Porsche owner twith a few ??? Thinking of switching to a Gen-1 Viper, should I?

Jack

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between a rear-engine 2900 lb Porsche and a 3300 lb Viper. They are totally different driving experiences. I think you should ask yourself what you want to drive. I've had an older Porsche and a Delorean (similar feel), so if you really like the rear-biased weight and sound of the motor 6" from your head, and have $30K to $35K to spend I'd recommend a couple of other options first. '91-'93 Acura NSX are in this price range and probably most reliable exotic car you can find. '99 to '00 Boxters are available in this range, usually have some remaining warranty. If you're adventourous and like to do some of your own work, there are late eighties to early nineties Lotus Esprits in this price range.
Not to say a Viper isn't a good choice, it's just different from what you're used to driving.

Jack Janney

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blah, blah...blah, blah, blah...

Guess what...<FONT size="5">YOU ARE SNAKE BIT!!!</FONT s>

Nothing you can do about it...just pick up a rad GenI and get it over with!
supergrin.gif

I am pretty sure THIS ONE is still available...Get an Illinois VCA member to check it out for ya...Rumor has it $32K will buy it!

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ryan, good choice of Vipers. Great minds do think alike. What a world of differnce between the Gen 1 RT/10 and Gen II GTS.

-Jonathan

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had three Porsches. The 944T had a few problems that didn't turn out to be too expensive, but were a bear to figure out what went wrong. The 993C4 I had was flawless and had no problems whatsoever. I then got a 993TT. It had a few problems periodically. Nothing serious but stumped the local mechanics. With the 930, since it was made in the same era of the 944, it will tend to have many more problems. I'm not really sure the Porsches got that reliable until the 993's.

Personally, I think the Viper is pretty easy to work on. Its a pretty simple design. The torque curve is so much flatter than the 930 I think it will be much easier to drive. In traffic the low end torque of the Viper will make it much easier. The turbo lag in the 930 has got to make it difficult in traffic.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sold my '86 911 and bought a Gen I ('94 RT/10) and couldn't be happier. Got tired of getting beat by Corvette's etc, that doesn't happen any more. My Porsche was reasonably reliable but had a few issues that were constant headaches. My Viper has been perfect without a problem (knock on wood) even though I drag and autocross it fairly regularly.

Based on your comments "Boxster is a girls' Porsche", "NSX is still a hopped up Honda" and "Lotus is too expensive to maintain" I'd say you sound exactly like me...which makes you an ideal Viper owner. You'll be happy with one and with the market down a little I think you should be able to pick on up in or near your current price range. Rule of thumb (if not overly obvious) get the latest model you can afford since they did fix a few issues along the way. But I was partial to the side pipes and the convertible so a Gen I RT was all I was considering. '94 seemed to have the most available and got me the best bang for the buck.

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I OWN BOTH A PORSCHE AND A LATE GEN II VIPER RT-10..

THEY ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERANT WORLDS...

THE PORSCHE IS LIGHT AND NIMBLE AND EASY TO DRIVE FAST.. THE PORSCHE WILL TAKE AN AMAZING AMOUNT OF ABUSE WITH ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS!! I HAVE DRIVEN MINE 450 MILES TO LAGUNA SECA RACE WAY UNCORKED IT, RACED THE HELL OUT OF IT AND THEN DRIVEN IT HOME..

THE 930 PORSCHE WAS DESIGNED AS A ULTRA HI PERFORMANCE CAR INTENDED TO BE DRIVEN HARD AND DAILY AND IS VERY WELL THOUGHT OUT....

THE VIPER IS ULTRA FAST AND AS TORQUEY AS HELL AND A COMPLETE BLAST TO DRIVE..

BUT IN MY OPINION IT FEELS VERY LARGE AND HEAVY COMPARED TO THE PORSCHE AND IT DRINKS GAS.

ALL OF THE RT-10 SOFT TOPS ARE A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE AND TAKE 20 MINUTES TO INSTALL..COMPARED TO THE TARGA TOP ON THE PORSCHE WHICH TAKES 30 SECONDS TO OPEN AND INSTALL!

IF YOU WANT A UNIQUE CAR THAT IS A GREAT WEEKEND WARRIOR BUY A GEN 1 1/2 WITH WINDOWS AND MORE HP..

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twolane,
Welcome to the Viper Nation.

1. The cars seem to have head gasket issues, do all of the cars have this problem? No they do not all succumb to gasket failures.

And I know a newer designed gasket has came out and will this solve the problem or will they keep on blowing at every X amount of miles? Yes, the GENII gaskets have solved the problem.

How much does it cost to have the repair done by a good shop? $1500 to $2000 seems to be the price range.

2. How hard are the cars to work on? They are not hard to work on and much easier than a Porsche.

Can the head gaskets by ones-self or is this a job best left to others. Depending on how comfortable you are with a wrench, it is not that difficult a job

I have a Turbo Buick with alot of upgrades and it has to be worked on constantly and I am decent when it comes to most repairs, if I could work on the car myself I would prefer it.
The car will not be a problem for you to work on.

3. My Porsche has the big 930 Brembo brakes and with the 2750 lbs weight of my car it has kind of spoiled me when it comes to brakes. The person that owned the viper and 930 said this is the only area the 930 bettered the viper. So, how good are the stock brakes on the Gen-I with stock pads and with hawk or any other good brand of performance pad?
Your Viper use determines your pad for stock brakes. Most use EBC Greens for street and many consider the Viper's braking to be it's weak point. I haven't had any problems on the street and find it brakes well. Porsche brakes and Porsche weight is an apple to oranges topic compared to a Viper. Most guys that race usually swith to StopTech Brakes, Brembo's or several brands that are made of the same quality.

I have 34k miles on my '96 and while it's not a true GenI ('92-'95) there considered Gen 1.5's due to having the GTS alum susp and increased HP and lots of other goodies. I have no gasket problems or problems of any sort.
Something you probably aren't aware of is that a FACTORY warranty can still be purchased on most Gen1's!

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Two Lane, my red 94 RT/10 is for sale and has a full Dodge warranty until 2006. It's listed in the classifieds section of this board.

Jonathan

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a very fast well sorted out red 95 with both tops and tons of extras for sale. This car has zero problems and is very fast.It is in near perfect condition and has chrome wheels and perfect paint. Look in the classified section. Mike (In Austin Texas)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
IF YOU WANT A UNIQUE CAR THAT IS A GREAT WEEKEND WARRIOR BUY A GEN 1 1/2 WITH WINDOWS AND MORE HP..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Corrrect about being unique, and is really a Gen 1.5, but still no windows. Best of the Gen I's (Gen I engine and no windows), but here is a great price on a 94, although his colors in the interior are interesting. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6209&item=1876780 185&rd=1 or email this guy for a 96 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6209&item=1876481 234&rd=1

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the same position as you five years ago. Had to buy at $40,000 or less. Got my 95 with 7,000 on the clock for $40,000 five years ago. ( Great deal!) IT IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE! You will not be sorry! Try to get one with a warranty.....

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two lane, if I were you, I would spend a little more like low 40's and get a 1996 GTS. More power, stiffer chassis, better handling, and not to mention, a hard top in case the shiny side does not stay up! Paolo

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not so sure you'd be happy, Mr. Porsche. Most P-guys are more into their cars than their performance, but I applaud those ex-porsche owners that have switched and are satisfied.
Living with a genI is not easy. They're too hot, too cold, or too windy for the average poser. Remember, this was Carroll Shelby's design,and it is really an updated Cobra. I'm not so sure you'd enjoy ownership. Save your money, a GTS may be better for you.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my .02
I have never owed a Porsche but I do love my Viper.
The soft top is not a "NIGHTMARE", after the first couple trys it only takes a few minutes to install (like 4 or 5 minutes)and who wants to drive a roadster with the top on anyhow?
I have had great luck (knock on wood) with my Gen 1, only replaced a $40.00 p/s hose that leaked. I have put over 20K miles since I got it 3 years ago.
I am not loaded with $$$ so I needed to find a Viper that fit in my price range, I also think the sidepipe cars are more of a true "old school" type of car the Viper was designed to be.
Anyhow BUY A VIPER, you wont regret it.
Cheers,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth