extended warranty on older cars; in-service date cut-off?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm still searching for a GenI car, and had a question about getting/adding an extended warranty on such an old car. I checked the archives, and it appears that there is an 8 yr cut-off for doing this, i.e. as of tomorrow, only '95 and newer cars
will be eligible. However, after a conversation with BillP, I'm
under the impression that the cut-off is actually 8 years from when the car is first put into service (when the car's factory
warranty is started). So if someone bought a leftover '93 from a dealer lot in, say, Jan '95, it'd still be eligible for an extended warranty, whereas someone who bought an early '95 in Nov '94 would not be eligible. Is that correct? I'm curious, because based on the archives, it appears that I'm going to have to expect that any GenI car will need the gasket work done. The warranty appears to cost about what the gasket repair does, and obviously will cover a whole lot more.... I guess the level of coverage varies on the plan chosen; the Dodge website doesn't offer much of any info regarding coverage. I'd probably go with the highest coverage level (there's a "bumper-to-bumper" plan, isn't there?). The warranty prices seem to be quite variable, so leads on dealers with good pricing would also be appreciated.

Thanks all, and have a safe and Happy New Year!
Mike

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike, several dealers I spoke to said that 9 model years is the deadline for an extended warranty, hence today is the last day for a 94 and next Dec 31st would be the last day for a 95. Not to worry though, my 94 has the extended warranty until 2006.
smile.gif

-Jonathan

Midgetfist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,
I have recently considered purchasing a '98 GTS out of warranty - see http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/016015.html

I have been informed by Bill Pemberton (Woodhouse) and Mike Robbins (Ringgold Dodge) that out of warranty Vipers with an inservice date of greater than 4 years are no longer eligible for extended warranties. I also thought that 8 years was the limit.

Douglas

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy, that *****... I had hoped it was possible to add the warranty to any car I might have found... Now it looks like I'd need to look for one that already has one. Hmmm, I wonder where I might find one of those....
wink.gif

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I JUST BOUGHT ONE FOR MY 94RT10 ABOUT A MONTH AGO. CALL LATHAM DODGE ASK FOR PAUL DODGE.