Oil is on top and gauge will bounce until oil flows back down and pump picks it up again. Top of your oil should go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh